Jump to content

Best Bangkok hospital for facial skin cancer?


Recommended Posts

Yup. Sitting in the sun while young is catching up to me. I was told a few years ago to be careful but one spot is starting to bother me now. Need it looked at.

 

I normally go to Samitivej on soi 49. But wondering if there is a better place to go. This could be serious.

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't be too careful,in the last 8 years I have had 5 Squamous cell carcinomas on my brow ,neck and ear, resulting in 3 skin grafts,my skull thickness reduced by 1.5mm,removal of lymph nodes and my ear reduced by half.

The grafts and lymph nodes all done under general anesthesia.

Followed by 6 weeks of daily radiation treatments.

Skin grafts done in Australia, lymph nodes and ear done in Thai government hospital @100,000thb

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

"But wondering if there is a better place to go. This could be serious."

 

 

Yes,  I would go to your home country and get MOHS surgery.  Here, they wanted to make a 6 inch incision along my cheek down past my nose.  It would have disfigured me and made my face uglier then it is.  MOHS surgery is less invasive and they biopsy immediately what they remove and make sure they got it all. 

I don't think MOHS is a regular procedure in Thailand.

 

At Brumungrad, which I still think is the best facility in Thailand, we can argue about cost, but the surgeon did a traditional deep removal of the legion and afterwards took samples of the margins for analysis.

 

My Doc here in the US says MOHS would have been the preferred method had I had it done here

Edited by GinBoy2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

If you get facial skin cancer, what you see is the reality of what you're facing.

 

Maybe tough to see but thats what it is!

 

I'm just happy that it got caught in time, they tested the margins and I was clear.

 

A scar on my face is a small price to pay IMHO

Was it done by plastic surgeon? Or by dermatologist?

 

Usually for large removal area (or deep incision) they will refer to plastic surgeon for optimal cosmetic result. Costs more, though

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Was it done by plastic surgeon? Or by dermatologist?

 

Usually for large removal area (or deep incision) they will refer to plastic surgeon for optimal cosmetic result. Costs more, though

Plastic surgeon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Plastic surgeon

As for the scar, the plastic surgeon did a good job, especially when you look at the location.

 

It's still visible but not bad.

 

One of the girls at work a few weeks ago when we were talking saw it asked what it was.

 

To enhance my bad boy image I told her it was from 'cage fighting' 

 

......she didn't believe me lol

 

But on a serious note, what the surgeon was concerned about was making sure that my lower eyelid wasn't stretched out of position, which he did a great job at

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If in Bangkok, best option is the Government Institute of Dermatology

 

https://www.iod.go.th/en/

 

Go through after hours clinic is best. I can't recommend a specific doctor but tell them you need an acharn with expertise in skin cancer.

 

Otherwise Dr. Anna in Pattaya trained in US and specializes  in skin cancers

https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/doctor/anna-jaruwarn-m-d/

I went to BPH, but the doc I saw, a lady, but can't remember her name, recommended something like a punch biopsy. I was headed out of town for a few weeks so delayed the procedure. As you know, BPH doesn't have the best reputation. So I was looking for a second opinion and perhaps a less invasive biopsy technique, like a scrape.

 

I'll find out the doctor's name.

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I had bowens disease, which is skin cancer under my left eye,  had it removed at Brumringrad back in 2018.

 

Scar today, you can see it, but it's not much.

 

Biggest thing you need to be careful about is that the surgeon doesn't stretch the skin, certainly if it's by the eye as mine was that it doesn't impair eye movement

 

Thanks for sharing. Shows how serious it is. I had a neighbor die from a spot on his ear. Didn't want to treat it and the cancer got to his brain.

  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Was it done by plastic surgeon? Or by dermatologist?

 

Usually for large removal area (or deep incision) they will refer to plastic surgeon for optimal cosmetic result. Costs more, though

One of the downsides of living in Thailand

 

I was, after tons of google searches convinced that this eruption on my face was some kind of eczema since my family had a history of it

 

So off i trotted to the local pharmacy and self treated myself with stronger and stronger cortisone creams until the dumb <deleted> that I am figured out this ain't working.

 

Now if I had living in the West I wouldn't have had access to the meds which I was treating my self diagnosis, and a real doc would have sent me off for a biopsy long before I actually did it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

One of the downsides of living in Thailand

 

I was, after tons of google searches convinced that this eruption on my face was some kind of eczema since my family had a history of it

 

So off i trotted to the local pharmacy and self treated myself with stronger and stronger cortisone creams until the dumb <deleted> that I am figured out this ain't working.

 

Now if I had living in the West I wouldn't have had access to the meds which I was treating my self diagnosis, and a real doc would have sent me off for a biopsy long before I actually did it

Maybe a further cautionary note.

 

Even though I was stupidly self diagnosing, I had right at the start gone to a Doc in Khon Kaen who 'confirmed' my self diagnosis which led me down the road of stronger and stronger meds.

 

The reason I went to Bumrungrad in the first place was I thought they could/would prescribe stronger cortisone that I was buying.

 

I remember very well the dermatologist looking at me and telling me, "I don't think so, this needs a biopsy as soon as possible" 

 

Within two weeks I'd had the biopsy, confirmed what it was, and a plastic surgeon was taking care of it

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe a further cautionary note.

 

Even though I was stupidly self diagnosing, I had right at the start gone to a Doc in Khon Kaen who 'confirmed' my self diagnosis which led me down the road of stronger and stronger meds.

 

The reason I went to Bumrungrad in the first place was I thought they could/would prescribe stronger cortisone that I was buying.

 

I remember very well the dermatologist looking at me and telling me, "I don't think so, this needs a biopsy as soon as possible" 

 

Within two weeks I'd had the biopsy, confirmed what it was, and a plastic surgeon was taking care of it

Thanks for sharing. Got an appointment in 2 weeks at Samitivej. They do Mohs.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2024 at 7:14 AM, Roo Island said:

Yup. Sitting in the sun while young is catching up to me. I was told a few years ago to be careful but one spot is starting to bother me now. Need it looked at.

 

I normally go to Samitivej on soi 49. But wondering if there is a better place to go. This could be serious.

 

Thanks in advance!

I've generally used Samitivej.

 

But I had a tumour removed in Chulalongkorn. 

 

Excellent nursing. And the doctors DO know what they're about.

  • Love It 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2024 at 7:44 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I had bowens disease, which is skin cancer under my left eye,  had it removed at Brumringrad back in 2018.

 

Scar today, you can see it, but it's not much.

 

Biggest thing you need to be careful about is that the surgeon doesn't stretch the skin, certainly if it's by the eye as mine was that it doesn't impair eye movement

Scarface.jpg

 

Thanks for sharing. As they say a pic worth a thousand words, all the more so when it comes to medical matters. Much appreciated.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, watthong said:

 

Thanks for sharing. As they say a pic worth a thousand words, all the more so when it comes to medical matters. Much appreciated.

A rather small inconsequential scar on my already ugly mug was a small price to pay.

 

My only regret was not taking it more seriously sooner.

 

After this thread I posted on my work fb about this.

 

I work for an airline and I tried to impress on the young pups the importance of sunscreen outside.

 

This is one of those things you never think or worry about when you are young, but Oh Boy does it have a long time bite you in the ass about it!

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got an appointment with Dr Anna at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. She's really busy! They can't do Mohs surgery, so got another appointment the next day at Samitivej and they have one doc who can do Mohs. I'll have 2 solid opinions and can decide what to do after that.

 

Bumrungrad also can't do Mohs.

 

From Samitivej.

 

In response to your request, please be informed that we only have Dr. Paritas (Dermatologist) who performs MOHS surgery at our hospital. The patient will need to see the doctor for initial consultation, get a physical examination and discuss with the doctor for the details of surgery and if he is a good candidate for MOHS surgery.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2024 at 7:14 AM, Roo Island said:

Yup. Sitting in the sun while young is catching up to me. I was told a few years ago to be careful but one spot is starting to bother me now. Need it looked at.

 

I normally go to Samitivej on soi 49. But wondering if there is a better place to go. This could be serious.

 

Thanks in advance!

I would normally use Samitivej - perfectly good - but, on this occasion, Chulalongkorn was more convenient.

 

A rectal tumour - checked, shrunk, and surgically removed; and no follow-up issues, to date.

  • Love It 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnAllan said:

I would normally use Samitivej - perfectly good - but, on this occasion, Chulalongkorn was more convenient.

 

A rectal tumour - checked, shrunk, and surgically removed; and no subsequent issues, to date.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...