Foreigner Begging for Money in Bangkok Sparks Investigation

webfact

I don’t know why tourists and expats complain about how expansive things are.  And trying to make a go of it. 
This proves there are always opportunities for all in the LOS 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

There was a guy from the Netherlands doing that there in 2021/2002. We bought him snacks and beverages, but he insisted on money. Don't really remember if we obliged him, but we were aware that was his source of income at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Those falang backpack beggars have been in/around Bangkok for decades, always seem to be same Khaosan road types.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

(...) the foreigner had been asking for money with a message saying he needed a flight ticket to return home, please donate 20 baht, thank you.

Guess, he's not planning to fly First Class then...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Are these people committing a crime ?

Well there is a requirement for visiting foreigners to have a certain amount of money &/or enough money to support themselves, and if they are tourists, where's their follow-on airplane/travel ticket? It's not just Thailand that feels this way, many countries have the same requirement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Used to be a young guy hanging round the bus terminus in my town with a sad story about having lost the cash for the bus fare home. Every single day.

You didn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to spot the telltale signs that he was spending the money on drugs.  I'm guessing this farang beggar is doing the same. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Masterton said:

Funny how some on here automatically assume he has fallen on hard times and actually needs a plane ticket. Most of these types are scam artists praying on the genorisity of other people (mostly Thais) to fund their 'stay' in Thailand. Personally I find 'begpackers' despicable and give foreigners here a bad name. 

I saw him outside Chatuckak market mid morning two weeks ago  , where he appeared to be rolling up and stashing his bedding at the back of the bus stop opposite Bangsue Junction .  definitely had the look of someone who slept outside for the night ...... my immediate take on it was Eastern European and on the piss   ........ if you know what I mean  . 

just been reminded of a friend David , a very bright English teacher in his late 50's ,    we were both staying in a dorm on Khao San road about 35 years ago ......    David was very over stayed , had an illness he would not discuss , I don't remember very seeing him eat , and was a full on alcoholic ...     he was holed up in the PB guest house drinking him self to death because he could not bare the thought of immigration prison before being deported .... he genuinely did not think he's make it out the other side , although he wanted to return to the UK for medical treatment  .......... He wasn't begging be he was pretty desperate ......   just sayin" 

Edited by Chetzee
incomplete
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I used to donate to these people when I travelled to the UK, in London subway but then I watched a very informative show on tv about a blond women that woke up in the morning in her Knightsbridge  house,, she did her dirty make up and put on <deleted> clothes then went begging,, never again will I give money to these people

• Agree 1