Tragic scooter crash in Thailand leaves Queensland dad in coma

snoop1130

3 hours ago, sfbandung said:

I have lost track of the number of people I have warned about not riding a motorbike in Thailand. It should go without saying that if you don't hold a valid license to ride the same sized bike in your home country then you will not be insured. Every travel insurance policy I have seen explicitly says this. Same as no coverage for alcohol related incidents.

Bloody lucky the missus was wearing a helmet. I have very sympathy for the young family involved but now a hopefully generous public are being called upon to fund what was irresponsible behaviour.

Do you ride here?

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

The report sounds like his GF had a crash helmet and he didn't.....

The report seems to indicate that he had totally-inadequate medical insurance .......

Sadly, this is a real-world example of Darwinism.....

2 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

But... They had already one helmet,  and two parents chose to ride the E.Scooter!!!         Read the fine print in the story, just like he should have read and obeyed the fine print of the insurance policy. 

Yes he should have been further evolved.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know you are not completely serious. But I wonder how successful the average GoFundMe for such cases is. Do many of them get all the money they need, and maybe more? Or are many or most of those give me money requests ignored?

As in this case, there is almost always a link from where the progress of the begging campaigns can be followed.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

But... They had already one helmet,  and two parents chose to ride the E.Scooter!!!         Read the fine print in the story, just like he should have read and obeyed the fine print of the insurance policy. 

These travel policies do not have "fine print", they have easily read policy conditions and always have directions that the policy holder must read the policy.

• Like 1

This is a never ending subject motor bikes scooters accident medical insurance  then a last resort Gofundme 

Sorry to say people never learn you would have thought the number if incidents here in Thailand that are well advertised  people would get the message 

Hope he gets well and gets back to Australia soon 🙏 

I am staying in Hua Hin, and it is quite shocking all the people who do not wear helmets

when riding motorbikes. Especially tourists or idiot expats, who likely do not

have health insurance. If the Thais crash, well I just hope they have enough family support.

When tourists crash, well som nom nah, if they did not get health insurance, or spend a few hundred baht on a helmet.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

At 300 Baht per arrival, the 280000 USD bill of the gentleman would require about 25000 arrivals.

There were approximately 3.2m tourist arrivals in December and 2.6m the previous month so no problem for that scheme that doesn't exist.

51 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I realize the answer is probably no, but if you have a full M/C license from your own country like the UK, and wore a helmet would insurance pay out if you didn't have an international driving permit?

Depends on the specific insurer's policies but cover probably would be provided as the IDP is nothing more than a translation of the valid foreign driving licence.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As in this case, there is almost always a link from where the progress of the begging campaigns can be followed.

I am sure I could find such link.

But I don't really put the effort into that. Maybe someone else did that already and has a statistic of what typically happens. 

55 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

At 300 Baht per arrival, the 280000 USD bill of the gentleman would require about 25000 arrivals.

I think the article means AUD.

80k USD is closer to 3 million not the 2 million mentioned.... 80k AUD is just shy of 2 million.

280K AUD would need 21,875 visitors @ 300b ea.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I am sure I could find such link.

But I don't really put the effort into that.

It's in the original story.

Should be a ban on tourists hiring and riding bikes here, just far too dangerous insurance or not. They never learn and think nothing will happen to them, it's a gamble thats not worth the risk, not helped by their often lack of common sense.

4 minutes ago, proton said:

Should be a ban on tourists hiring and riding bikes here, just far too dangerous insurance or not. They never learn and think nothing will happen to them, it's a gamble thats not worth the risk, not helped by their often lack of common sense.

The link below highlights this...    Preventing unlicenced Tourists from renting bikes.....  just it was just another announcement after which nothing happened. 

Not just in Phuket (as per the AN article linked) but all over Thailand the Police were going to 'crack down' on shops renting out motorbikes to unlicensed tourists...   

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How quickly do you think that a house sale would produce cash?

might take a little hit but fast can certainly be done. 

If you want to sell your house for cash in the UK, there are several options available. Good Move offers a free cash offer within 24 hours, and the sale could complete in just two weeks. They will purchase any home in the UK, at up to 85% of market value. Using a cash buyer means that you won't have to deal with a property chain, so there's no need to worry about your buyer's house sale falling through. There is no official regulator for cash buying house companies, but there are several independent bodies that monitor quick sale companies like Good Move, including the NAPB, The Property Ombudsman, and RICS.