Is SCB Trying to Run Off All Their Customers?

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

They've become the "No Service Bank."

Wow! Thanks for the tip! My Mrs uses SCB because it's the only bank in our town. Our branch has the three usual machines outside (ATM, CDM and PassBook update). Just waiting for them to add a VTM and maybe that'll be curtains for the branch. Although from what you've said they took the ATM away when they closed your favourite branch! 

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Wow! Thanks for the tip! My Mrs uses SCB because it's the only bank in our town. Our branch has the three usual machines outside (ATM, CDM and PassBook update). Just waiting for them to add a VTM and maybe that'll be curtains for the branch. Although from what you've said they took the ATM away when they closed your favourite branch! 

Yes, there are no SCB ATMs that I can find inside the Lotus now. I live on Phutthamonthon Sai 3. Used to have two SCB ATMs within 200 meters. They went some time ago. The Mahidol branch where I originally opened my account has been closed since Covid and never reopened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Are you connecting through wifi on a router that has a VPN? Because if it's just on your phone, you should be able to toggle it. (I have several Samsung devices with VPNs, and they all toggle.) If you think it might be the router, try connecting to the app via mobile data instead. 

(I can't access either of my Thai accounts or my UK accounts if I have a VPN on.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Are you connecting through wifi on a router that has a VPN? Because if it's just on your phone, you should be able to toggle it. (I have several Samsung devices with VPNs, and they all toggle.) If you think it might be the router, try connecting to the app via mobile data instead. 

(I can't access either of my Thai accounts or my UK accounts if I have a VPN on.)

Just on the phone. I did a search for VPN and found the Samsung VPN listed. Went to it and was given only the option of deleting it. Didn't see a toggle under "connections" or anywhere else. After deleting, the app worked.  And btw my Bangkok Bank phone app has continued to work without ever sending me these warnings about disabling stuff on my phone. I really hate SCB, especially for removing the internet online banking. If I didn't have money set up years ago to come to SCB I'd get rid of the account.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NotEinstein said:

I had to remove a Xiaomi app to be able to use SCB - it actually made sense as it was a way to access additional internal settings, so a security risk. Made me think the other banking apps are less security strict.....

I don't like to use the phone apps at all. That's why I was disgruntled when SCB removed online internet banking. Now, to use SCB I have two choices, use the phone app I don't like to use or try to find a SCB branch that's still open and go there. Or I guess I can use my SCB ATM card on another bank's ATM machine. That appears to be what SCB is doing using other bank's ATMs as the only option so they can save on "servicing" their own. They're a parasite like the cuckoo laying its eggs in other birds' nests.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Just for info. I can use the Kasikorn & Krungthai & HSBC (UK) apps on my phone no problem with VPN (Surfshark) active.

I can't use Krungthai with Surfshark. I wonder what the difference is? 

Well I use SCB only for my retirement extension qualifying account.

I don't like that they ended online banking and so far I haven't installed the phone app and don't intend to over security concerns.

I do pay them 200 baht a year to send an SMS every time there is a transaction so if someone is draining my account I'll know instantly. 

I do lots of online banking with Bangkok Bank instead.

I have no problem with ATM or branch access with SCB. 

Dealing with them for my immigration business has been seamless for many years.

One time I had a problem with them because my signature changed when getting a new bank book. 

Interestingly a recent experience where my signature changed again, not a word from them.

Maybe after a certain age they just give up, ha ha. 

As I don't write checks and haven't signed a contract for years, my signature varies wildly pretty much every time I do it. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I don't like to use the phone apps at all. That's why I was disgruntled when SCB removed online internet banking. Now, to use SCB I have two choices, use the phone app I don't like to use or try to find a SCB branch that's still open and go there. Or I guess I can use my SCB ATM card on another bank's ATM machine. That appears to be what SCB is doing using other bank's ATMs as the only option so they can save on "servicing" their own. They're a parasite like the cuckoo laying its eggs in other birds' nests.

Yes, I agree regarding being forced onto the phone, which seems to me a much more 'app friendly' environment giving app access to more information, such as what other apps are loaded and god knows what else. My wife uses SCB just to check balance, as she does with her Bangkok Bank app, payment is not enabled. Luckily I bank with Bangkok Bank and will not use the app. My Linux desktop on Raspberry Pi serves my needs.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, topt said:

yes I posted about this a month ago 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316999-does-using-a-vpn-impact-online-banking/#comment-18620765

Seems like every time they upgrade the app they tighten up the "perceived" security by not allowing you to have certain other things open.

Developer Options is another one that needs to be switched off if normally used. I ended up having to get another phone purely for banking as my "daily driver" is rooted.

Although they have been closing branches and removing some ATM's it appears we are more fortunate here in Pattaya that there are still enough options within easy distance - at the moment......

It sure is looking like you're right and we'll eventually need a phone dedicated only to the bank apps. Or will we need a separate one for each bank's app? Phone companies going to love this.

4 minutes ago, topt said:

Seems like every time they upgrade the app they tighten up the "perceived" security by not allowing you to have certain other things open.

It all started when SCB required me to lock my phone.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It all started when SCB required me to lock my phone.

Sorry but are you saying that you did not use any Device Lock (pin/password/fingerprint etc) on your phone before?

1 minute ago, topt said:

Sorry but are you saying that you did not use any Device Lock (pin/password/fingerprint etc) on your phone before?

No. There was no need. I didn't have anything other than the telephone and FB and LINE on it. Everything else I accessed was no danger of compromising me. It's only recently that financial transactions have been forced onto phones. I was happy to do all my secure business on my desktop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

Regardless, I think it's alarming if a bank requires a phone to be locked, banking apps' security should be good enough to not rely on the phone lock.

Possibly - SCB app requires a separate PIN to unlock any banking functions.

However I can certainly understand a bank wanting to make sure devices are secured if possible and I am guessing the software has some link into Play Protect to see that (I stress that is only a guess) 

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Everything else I accessed was no danger of compromising me.

With the old online access you used to have to get OTPs on your phone unless already set up with several transactions. That is exactly the kind of security weakness a stolen phone with no security and not blocking notifications on the lock screen would have potentially compromised.....................

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I think the ATM situation must be a regional thing, as there have been 2 new SCB ATMs installed in the last 6 months where I live in Buriram.

4 minutes ago, topt said:

With the old online access you used to have to get OTPs on your phone unless already set up with several transactions. That is exactly the kind of security weakness a stolen phone with no security and not blocking notifications on the lock screen would have potentially compromised.....................

Okay. I see your point. I did, however, have nearly all my transactions set up for online banking. The last time I had added a new one was almost four years ago. I simply dislike being forced to put more and more compromising information on a phone. Just added to the trouble this week, when I finally broke down and got an ID.me account over the phone.

Just now, tgw said:

yes, but ...
the OTP is no problem, it served as a second media to provide authentication to the transaction made on another device.

With banking apps, everything is on the same device, which becomes a single point of failure.

That's why I have no banking apps installed on my phone, not to mention the crippling effect when the phone is stolen or lost.

I do not disagree with you  and was equally as pissed as the OP when SCB closed down online access. However your point surely emphasises the point that locking your phone even with no bank apps) is better than not due to all the rest of the personal info it probably contains?