Food delivery route for delivery rider?

OneMoreFarang

About an hour ago I ordered some food. According to Google Maps the distance from my home is 2.4km.

I know the way. There is sure traffic, but with a motorcycle it is manageable.

After waiting for some time, I checked the FoodPanda tracking of my order, and I discovered that the rider took a route which just doesn't make any sense. Maybe two or three time longer than necessary and also in traffic. 

I wonder if the rider had no clue how to get to Sukhumvit, or he is instructed to ride according to their navigation system, which suggest a crazy route, or what.

Do you know how this works? Could the rider take a different, shorter route, if he knows one?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know how this works? Could the rider take a different, shorter route, if he knows one?

As suggested above, the rider is making more than one delivery and/or pickup.

• Agree 1

If they are making 2 stops and both orders are from FoodPanda, it tells you in the app, and you don't see their route until they have finished the first drop and are headed to you. But if they pick up a second order from Grab or Robin Hood, you don't get a warning, and you can see where they are. I'd guess that they aren't supposed to do that, but it does seem to happen reasonably often.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

DHL yesterday, no official ride, came on his scooter with a kid he just picked up from school on the back.

Delivery drivers are all over the place!

• Haha 1

There's a 7-11 not far from me.  I have walked there many times.  I decided to test the delivery service for fun and ordered two identical items.  They called me two hours after the order and told me they didn't have what I wanted but offered a replacement that I accepted.  They arrived 4 hours after the original order with only one item.  The test results were exactly what I expected. 

• Haha 1

From my observations of food delivery folk, they go as fast as they can (dangerously so) and the shortest route. They are obviously paid according to the greater numbers of  deliveries they make. No point in going the "long way round". The above points by others also explains deviations in route - to you.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:14 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

About an hour ago I ordered some food. According to Google Maps the distance from my home is 2.4km.

I know the way. There is sure traffic, but with a motorcycle it is manageable.

After waiting for some time, I checked the FoodPanda tracking of my order, and I discovered that the rider took a route which just doesn't make any sense. Maybe two or three time longer than necessary and also in traffic. 

I wonder if the rider had no clue how to get to Sukhumvit, or he is instructed to ride according to their navigation system, which suggest a crazy route, or what.

The drivers not only deliver to one customer but have multiple deliveries, which leads to detours...get it!?:post-4641-1156694572:

• Thumbs Up 1

This leads to another question. Do condos do not have cooking facilities? If yes, why not cook yourself? All my years in Thailand I have never used food deliveries I always cooked myself apart from a few times when my BIL picked up a pizza or KFC.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

This leads to another question. Do condos do not have cooking facilities? If yes, why not cook yourself? All my years in Thailand I have never used food deliveries I always cooked myself apart from a few times when my BIL picked up a pizza or KFC.

No, in condominiums we all get deliveries all the time. Food, furniture, toilet paper, everything.

And of course, we all work at home. 

We never go out of the buildings.

Didn't you know that?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

He's talking about one food delivery, not three meals a day, 365 days a year!

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

All my years in Thailand I have never used food deliveries I always cooked myself apart from a few times when my BIL picked up a pizza or KFC.

Why didn't your BIL cook the pizza and chicken himself, don't Thais have cooking facilities?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1