Thai pink ID card for foreigners in Phuket.

up2you2

At the Vachira Phuket Hospital hospital, the head of their International Department said that I would be eligible for a Thai pink ID card for foreigners.
This ID would give me 20% to 25 % discount off the hospital fees and charges.
Never heard of it, and since then I have made some enquiries.

I went to the Amper Muang, but as nobody speaks English I did not get very far.
Then I was introduced to an agent, who told me that the application would have to be made personally at the Amper Muang, and secondly I would have to bring along two Thais who could vouch for me, and act as witnesses.
I would also need to have an international copy of my Passport made -1,000 Baht.

So my question is please, has anyone achieved this holy grail.
And if so were there any forms that I should request, any any other documents that I need to take along apart Land Lease, Passport, Blue book?

5 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

At the Vachira Phuket Hospital hospital, the head of their International Department said that I would be eligible for a Thai pink ID card for foreigners.

Then I was introduced to an agent, who told me that the application would have to be made personally at the Amper Muang, and secondly I would have to bring along two Thais who could vouch for me, and act as witnesses.
I would also need to have an international copy of my Passport made -1,000 Baht.

And if so were there any forms that I should request, any any other documents that I need to take along apart Land Lease, Passport, Blue book?

I would go with the agent who will guide you through everything that the district office requires (different offices have different requirements). It will save you time, hassle and effort. Likely will be worth whatever the agent charges you. I did mine in Bangkok with help of GF. Still took two months and lot of trips to the office. I would gladly have paid an agent to help make it easier.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Having a yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) is a prerequisite for getting the pink ID card.   The requirements you mention seem to be those for getting the yellow book.  The work is all done in obtaining the yellow book, obtaining the pink ID card follows easily after that.  I obtained my yellow book from my local tessaban (sub-district government office) in Karon.  Then obtained my pink ID card from the amphur office (district government office) in Phuket Town.  Where to go will depend on where you live and what you already have.  No agent was required.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Would be surprised if possession of a pink ID card resulted in receiving any discounts at any hospital, but if it does certainly let us know.  😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 11:51 AM, skatewash said:

Having a yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) is a prerequisite for getting the pink ID card.   The requirements you mention seem to be those for getting the yellow book.  The work is all done in obtaining the yellow book, obtaining the pink ID card follows easily after that.  I obtained my yellow book from my local tessaban (sub-district government office) in Karon.  Then obtained my pink ID card from the amphur office (district government office) in Phuket Town.  Where to go will depend on where you live and what you already have.  No agent was required.

Thank you for your post.
Okay the Yellow Book is a prerequisite.

You mention your local tessaban (sub-district government office), is that the same as the Or Bor Tor please?
I live in Rawai, so I presume that it is this Rawai beach office I go to, or maybe I am wrong here.

When it is confirmed as to where I should go, could I please trouble you to let me know what is required. in so far as proof and documentation.
Any whether or not the owner of the Blue Book has to attend?

On 2/10/2024 at 11:02 AM, up2you2 said:

I've been to that hospital, and when I passed them my pink-ID/yellow book, they rejected such pushed it back and demanded my passport instead (that was over a year ago).

For certain I did not get a 20% to 25% discount off of any hospital fees nor charges.

But then again, I never 'pressed the issue'.  Maybe if I had 'stood my ground' and insisted they take the 'yellow book & pink-ID', I would have discovered such a discount.  Something for me to try next time.

I confess, my having superb subsidized Health Insurance (as part of my European pension) means I don't always look for the cheapest medical deals.    This is something I need to try harder in the future.

This was actually suggested to me by the head of the International Division there, she in fact wanted to give me the discount!

And how you got your Yellow Book, could you add to my pevious post please.

4 hours ago, up2you2 said:

This was actually suggested to me by the head of the International Division there, she in fact wanted to give me the discount!

And how you got your Yellow Book, could you add to my pevious post please.

The owner of the house where you live will have to attend the district office ( Amphur ) in person with you.

2 Thai witness

8 photos 1X1 inch

Your Passport copy certified by your Embassy, translated into Thai and then certified by Thai M.F.A, chaengwattana

Some offices require Birth certificates as well

Pop in to your Local office and inquire about the requirements, take some one to speak Thai

20 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The owner of the house where you live will have to attend the district office ( Amphur ) in person with you.

2 Thai witness

8 photos 1X1 inch

Your Passport copy certified by your Embassy, translated into Thai and then certified by Thai M.F.A, chaengwattana

Pop in to your Local office and inquire about the requirements, take some one to speak Thai

Thank you.

19 hours ago, up2you2 said:

Thank you for your post.
Okay the Yellow Book is a prerequisite.

You mention your local tessaban (sub-district government office), is that the same as the Or Bor Tor please?
I live in Rawai, so I presume that it is this Rawai beach office I go to, or maybe I am wrong here.

When it is confirmed as to where I should go, could I please trouble you to let me know what is required. in so far as proof and documentation.
Any whether or not the owner of the Blue Book has to attend?

Yes, I believe you would obtain your Yellow Book from the Rawai Tessaban office:

https://www.rawai.go.th/contactus/location

Then, you could obtain your Pink ID from the Phuket Town Amphur office:

You must get the specific requirements from your tessaban, they are very often different in the details.  Best wishes.

My house book and pink card required marriage in our amphur of Ban Mai Chaiyapot, Buriram even though I have an usufruct and all receipts for the buildings that I put up and paid for.  Bad trade, as it turned out.

Edited by notrub
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, notrub said:

My house book and pink card required marriage in our amphur of Ban Mai Chaiyapot, Buriram even though I have an usufruct and all receipts for the buildings that I put up and paid for.  Bad trade, as it turned out.

Rogue amphur

Marriage to a Thai is not required

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 11:52 AM, skatewash said:

Would be surprised if possession of a pink ID card resulted in receiving any discounts at any hospital, but if it does certainly let us know.  😉

have you read the first sentences of the OP?

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, DrJoy said:

2 Thai witness

8 photos 1X1 inch

All depends on the Amphur.

I did my  yellow book in Kathu and only my wife was required together with the copies.

Normal copies and no certification was required.

The OP claimed he was told " At the Vachira Phuket Hospital hospital, the head of their International Department said that I would be eligible for a Thai pink ID card for foreigners.  This ID would give me 20% to 25 % discount off the hospital fees and charges. "

Again - Has anyone reading this thread (with a 'Thai pink ID card') actually received such a discount?

My wife tells me that Vachira Phuket Hospital, a public hospital, is also the most reputable of the Phuket hospitals. Many good doctors like to work there because of its relatively high reputation.

Also, I was told many of the doctors only work in the Vachira Phuket hospital part time, and they run a private clinic outside of the hospital outside of the hours when they work at Vachira.  By working in the hospital, they are able to refer patients to their clinic.  

Purportedly one of the reasons the doctors like to have a private clinic, is because in a public hospital, they are only allowed to prescribe medicine that the Thai public care health system will pay for.  So if there is a superior medicine that is not covered by Thai medical care, when working on shift at the hospital, the doctor is not allowed to prescribe that medicine to a Thai patient.  BUT if the same patient, were to show up at the doctor's private clinic, then the same doctor would be able to prescribe the 'superior' medicine (although in that case, the patient would could not get the Thai medical care to pay for the medicine).

Purportedly the doctors like this, as then their hands are not 'tied' and they have a means in their clinic to propose the best medicine.  And those Thai who have the money (where the Thai medical system refuses to pay) those people can then still get the superior medicine.

As to whether a 'pink ID' will offer a discount?  I am skeptical - which is why I am asking.

• Like 1

Doctors at government hospitals are NOT limited in prescribing drugs not paid for by the Public Health System. They can, and often do, prescribe drugs not covered by the system.

But in that case, the patient must pay out of pocket for that specific item.

I believe Vachira is one of the government hospitals which practices multi tiered pricing, charging foreigners more. And it is possible that resident expats are in a different tier than tourists and that a pink card (or at least tabian ban, but if you can get the one, you can automatically get the other) is required to prove this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Doctors at government hospitals are NOT limited in prescribing drugs not paid for by the Public Health System. They can, and often do, prescribe drugs not covered by the system.

But in that case, the patient must pay out of pocket for that specific item.

Hmm ... My Thai nephew is a doctor , working in a private hospital in Ranong.  That is not the guidance he was given.  He was specially advised by his superiors when he is on shift in the hospital, NOT to prescribe drugs not paid for by the Public Health Care system.  Outside of the hospital, he is not limited.

The same is true for my Thai niece, who is also a doctor in a different hospital.

Perhaps the policy of hospital management varies dependent on the hospital.

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I believe Vachira .... And it is possible that resident expats are in a different tier than tourists and that a pink card (or at least tabian ban, but if you can get the one, you can automatically get the other) is required to prove this.

Perhaps. Again, has anyone been successful here (in getting the discount)?

Edited by oldcpu

5 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Hmm ... My Thai nephew is a doctor , working in a private hospital .....  That is not the guidance he was given.  He was specially advised by his superiors when he is on shift in the hospital, NOT to prescribe drugs not paid for by the Public Health Care system.  Outside of the hospital, he is not limited.

I mistakenly typed "private" when I should have typed "public".  He works in a public hospital.  There is no private hospital in the city where he works..  He has been warned more than once by hospital management about prescribing drugs not covered by Thai medical care.

I was lucky enough to get one of these things, however it was useless. Couldn't even use it to renew my 5 year driver's license. The bank didn't accept it. Once I used it to get on a plane but I could have used my driver's license. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

it was useless

The pink card may not be very useful but I wouldn't say it's useless. I managed to open a new bank account at KTB with yellow book and pink card without a residence certificate. Now you need a KTB bank account to deposit tax refund from Jomtein Chonburi revenue office.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was lucky enough to get one of these things, however it was useless. Couldn't even use it to renew my 5 year driver's license. The bank didn't accept it. Once I used it to get on a plane but I could have used my driver's license. 

Maybe it's you?

Used recently - since December - for two new driver licences, new bank account with Kasikorn, and to purchase a new vehicle.

Had a fuel pump fail when away from home, left bike with a repair place, they didn't do rentals but another shop did and accepted pink card to allow me to hire a bike for two days. 

Required for competition sports events I enter, and again to prove ID when I'd won a prize.

Hotels accept it as ID.

Was simple to obtain after I got my yellow house book, just a few minutes in the same office, fingerprints and another photo, 60 baht fee.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Maybe it's you?

Used recently - since December - for two new driver licences, new bank account with Kasikorn, and to purchase a new vehicle.

Had a fuel pump fail when away from home, left bike with a repair place, they didn't do rentals but another s of the back allohop did and accepted pink card to allow me to hire a bike for two days. 

Required for competition sports events I enter, and again to prove ID when I'd won a prize.

Hotels accept it as ID.

Was simple to obtain after I got my yellow house book, just a few minutes in the same office, fingerprints and another photo, 60 baht fee.

Could be. Anyways haven't seen said card for years, could be in the bin for all I care, useless. 

These cards are not really official anyway, they are  only required for migrant workers and some vstatekess people. 

Look on the back of your card and you'll see it says if you go to another province you need written permission from the district office. 

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

The pink card may not be very useful but I wouldn't say it's useless. I managed to open a new bank account at KTB with yellow book and pink card without a residence certificate. Now you need a KTB bank account to deposit tax refund from Jomtein Chonburi revenue office.

Indeed, every 5 years DL renewal it saves you a visit to immigration for a residence letter. Khon Kaen doesn't accept the unofficial pink card but ask for the housebook, the yellow one that many foreigners call tabien baan. 🤣

55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, every 5 years DL renewal it saves you a visit to immigration for a residence letter. Khon Kaen doesn't accept the unofficial pink card but ask for the housebook, the yellow one that many foreigners call tabien baan. 🤣

Extra value in our province Chanthaburi where Immigration do not issue residency letters - they refer applicants to their embassy.

Saved me another trip to Bangkok, DLT took copies of card and yellow book.

But as others have mentioned, different rule interpretation in different provinces.

Just now, gomangosteen said:

Extra value in our province Chanthaburi where Immigration do not issue residency letters - they refer applicants to their embassy.

Saved me another trip to Bangkok, DLT took copies of card and yellow book.

But as others have mentioned, different rule interpretation in different provinces.

Indeed, the yellow house book is an important document for any expat to get. My point is the pink card is not as useful as many think. For example, banks still require to see your passport if you are doing any transactions, getting letters for immigration, other than withdrawal/deposit. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Could be. Anyways haven't seen said card for years, could be in the bin for all I care, useless. 

These cards are not really official anyway, they are  only required for migrant workers and some vstatekess people. 

Look on the back of your card and you'll see it says if you go to another province you need written permission from the district office. 

You always peddle the same rubbish... 

You have Thai citizenship - so of course you wouldn't find any use for the Pink ID card.

These cards are issued as an ID for Westerners, they work as ID for Westerners, forum members have repeatedly posted examples how how the Pink-ID card has added a layer of convenience for them - so clearly, they are not just for migrant labourers. 

You have also misrepresented the wording the back of the card to fit your 'pink ID is useless' opinion and deliberately missed out a key point regarding province of issue and freedom of movement...    in doing so you deliberately post an un-truth, you do this in every thread regarding the Pink-ID.

On the back of the card (point #3) it states: "The person named on the card is prohibited from leaving the card issuing area, except for those with alien identification, or a person who has written permission'....

Our 'alien identification' is our Passport...      for anyone with a passport and also a Pink-ID there is no limitation on travel.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

For example, banks still require to see your passport if you are doing any transactions, getting letters for immigration, other than withdrawal/deposit. 

Wrong - you need to stop posting lies to fit your rheotirc.

- Banks have issued me with letters for Immigration, when presenting my pink ID as identification.

- Banks have permitted 'in bank transactions' when presenting my pink ID as identification.

Note: in this case the account was opened with Yellow Book and Pink ID

Edited by richard_smith237