Surge in antisemitism in UK worst for 40 years

Social Media

7 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

The truth can be a bitter pill to swallow Ray. 💊

What 'truth' is that, Bob?

That the answer to Islamic terrorism is to kill all Muslims? Anyone who believes that is evil and/or mad.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:10 PM, Bday Prang said:

Somewhat strange that seemingly  the only casualties are innocent children, and the only buildings destroyed are either hospitals , schools and baby milk factories.  Have any of your  "hamas heroes" actually been killed yet

As usual making it up. I never claimed that only children were getting blown up, but people are more disturbed by innocent children getting blown up than adults- unfair, but human nature. You can hardly deny that thousands of children have been killed.

I also never claimed that only hospitals and schools were getting blown up and you are lying if you claim I said anything about baby milk factories, though it is plain you are implying that I did.

You are also lying by claiming that I have Hamas heroes. You will not be able to quote any post of mine saying that.

Sadly, making things up seems to be a common occurrence in post attacking me.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

What do Jewish people in the UK have to with the Israeli military's actions in Gaza? The former are largely British subjects; the latter Israeli.

Perhaps they support israeli actions in  Palestine. Is there any equivalence of the Jews for Peace movement as seen in the US. I have not seen any such reported.

15 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

and what is the definition of a phobia ?  an unnatural fear of something that can't or won't hurt you,  a dislike of muzzers is not a phobia, Its a perfectly reasonable and understandable emotion,  A dislike of members of a death cult that hates others is fine and to be encouraged,  

Cory1848 was asking me what Jews in Britain had to do with Jews in israel, but you answered his question with that post.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1

Islamophobia just as homophobia even though it's intuitive to think its only about fear because of the phobia part in actually is about BOTH fear and hatred. Look up the definitions and you will see.

As far as Islam. well people that follow Islam are Muslims, and like all kinds of people they are NOT a monolith. So it's impossible to say all Muslims this, all Muslims that.

So people should not hate Muslim people just because they are Muslims.

You may learn stuff about individual Muslim people that logically makes them hateful in your eyes, but if so, it should be about that, not just that they are Muslim people. 

A personal note. I'm not proud to say this but I've had a few experiences in life of short term relationships with Muslim people. They were openly Muslim and hearing about that part of their lives was interesting to me. One (Malaysian) was even a Hajj tour leader! Also a Thai Muslim who complained to me that f-rangs discriminated against him. However, I intentionally did not tell them I was a Jew because I was afraid they would hate me for that and I wanted them to see me as me without adding that complication. I didn't give them a chance to prove otherwise. They just assumed I was a non religious Christian, a fair guess. Obviously that would have had to come up in longer relationship. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps they support israeli actions in  Palestine. Is there any equivalence of the Jews for Peace movement as seen in the US. I have not seen any such reported.

People in the UK, including Jewish people, have the right to express support for whoever they like.

• Like 1

The only people responsible for anti-Semitism are the Zionists.

It is as if the IRA did a bombing in England and the British government decided to kill all the Irish or remove them from Ireland.

This is not normal.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, zhounan said:

The only people responsible for anti-Semitism are the Zionists.

It is as if the IRA did a bombing in England and the British government decided to kill all the Irish or remove them from Ireland.

This is not normal.

Never mind the persecution of Jews for thousands of years BEFORE the idea of Zionism even existed.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Antisemitism refers to Jews only. But you knew that already.

It's okay to use "antisemite" to refer to those who hate Jews, but that's not the only meaning of the term. "Antisemitism" refers to hatred of BOTH Jews and Arabs.

- "antI' means "against";
- "Semitism" is a term in which "Semite" is the base. Here is the online definition of "Semite":

"a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs." - Oxford Language Dictionary - define semite - Search (bing.com)

It's like calling Whites who hate Blacks, "racists." That's true. But "racist" could also be used to describe Blacks who hate Whites, or Whites who hate Asians, etc.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

It's okay to use "antisemite" to refer to those who hate Jews, but that's not the only meaning of the term. "Antisemitism" refers to hatred of BOTH Jews and Arabs.

- "antI' means "against";
- "Semitism" is a term in which "Semite" is the base. Here is the online definition of "Semite":

"a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs." - Oxford Language Dictionary - define semite - Search (bing.com)

It's like calling Whites who hate Blacks, "racists." That's true. But "racist" could also be used to describe Blacks who hate Whites, or Whites who hate Asians, etc.

NO!!!!!

You get your own opinions.

You don't get your own definitions.

anti-Semitism

noun

hate towards or unfair treatment of Jewish people

anti-semitism noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

NO!!!!!

You get your own opinions.

You don't get your own definitions.

anti-Semitism

noun

hate towards or unfair treatment of Jewish people

anti-semitism noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

As I said in my earlier post. That is a correct definition of "antisemitism," but it is only half the definition. "Antisemitism" includes hatred of both Jews and Arabs. Below is a quote by Ralph Nadar, who shares my opinion. (When I write, I spell it as "anti-Semitism" because "Semite" is a proper noun.)

"'You never avoid using the word anti-Semitism when Arabs and Arab-Americans are discriminated against, are arrested without charges, are exposed to all kinds of swears and bars against employment and all kinds of discrimination that goes on, and that is anti-Semitism. The Semitic race is Arabs and Jews, and the Jews do not own the phrase anti-Semitism,' Nader declared at the recent annual convention of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC), where he was a featured speaker."
Changing How You Spell 'Anti-Semitism' Won’t Stop Anti-Semitism - The Atlantic

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

As I said in my earlier post. That is a correct definition of "antisemitism," but it is only half the definition. "Antisemitism" includes hatred of both Jews and Arabs. Below is a quote by Ralph Nadar, who shares my opinion. (When I write, I spell it as "anti-Semitism" because "Semite" is a proper noun.)

"'You never avoid using the word anti-Semitism when Arabs and Arab-Americans are discriminated against, are arrested without charges, are exposed to all kinds of swears and bars against employment and all kinds of discrimination that goes on, and that is anti-Semitism. The Semitic race is Arabs and Jews, and the Jews do not own the phrase anti-Semitism,' Nader declared at the recent annual convention of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC), where he was a featured speaker."
Changing How You Spell 'Anti-Semitism' Won’t Stop Anti-Semitism - The Atlantic

Ridiculous.

Idiocy like you're promoting is the reason why people are saying anti Jewish hate etc. instead of antisemitism. 

But again you're just wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Ridiculous.

Idiocy like you're promoting is the reason why people are saying anti Jewish hate etc. instead of antisemitism. 

But again you're just wrong.

I'll tell you what, on this Forum and others, I'll use the terms "anti-Jewish" and "anti-Arab" when describing those sentiments. I won't use the term "antisemitism." If you use the term "antisemitism," I'll know you only mean "anti-Jewish." I may use the term "anti-Semitism" once in a while to include both, but not often. Okay?

3 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I'll tell you what, on this Forum and others, I'll use the terms "anti-Jewish" and "anti-Arab" when describing those sentiments. I won't use the term "antisemitism." If you use the term "antisemitism," I'll know you only mean "anti-Jewish." I may use the term "anti-Semitism" once in a while to include both, but not often. Okay?

You are free to say that a cat means cats and dogs till the cows come home but you would be wrong.

Definitions of words are definitions even if you think the definitions don't make sense.

You are free to lobby the dictionary publishers.

But it won't work because your proposed definition of antisemitism is idiotic.

It would make it into a useless word. Not sure what agenda you have that you are so passionate about this. My experience is that it comes from people who want to deny antisemitism is widespread or serious,

There are already ways to describe hatred of Arabs, hatred of Muslims, etc.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

After reading a lot of your stuff, I don't think very few care what you think or write........:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You are free to say that a cat means cats and dogs till the cows come home but you would be wrong.

Definitions of words are definitions even if you think the definitions don't make sense.

You are free to lobby the dictionary publishers.

But it won't work because your proposed definition of antisemitism is idiotic.

It would make it into a useless word. Not sure what agenda you have that you are so passionate about this. My experience is that it comes from people who want to deny antisemitism is widespread or serious,

There are already ways to describe hatred of Arabs, hatred of Muslims, etc.

I do agree that being anti-Semitic is widespread and serious.

Using the term "antisemitic" to refer to someone or something that is ONLY anti-Jewish but not anti-Arab is anti-Semitic.

If you can understand the sentence above, you've got the gist of what I've been saying.

1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

Using the term "antisemitic" to refer to someone or something that is ONLY anti-Jewish but not anti-Arab is anti-Semitic.

If you can understand the sentence above, you've got the gist of what I've been saying.

Again, you are objectively totally wrong.

Be a rebel and make up your own definitions of words.

Then you can have fascinating conversations with yourself.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

Deliberately clouding issues, tell you what, this topic is about the UK so let's stick to the UK police definitions not yours.

UK’s College of Policing does include a working definition of antisemitism in their guidance to police forces in the UK. The full guidance is available from their website here and the definition is reproduced in full here:

image.thumb.png.07b10645e4dc806406ef0939e2ffd56d.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/a-definition-of-antisemitism

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Deliberately clouding issues, tell you what, this topic is about the UK so let's stick to the UK police definitions not yours.

UK’s College of Policing does include a working definition of antisemitism in their guidance to police forces in the UK. The full guidance is available from their website here and the definition is reproduced in full here:

image.thumb.png.07b10645e4dc806406ef0939e2ffd56d.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/a-definition-of-antisemitism

Thanks, I've already given you links to where I get my definition of "anti-Semitism." And, as I've posted earlier, I will accept your definition of "antisemitism" as being anti-Jewish only, not concerning Arabs. When I want to refer to that on these Forums, I will use the term "anti-Jewish" or something like that to make sure you know I'm not referring to the term that encompasses BOTH Jews and Arabs, "anti-Semitism."

Just now, WDSmart said:

Thanks, I've already given you links to where I get my definition of "anti-Semitism." And, as I've posted earlier, I will accept your definition of "antisemitism" as being anti-Jewish only, not concerning Arabs. When I want to refer to that on these Forums, I will use the term "anti-Jewish" or something like that to make sure you know I'm not referring to the term that encompasses BOTH Jews and Arabs, "anti-Semitism."

What do you fail to understand that nobody could care less about your definitions, it's the legal working ones that are important here. 

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What do you fail to understand that nobody could care less about your definitions, it's the legal working ones that are important here. 

I've given you links to my sources for how I use these terms and stated I will substitute more specific terms when writing on these Forums. I hope you will "care less" so you'll stop responding to my posts with these repetitive insults. 

3 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I've given you links to my sources for how I use these terms and stated I will substitute more specific terms when writing on these Forums. I hope you will "care less" so you'll stop responding to my posts with these repetitive insults. 

Did the UK police agree your definitions? No. Which means I still couldn't care less about them.

6 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

It's much nicer posting on here when one doesn't have to see the insults from posters with nothing worthwhile to contribute.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did the UK police agree your definitions? No. Which means I still couldn't care less about them.

Fine. The UK police haven't detained me yet. And, although I didn't read every word in their very long definition of "antisemitism," I did agree with everything I did read, but I've been over and over all this before.

So, if you "still couldn't care less about them," why do you keep posting about them? If it's because you think you need to have the last word on this to "win" the discussion, I'll let you do that. If you post on this subject again, I will not respond. Then you can believe you "won."