Is SCB Trying to Run Off All Their Customers?

6 minutes ago, topt said:

I do not disagree with you  and was equally as pissed as the OP when SCB closed down online access. However your point surely emphasises the point that locking your phone even with no bank apps) is better than not due to all the rest of the personal info it probably contains? 

My opinion is that locking the phone would be nearly useless, since I consider the biggest risk to be hacking. Harmful code comes onto phones via security vulnerabilities, not via unlocked screens.

I'm would like to see the banks and phone companies eventually embracing something like the YubiKey to provide strong 2FA for their apps and other services. Probably not in my lifetime.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

I don't like to use the phone apps at all.

Neither do I.  I can lock down the security on a computer.  Smartphone OSs are built to 'Hoover' data.  I don't trust any app running on a smartphone app or the underlying OS.  I have the app, but it get very little use.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I've been with SCB for over 10 years.  I haven't had any problems with their app.  They only thing I can't do with the bank app that I could do with the online banking is transfer money into my fixed account.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

Just on the phone. I did a search for VPN and found the Samsung VPN listed. Went to it and was given only the option of deleting it. Didn't see a toggle under "connections" or anywhere else. After deleting, the app worked.  And btw my Bangkok Bank phone app has continued to work without ever sending me these warnings about disabling stuff on my phone. I really hate SCB, especially for removing the internet online banking. If I didn't have money set up years ago to come to SCB I'd get rid of the account.

CCleaner is installed on my (Samsung) phone; I have to toggle it in Apps (it's in the Systems menu) before and after using it, otherwise my Kasikorn and Bangkok bank apps won't work.

Because CCleaner has to have access to every part of my phone and - quite rightly - the banking apps' security settings don't allow that. 

I have two accounts and one credit card with SCB for over twenty years. Since they forced me to use the phone app for on line banking the experience has been frustrating .Second rate treatment and conditions for foreign customers.I have had enough and now in the process of closing all accounts.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

Just give me the option of online internet banking and I would be okay with things.

First I'm old school and hate apps anyway, I couldn't log in to their site on my lap top, they had also closed their branch on KC, so lap top in hand made the trip to Trat, explained my situation, through their helpline as none supposedly could speak English, they issued new password numbers what ever, in the bank on my LT still could not open it, staff came and nor could they! I took my 1m baht out in cash, walked next door to Krungsri and deposited it my account with them (risking the over 1m if they go tits up). SCB are crap followed closely by BKB I'm locked out of their internet banking also, don't receive any SMSs from them anymore, but luckily their local branch is still open. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

Just on the phone. I did a search for VPN and found the Samsung VPN listed. Went to it and was given only the option of deleting it. Didn't see a toggle under "connections" or anywhere else. After deleting, the app worked.  And btw my Bangkok Bank phone app has continued to work without ever sending me these warnings about disabling stuff on my phone. I really hate SCB, especially for removing the internet online banking. If I didn't have money set up years ago to come to SCB I'd get rid of the account.

VPN's don't turn on by themselves, you have to enable it manually, and the bank doesn't care or even know a VPN app is installed on the phone, as long as it isn't enabled.

Maybe learn how to use a phone before decrying security measures that are built in for your own financial safety

Edited by BenStark
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Second rate treatment and conditions for foreign customers.I have had enough and now in the process of closing all accounts.

Please tell us how an app differentiate between a foreigner and a Thai customer, other than that it will be available in Thai and English language

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

Made me sign a waiver

You have agreed that in case of any fraud and you loose money from your account, the bank will not be held responsible.

16 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Please tell us how an app differentiate between a foreigner and a Thai customer, other than that it will be available in Thai and English language

using the app foreign customers can not transfer more than 49,999 in one transaction.Photo recognition only allowed for Thai customers 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Please tell us how an app differentiate between a foreigner and a Thai customer

Many functions are not available for foreigners-

1. Opening a new savings/current/FCD account - not available

2. Not allowed to open Fixed Deposits via the app

3. Mutual Fund / Share trading account - not possible via the app

4. Cannot request for a Balance confirmation certificate 

5. Cannot request/apply for a credit card 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Thai mobile banking apps usually not work when using VPN, is not about SCB. I never had an account with them because they made it difficult, kasikorn has never let me down and I have bangok bank as a reserve too.

not only thai banks, my home bank app and web site don't like vpns, tbh given that scammers often use vpns it's not surprising. anyway, it's no bother to turn off the vpn when using my banking app. other web sites are similarly vpn sensitive.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jippytum said:

using the app foreign customers can not transfer more than 49,999 in one transaction.Photo recognition only allowed for Thai customers 

BS, you can sign a waiver at your branch, as I did

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Many functions are not available for foreigners-

1. Opening a new savings/current/FCD account - not available

2. Not allowed to open Fixed Deposits via the app

3. Mutual Fund / Share trading account - not possible via the app

4. Cannot request for a Balance confirmation certificate 

5. Cannot request/apply for a credit card 

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. Probably because those restrictions do not apply to me. 

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Maybe learn how to use a phone before decrying security measures that are built in for your own financial safety

The entire point is that I don't want to use a phone for any financial purposes and SCB is all but forcing customers to do so.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

SCB is closing branches left and right,

They are not the worst nor the only;

"

Bank of Thailand’s statistics also shows that the top five commercial banks that closed the highest number of branches over the past year as of the end of March are:

1. Bangkok Bank: Closed 114 (1,014 in operation)

2. Siam Commercial Bank (SCB): Closed 110 (739 in operation)

3. TMBThanachart Bank (ttb): Closed 46 (622 in operation)

4. Bank of Ayutthaya (BAY): Closed 31 (635 in operation)

4. Land and House Bank: Closed 31 (77 in operation)

5. Kasikorn Bank: Closed 26 (836 in operation)

During the first quarter of this year alone, Bangkok Bank closed 45 branches, followed by SCB (15), ttb (14), Krung Thai Bank (8) and BAY (7)."

I got rid of them years ago, I asked for a credit card, I had a work permit which they asked for as well as a substantial amount on my account, they told me fine it will be through in about 2 weeks, after 3 weeks I went to ask for it then they told me it had not been approved. I then told them to cancel my account there and then, and where to stick their bank.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

Just today, the SCB app on my Samsung refused to open and told me to toggle off the VPN option if I wanted to open the app. I didn't even know I had a VPN on the phone. Anyway, the only option, after I found it, was to delete the Samsung VPN. No toggling found. Why is SCB making it so difficult to bank with them?

1) They removed online banking

2) I haven't seen an SCB ATM in my area in over a year.

3) SCB is closing branches left and right, the latest being the one I used most often (and its ATM) at Lotus on Phutthamonthon Sai 5.

4) Made me sign a waiver instead of installing the photo recognition function on my SCB app, saying they couldn't do it for foreigners (funny, Bangkok Bank had no problem doing so months and months ago.)

5) And now the VPN obliteration on my phone along with the earlier disabling of Malwarebytes.

Do you need to get a "dumb" phone dedicated to using SCB that does nothing else?

Since being unable to access the bank via a web browser has become a major annoyance.
In all western countries, you can do banking via the internet, but Thailand makes it a problem again.

And in particular this bank.

Recently, I tried to make a transfer through my mobile phone, when I wanted to make a printout of the screen it was rejected by scb, then I just went after the company to pay it in cash.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

n all western countries, you can do banking via the internet

I have 2 bank accounts in my home country. Both I can access through the website, but both require me to use the app to login to the website.

What is more, since I live in a foreign country, most banks will not allow me to open an account

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jippytum said:

Yes but unlike Thai customers you do transfers at your own risk. You didn't mention that did you. 

That is then about same as every other bank in the world, where transfers are at your own risk. Did anyone mention that ever to you?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CDG931 said:

I have been a customer for 20 years.
I have always been satisfied with SCB
But for the past 2-3 years, I have only had negative experiences.

What are your negative experiences? Is it that they want to control your finances?

Welcome to the digital world of big brother