Thailand’s sugar intake quadruples WHO daily limit causing health concerns

webfact

4 hours ago, watgate said:

When you see stalls situated near schools selling all sorts of sugary sodas and cakes and cookies and other assorted junk foods it is no wonder their is an epidemic of out of control sugar consumption in Thailand.

Not to even start about their ice coffee and tea, this is like 5 spoons of sugar each already, if not 10. No wonder then that there are sugar shortages in the world lately, and a <deleted> load of obese + diabetes as a consequence. Or those slurpies in 7/11, same thing, kids love those.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

Sugar is promoted here, just look at the supermarket shelves,

Products that have high sugar contents, like sweetened milk or regular sodas, have price deductions, while sugar free products either are out of stock or are priced higher

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He pinpointed sugary drinks as the main source of sugar in the Thai diet and urged manufacturers to cut down on the sugar content in their beverages. In a joint effort to combat the issue

So no changes then?

They even put heaps of it in their soup.

Actually it has become harder and harder to find good noodle soup, khao soi and dumpling soups that the vendors/cooks have prepared without sugar.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

As someone who has already lived in a couple of different countries, I have noticed VERY QUICKLY how Thais are STRONGLY ADDICTED to sugar, ALREADY AT VERY YOUNG AGE!

As if they got addicted already in mum's womb!

Compared to other cuisines, I find Thai food amazingly sweet, be it noodle soup, fried rice, salad,...

I have asked Thais, whether it traditionally has always been the case, and if so, whether they have always been using refined sugar - knowing that it is quite a recent invention in human history -, or whether they were using natural sweetener such as mango-based things... Nobody could give me any answer.

I have never been to Burma yet, but I have a Burmese co-worker who recently arrived in Thailand: while she is thankful for having the opportunity to escape her country's situation and to come to Thailand, the very first thing she "complained" about, was how sweet Thai food is! Her Burmese friends told her even before she arrived to buy cooking material, since she would not stand more than a couple of days eating outside!

But guess what: when we all have lunch together with the team, one of my Thai co-worker always feel the need to pour sugar in the already sweet meal! Exactly like the French who, like as a reflex, add salt in the already salty meal!

Edited by Modern Coding
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

You only have to visit Macro down the coffee Isles, many many 3 in 1 coffee sachets but 2 in 1 coffee sachets without sugar are almost impossible to find. 

This is not only in Thailand, but also in Cambodia and in Vietnam. I have always seen coffee + milk + sugar or coffee + sugar, but never coffee + milk.

sugar is cheap in production

as well 100% juice is extremly expensive in thailand , until some years ago you find the tax sticker ( like on wine) on all 100% juice  ,i dont know now they dont have tax stickers, so maybe tax gone, but price  the same