Thai government may lift afternoon alcohol sales ban to boost tourism

webfact

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

As I've been saying every time this comes up now it's only the 2-5 pm being mentioned. Seems they are going to ignore the midnight to 11 prohibition. 

Yep. The 2 pm to 5 pm ban MIGHT go (but if so, it might happen several weeks or even months later), but I am pretty sure that the midnight to 11 am ban is here to stay, at least for many more years, and I also doubt very much that the tax amount on alcoholic drinks will be reduced anytime soon. 

• Agree 1

I would go back to live for a while if the government had not gotten so greedy. Chinese tourists are gone for good. Thailand tourism will continue to decline. That means my buying power would go farther. But, with the government getting involved it is a no go zone for me even with the current exchange rate. RIP Thailand.

Ridiculous rule but I've yet to hear anyone or any country say there not coming to Thailand because of the rule.  I find it extremely hard to believe this has any effect on tourism whatsoever.   But saying all that,  they should get rid of it.

It's nonsensical. 

Will be nice but not going to bring in tourists.  I went shopping at a makro or something and stared shopping well before 2 but by the time i checked out i couldn't buy the beer.  Did really irk me.  Many times the 2-5 ban has impeded me.  I like to grab a sixer or a 4pack  for the hotel or condo fridge.   Whatever original reason it shows typical thai lack of logic.  It should be an embarrassment to all politicians.   What losers. 

10 hours ago, baansgr said:

It's true

It was banned to stop office workers and officials extending their lunch break... nothing to do with stopping school children buying alcohol and skipping school.

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'd like to know where. M&P shops aren't open 24/7 (there are expetions but few and far between)

In my neck of the woods M&P shops are never open 24/7... most are run by the shop/home owner and they need to sleep sometime. Most open 6am and close around 10pm...

I don't know of one that remain open 24 hrs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

In my neck of the woods M&P shops are never open 24/7... most are run by the shop/home owner and they need to sleep sometime. Most open 6am and close around 10pm...

I don't know of one that remain open 24 hrs?

I know of some but they are in industrial areas so they cater to night workers also, but you are right. On the whole they are around the 6-10 mark. Sometimes there are none around at all and 711's are the most local shop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

It was banned to stop office workers and officials extending their lunch break... nothing to do with stopping school children buying alcohol and skipping school.

Initially yes but the school children bit was Thaksin when the hours were enforced in 2004.

20 hours ago, Almer said:

Short cut my ha ha ha

Always one xxxxhead, at my age nothing more than a shortcut.

There is a place on beach road at the bottom of soi 6 I have been using for 25 years, used to call it the Kodak bar, one of the few places in the old days you could sit and look out to sea with a large Chang.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:49 AM, webfact said:

revoke the rule that restricts alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm.

My local Family Mart, now Tops, won't sell me alcohol during off times but I see the Thais walking out of the shop 4am, 5am, 6am with bottles of beer. 

Probably paying cash, not requiring a receipt as the till won't allow the employee to ring it up. 

I don't mind the stupid hours, I end up going to a Thai shop and buy my grog, just disappointed that Tops sells to some but not others. 

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Treating people like children, and wondering why they do not seem to grow up...

I grew up in the bible beater south where it was very common to have "blue laws" that prohibited alcohol sales on sunday.  The bootleggers loved it as that was their busiest day as the bible beaters were good customers but just did not want others to see them buying or drinking the evil stuff...i found most bible beaters to be exceptionally hypocritical in what they preached and what they practiced.  Not a lot has changed in that regard.

Some counties in some states still have all sorts of blue laws and a few are totally dry with zero alcohol legally sold.  Some states sales of liquor is still run by state controlled ABC..alcohol beverage control...stores owned and run by state government so no hard liquor sold in grocery stores etc.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:56 AM, flyingtlger said:

LOL, it might help the tourism industry a little but if it is lifted, it'll sure make all the local alcoholic happy!!!

Cheers!

Stupid comment!!!! The alcoholics buy it in the morning or in small mom & pop shops all over the day.

But it's good for the people which drive once the week shopping in bigger cities. The risk gone that they stay at 02:03pm at the cashier and buy a cart full of food but the beer they can't buy!!! 

This is the stupidest law I ever saw. Thailand has already a law that for buy alcohol a person must be 21 years old. They just must check the ID-Card.