Search continues for British man missing in southern Thailand

webfact

A post contravening our fair use policy has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

Some off topic posts and replies were removed as well. 

kayaking and canoeing not the same guys....different stokes and balance

As to not wearing a life vest, it depends on type of water...ocean, sea, rivers large open bodies of water yes...small lakes like what one finds in Thailand less so

Wind is the most important nature element

Experience is highly recommended in either one 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials said 24-year-old Gowribalan Shanghaman was reported to have fallen from his kayak into the waters 

It was reported on the radio that he wasn't wearing a life jacket and had been kayaking illegally. 

3 minutes ago, uttradit said:
7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It was reported on the radio that he wasn't wearing a life jacket and had been kayaking illegally. 

Own fault then

By law he should have registered with the authorities which he didn't, this probably lengthened the time to search for him. 

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

By law he should have registered with the authorities which he didn't, this probably lengthened the time to search for him. 

National park isnt it? Mostly guided tours. How does one lose a kayak in a lake? Sounds like fowl play to me.

• Confused 1

I was just at this lake last week and its pretty still......very small waves indeed

I find it impossible he drowned, even if you can't swim ...... you should stay bouyant on the surface.....makes no sense

I suggest foul play for whatever reason, wasn't his friend with him? should investigate the friend

Edited by hydraides
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, hydraides said:

I was just at this lake last week and its pretty still......very small waves indeed

I find it impossible he drowned, even if you can't swim ...... you should stay bouyant on the surface.....makes no sense

I suggest foul play for whatever reason, wasn't his friend with him? should investigate the friend

Logic dictates that if one can't swim and doesn't have a life jacket flotation would be difficult...

Looks like the guy wasn't alone, I wonder why the other one just didn't tow him to the shore instead of going to look for help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Logic dictates that if one can't swim and doesn't have a life jacket flotation would be difficult...

Looks like the guy wasn't alone, I wonder why the other one just didn't tow him to the shore instead of going to look for help.

Exactly just let him hang on to the of kayak, makes my sense

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Murder would be my answer.

• Confused 1

I've read this with interest as I stayed at one of the old rickety bamboo floating national park owned lodges on Chieow Lan Dam (Khao Sok) 22 years ago back in 2002. I wonder how many commenting here on this thread have actually been there or stayed there? Nowadays there are many fancy resorts on the lake offering accommodation. 

Wasn't it in the last 18 months that an Irish guy drowned there too? IIRC.

Firstly, this a huge body of water and in parts extremely deep. Many/most places are very remote too with no mobile phone signals. At the time I was there, I commented that it was the quietest place I had ever been in Thailand (and still is). Truly stunning scenery, wildlife and tranquility. Well worth a visit. 

I too kayaked across the calm waters, with my father. It was only later, on return to the raft resort, that he told me he could no longer swim well. Of course, neither of us had buoyancy aids or life preservers. Yes, the water was cold and clear and no sight of the bottom. Probably some very large fish in there too.

Hopefully there will be resolution as to what happened in this case however the outcome regarding this young man is already certain. RIP.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, uttradit said:

National park isnt it? Mostly guided tours. How does one lose a kayak in a lake? Sounds like fowl play to me.

Bit harsh putting the blame on the local chickens 😂

UPDATE: Body of Missing British Man Found after Kayak Accident in Surat Thani
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Surat Thani – A British tourist who had gone missing following a kayak accident at the Rajjaprabha Dam in the Baan Ta Khun district was tragically found dead.

Previous story:
Officials said Mr. Gowribalan Shanghaman, 24, British national was reported to have fallen from his kayak into the waters of the dam early on Sunday February 11th, sparking a search and rescue operation.

Now for the update:
The Surat Thani Public Relations Office told the Phuket Express that on Wednesday (February 14th) the body of Mr. Gowribalan Shanghaman, 24, British national was found floating at the Rajjaprabha Dam. His body was recovered before being taken to a local hospital.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 4

On 2/13/2024 at 9:04 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Serious question. but wouldn't a tour guide normally be involved in the registration process ? Given that it's their business, after all .

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, mancub said:

Serious question. but wouldn't a tour guide normally be involved in the registration process ? Given that it's their business, after all .

From what I've heard and read, I think he went alone, avoiding tour guide and others. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

From what I've heard and read, I think he went alone, avoiding tour guide and others. 

From the original post:

ThaiRath reported that Shanghman travelled to the dam with his friends and a tour guide. They were staying at a floating raft accommodation called Krisorn Float.

Perhaps the "tour guide" referred to was just a guy in a pick-up who took them there. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mancub said:

From the original post:

ThaiRath reported that Shanghman travelled to the dam with his friends and a tour guide. They were staying at a floating raft accommodation called Krisorn Float.

Perhaps the "tour guide" referred to was just a guy in a pick-up who took them there. 

Oh, thanks, I overlooked that. 

Yes, probably just a local guy who called himself a tour guide. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems strange a 24yr guy could drown, I guess he couldn't swim. Where was his 'Friend' when he went overboard, was it 2 kayaks or 1? Also was it a dam or a Canal looks like a Dam so why is a canal mentioned. Seems like more bad reporting here, or am I missing something?

The depth doesn't really matter if you drown.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:13 AM, webfact said:

Shanghaman and his friend did not report to the authorities before starting their trip,

Note to Park Officials;  Is it really to hard to chain up the Paddles, and Kayaks ???

His body was recovered before being taken to a local hospital.

Im glad it occurred in this sequence... 

Actually would it be possible to take his body to a local hospital before recovering it? 🤔

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

His body was recovered before being taken to a local hospital.

Im glad it occurred in this sequence... 

Actually would it be possible to take his body to a local hospital before recovering it? 🤔

Fairly normal English to say what happened in order.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Seems strange a 24yr guy could drown, I guess he couldn't swim. Where was his 'Friend' when he went overboard, was it 2 kayaks or 1? Also was it a dam or a Canal looks like a Dam so why is a canal mentioned. Seems like more bad reporting here, or am I missing something?

The depth doesn't really matter if you drown.

Note to Park Officials;  Is it really to hard to chain up the Paddles, and Kayaks ???

Not strange if you can't swim. Age is irrelevant.

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Saved 2000 baht but died. People say that dam is the best experience in southern Thailand.

Who rented the kayaks to them? Are they not part of the registration process?

they mean well but lack higher cognitive abilities? Why not renting kayaks activate an automatic registration process

With today’s technology damn easy to set up and monitor who/where people are doing water activities especially rentals…

another level but require all water activities must register in order to capture the local owner market…

pure laziness and/or w/o problem solving capabilities…no excuses