Is there a comfortable scooter where you don't feel bumps in the road

Pattaya seems to have the worse roads for back pain, 20 mins of riding around and my back hurts, on koh Chang last week, no problem as the roads are much smoother. 

I have a Honda Click, yes i can get better shocks, still not sure they'll be good enough.

Is there a scooter that's smooth even over speed bumps?

I don't really want another enduro type bike or motorbike unless a last resort

• Like 1

The Honda ADV 160 has slightly better suspension travel than other scooters.

But the best bike I had for bad roads was a Honda CRF 250M.  It's now a 300 and the Motard version is no longer available, but Kawasaki also do 250 and 300 trail bikes, and the motard version is best for roads.

The Honda CT125 is also a good option if you like semi auto.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

The Honda ADV 160 has slightly better suspension travel than other scooters.

I bought one as I prefer a very firm ride - see my previous post about the PCX.

The ADV is a marketing excercise - it is the scooter equivalent of an SUV and, in my opinion, the suspension has little travel and is totally unsuited for off-road (ADVenture) use but, with the very stiff frame, this makes it very stable on the highway. The "aggressive" tyre tread pattern is an unnecessary sham and I will probably replace them well before they wear out.

It is a great bike though!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Younger people enjoy the bumping.

Older riders, might not.

If the bumping becomes too bumpy, then stop the riding.

Anytime you are on a smaller bike, then you will feel the bumps more.

Therefore opt for something larger, and this is the only way, as physics tells us....

image.png.76023af715f405d9b470adc551442256.png

I never rode on anything less than a Honda 450CB, in 1970.

And, that was far too tiny for me.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think nobody mentioned it until now. The tire pressure is also important.

It seems many Thais put a lot of pressure in those tires. I guess they do that to make them faster - 1km/h or whatever.

If you lower the pressure, then you will feel the bumps not so much.

Obviously don't have the pressure too low. Just try.

That's an easy "fix" for free.

I pump up the tyres myself and they vary from 25 to 40 at the back depending when i bother to do it, I've not noticed any difference in smoothness. Koh Chang vs Pattaya massive difference, no potholes or bumps every 100 yards 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I found the PCX the softest-riding scooter - which is why I don't ride one any more. Some would describe the ride as "plush", but I would describe it as "vague and wallowy". Undoubtably comfortable though!

You're right there when i rode a PCX once it had a floaty armchair feeling, didn't like it at all, but there is a benefit it seems

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some people recommend standing up over bumps but doesn't seem to work well on a scooter

I don't know exactly what makes a scooter a scooter.

As far as I know standing up is not necessary. The point is to have your weight on your footpegs/feet (not the seat or the handlebars) and that somewhere in the center of the bike.

With that position the bike can kind of swivel around the center of gravity. And that makes us feels the potholes or bumps in the road not so much.

• Like 1

The Click is one of the worst. And it is made for smaller people. It has a very stiff and low end suspension. I would suggest a Honda ADV160, or even better a Honda Forza 350. I have the latter. It is a very smooth ride. You might need to step up a bit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, papa al said:

Well. If you are bearing all weight thru the feet

that is standing

or at least squatting or something.

This allows shocks to be absorbed by the elasticity of musklies & tendons, &c.

Dirt bike stuff.

& speed-bumps.

Let's say: Put some weight on the feet (instead of worst case sitting and dangling the feet in the air). 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Short answer. No.

Longer answer. Faster you ride, the more you'll feel bumps. Tyre pressures (and also the tyres themselves) and shocks make a difference. Seats can have padding added. Standing legs bent makes a difference.

I have an ADV at the moment; used to have a PCX. Both pretty comfortable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have a Honda Click, yes i can get better shocks, still not sure they'll be good enough.

The stock shocks are <deleted>, get YSS fitted and the SAG measured for your weight. But don't get the cheapest one, at a minimum get the one with rebound and preload - tell them  you want a softer ride when you set it up. You can also get YSS springs for the front forks as well. 

Also, as someone else said, tyres make a difference. If it is the 160 Click, the stock IRCs are pretty good, but get the Pirelli Angel Scooters for even better comfort. 

Doesn't matter what scooter you buy, they all come with budget suspension. 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

The stock shocks are <deleted>, get YSS fitted and the SAG measured for your weight. But don't get the cheapest one, at a minimum get the one with rebound and preload - tell them  you want a softer ride when you set it up. You can also get YSS springs for the front forks as well. 

Also, as someone else said, tyres make a difference. If it is the 160 Click, the stock IRCs are pretty good, but get the Pirelli Angel Scooters for even better comfort. 

Doesn't matter what scooter you buy, they all come with budget suspension. 

What YSS should i get? seems different options 2k to 5k, G series, 320, 340, no idea what the difference is?

I had a Honda wave 125

I took the seat to a local upholsterer

He put more than 1 inch of padding in and wider 

Job done i never suffered from a jarred back again

Did many kms in her and its still running on farm tracks up in Udon

1691168917170.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya seems to have the worse roads for back pain, 20 mins of riding around and my back hurts, on koh Chang last week, no problem as the roads are much smoother. 

I don't really want another enduro type bike or motorbike unless a last resort

Never had problems with the Mark 1 Beer Scooter - even puts me to bed but doesn't always leave my clothes tidy 😊