Is there a comfortable scooter where you don't feel bumps in the road

Careful... as per another thread... Kwilco will be on here telling you there is no such thing as a scooter !!!....  its not a legal term...yadda yadda, yadda... 

As far as comfort goes....   Bigger wheels.. better suspensions...   a number of bikes modify their suspension and switch it out to Ohlins (yes, even scooters)...  but I suspect a lot of them are just 'fakes' and the change is cosmetic more than performance. 

I thought about getting Ohlins on my Vespa (as many seem to do), but its not really a 'performance thing' so the idea is silly.

I liked the Honda ADV150... the newer 160 may have decent suspension... the ADV350 may be better still... 

I drive around pattaya on MSX Honda , it’s so small , I can get thru any traffic , the bigger the bike slower it is , it doesn’t bother my back and it goes over those safety bumps with ease because of big tires 

• Agree 1

I had a few Honda PCX bikes over the years, which had a very hard seat. I solved the problem by getting a custom made seat with extra foam padding in the front area where I sit. That also made it way more comfortable to drive on a rough road.  For the last 3 years I have driven a Honda ADV150, which has a good suspension, so extra padding has not been needed. I've heard that that ADV150 was to high for thais, so Honda made the later ADV's with a lower sitting hight. If they just did it, by removing a few centimeters of padding in the seat, the seat may need to be customized for better comfort. Make sure that you get your own bike seat customized, so you don't end up exchanging it for a cheap aftermarket seat.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Careful... as per another thread... Kwilco will be on here telling you there is no such thing as a scooter !!!....  its not a legal term...yadda yadda, yadda... 

As far as comfort goes....   Bigger wheels.. better suspensions...   a number of bikes modify their suspension and switch it out to Ohlins (yes, even scooters)...  but I suspect a lot of them are just 'fakes' and the change is cosmetic more than performance. 

I thought about getting Ohlins on my Vespa (as many seem to do), but its not really a 'performance thing' so the idea is silly.

I liked the Honda ADV150... the newer 160 may have decent suspension... the ADV350 may be better still... 

"Fakes”. Why do Thais go for so many obvious pathetic fakes? Brembo brake calipers which are just covers, fake non functioning extra tail pipes. Stuck on bonnet air ducts,also non functional,so simply slow the vehicle down! Badly fitted and scruffy rear spoilers again just slowing the vehicle down. Arrays of dials on the dashboard serving no practical purpose. 

All of these would be regarded as "naff” and subjects of ridicule in western culture. Denotes a pretty poor mentality.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya seems to have the worse roads for back pain, 20 mins of riding around and my back hurts, on koh Chang last week, no problem as the roads are much smoother. 

I have a Honda Click, yes i can get better shocks, still not sure they'll be good enough.

Is there a scooter that's smooth even over speed bumps?

I don't really want another enduro type bike or motorbike unless a last resort

What is your weight? The Click springs are probably weighted for about a 45 - 55kg rider. Give YSS in Samut Prakan a call and see what they can do for you. Don't go to the local bike accessory dealer.

Admittedly there is not a lot of travel in the Click suspension, but well weighted and oiled front and rear suspension will make a world of difference.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep i try to avoid all drains and pot holes etc, i got YSS fitted but no noticeable difference 

If I decided to get a MC I would have similar issues to deal with plus occasional 200km round trip.

I would be looking at Suzuki VanVan or its Yamaha equivalent the TW200:

Suzuki VanVan 200 Slant Rear View Full Image

• Thumbs Up 1

As a Bolt frequent flyer, I must have ridden on the back of every brand of scooter available in Thailand. The two with the most comfortable suspension are the Forza and the Scoopy.

The Forza is very difficult to dismount as a passenger - I do a reverse handspring off the back - often with a half-twist depending on the level of intoxication. 

The least comfortable are the Click and the Wave. Especially when they inflate the tyres to 60psi.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:09 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know exactly what makes a scooter a scooter.

As far as I know standing up is not necessary. The point is to have your weight on your footpegs/feet (not the seat or the handlebars) and that somewhere in the center of the bike.

With that position the bike can kind of swivel around the center of gravity. And that makes us feels the potholes or bumps in the road not so much.

Why are these small motorbikes suddenly being called 'scooters'? Scooters were Lambrettas or Vespas back in the day.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LS24 said:

The Click springs are probably weighted for about a 45 - 55kg rider.

That explains it thanks! Mrs bought our Honda Click. 63,000 Km on the clock for 15,000 baht. She drives it, I ride pillion. I'm 104Kg and she's 90Kg.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eastlight said:

Why are these small motorbikes suddenly being called 'scooters'? Scooters were Lambrettas or Vespas back in the day.

If it has a floorboard, it's a scooter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

We have a ADV 160 and a click 160 . The ADV rides speed bumps far better than the click and has superior brakes.

The adv is not so manouverable in the city traffic and that is when i choose the click, bumpy ride or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LS24 said:

What is your weight? The Click springs are probably weighted for about a 45 - 55kg rider. Give YSS in Samut Prakan a call and see what they can do for you. Don't go to the local bike accessory dealer.

Admittedly there is not a lot of travel in the Click suspension, but well weighted and oiled front and rear suspension will make a world of difference.

Weight limits; may be a few owners/riders who shouldn't be carrying a pillion:

From the 2023 Honda Click 160 manual:

Maximum weight capacity 129 kg (284 lb): Including rider, passenger, all luggage, and accessories.

That's not much.

Comparison, other bike we have, a 2013 Yamaha Fino 115, manual states:

The total weight of the operator, passenger, accessories and cargo must not exceed the maximum load limit 163kg (359lb)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Maximum weight capacity 129 kg (284 lb): Including rider, passenger, all luggage, and accessories.

That's not much.

The total weight of the operator, passenger, accessories and cargo must not exceed the maximum load limit 163kg (359lb)

Many thanks! Best to ride our Yamaha Fino from now on. Although still 31kg overloaded. Mrs can ride her Yamaha XMax but I really struggle to get on and off the pillion.

Ah sweetheart, now you see it and feel it - as you grow old, things happen. And then people will say, just eat less and do a few more reps at the gym - don't be so lazy - have more will-power. 

I am so happy you have a pet name for me - - 

Yours truly - Diabetes legs... 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya seems to have the worse roads for back pain, 20 mins of riding around and my back hurts, on koh Chang last week, no problem as the roads are much smoother. 

I have a Honda Click, yes i can get better shocks, still not sure they'll be good enough.

Oh! I have been to Pattaya a lot, and the roads are not that bad. I suggest you try to avoid the road bumps instead. Cheaper for you and better for any bike you would buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:29 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Get a custom seat made. There is/ was a place that did that in Chiang Mai, so must be other places that do it.

23 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Oh! I have been to Pattaya a lot, and the roads are not that bad. I suggest you try to avoid the road bumps instead. Cheaper for you and better for any bike you would buy.

Or the Op,  could push the boat right out,  and just slow down when the speed bumps come. :cheesy:

I do wonder when I see these sort of threads. :stoner:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

That's not much.

What you have quoted is the maximum weight case, not the optimal weight that the bike is sprung for. At maximum weight case there is a possibility within margin of failure of the damping system seals, shaft or just plain overheating.

If you care to reread the OP's post they want the best ride available to them. To achieve that, the bike needs to be sprung correctly and damped correctly to the rider's mass. I hope that clarifies for you.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Is the scooter smother two-up? If so then it needs some suspension tuning for solo riding. 🤔

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Avoiding the road bumps is the best advice, I'm doing that and riding slower, seems to be working, new YSS shocks, not noticed any difference maybe placebo marketing or maybe 10%.

2nd road bad

3rd road half of it good

Beach road good

Sukhumvit mostly good

Buakhao surprisingly good if ride not too fast.

It's all the little short cuts which are bad so I'm avoiding those until I'm bored of doing it

1 hour ago, quake said:

Or the Op,  could push the boat right out,  and just slow down when the speed bumps come. :cheesy:

I do wonder when I see these sort of threads. :stoner:

ah but it's not just the obvious speed bumps, it's all the drains, potholes and lumps