Lowered BP Following Thyroidectomy

Two things I wasn't expecting following my thyroidectomy, one is abdominal weight gain for no apparent reason, and lowered diastolic blood pressure.

The key issue right now is that my BP has changed substantially. Previously, a BP reading in a hospital setting would regularly be North of 155/75, 165/80 was not unusual. Now, I rarely exceed 135 but concerningly, diastolic readings appear to be dropping and yesterday showed 55. Three weeks ago I recorded 113/60, in the hospital two days ago it was 120/58 but nobody said anything, both readings are unheard for me. Before I go see the cardiologist, I wanted to check and see if other thyroidectomy patients experienced anything similar.

My weight has always existed in the 84/86 kilo range, now 87 days post op, my Euthyrox meds are now stable at 1.0 and my weight is 86.5/87. TSH = 0.766 and FT4 = 1.12. The trouble is, all the weight or distention has shifted to my lower abdomen which is hard to diet/exercise away. It is unclear if this is actually a fat issue and not bloating or similar. It seems there is something called thyroid belly which sound appalling! 😞   Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you deal with it?

TIA 

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

My weight has always existed in the 84/86 kilo range, now 87 days post op, my Euthyrox meds are now stable at 1.0 and my weight is 86.5/87. TSH = 0.766 and FT4 = 1.12.

Ask your doctor to increase your dosage slightly.

1 minute ago, Ben Zioner said:

I have a cardia stent so there is concern about increasing the dosage plus the TSH/FT4 numbers are where they should be and have always been historically. The BP scenario is my major concern, I can figure out the weight/distention issue later.

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Now, I rarely exceed 135 but concerningly, diastolic readings appear to be dropping and yesterday showed 55. Three weeks ago I recorded 113/60, in the hospital two days ago it was 120/58 but nobody said anything,

But these numbers are excellent.. Why worry then?

Also you've been very present here the past couple of months [thanks], in my previous life some colleagues requested these to keep in shape.

standing-desks-clp.jpg

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Also you've been very present here the past couple of months [thanks], in my previous life some colleagues requested these to keep in shape.

I started using a standing desk recently.

It may actually help burn a few calories compared to sitting, but I doubt it will be enough to really keep you in shape.

And it's not easy to stand all day. I use sth to lean on half the time. 

• Like 1

My wife had her's removed last year. She is on Thyrosit. She used to get low BP fairly often but seems taking calcium and vitamin D fixes the problem. Even before leaving the hospital, they had to give her D shots, her fingers would get numb. Now she just remembers to take the calcium and vitamin D and seems to be doing well. She has had some weight gain but not much. She is at that age (56) whereas my grandmother would say "Her potatoes are shifting"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This was 30 odd years ago but possibly still relevant.

My ex-wife needed thyroid replacement medication after cancer treatment (not thyroid cancer, I'm not even sure the two were actually related).

But even with a regularly taken dose she experienced unexpected and massive blood-pressure drops. These were sufficient to cause her to randomly collapse in a heap. A few minutes later she was right as rain and ready to continue shopping (if I'd managed to persuade the store/mall people she really didn't need an ambulance).

Numerous visits to the doc / clinic and adjustments to dose / medication changes really had little effect. Finally resulting in a "sorry, you'll have to live with it".

So, here she is 30 years later having used up another husband (my replacement dropped dead of something [probably abject terror] after 18 months of marriage) and several boyfriends, she's "found God" and gone all born-again. Still drops in a heap every couple of months.

Sorry to not really be any more help.

Thanks, the story more than made up for the last line. 🙂

It's reassuring to know mine is not an isolated case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

My wife had her's removed last year. She is on Thyrosit. She used to get low BP fairly often but seems taking calcium and vitamin D fixes the problem. Even before leaving the hospital, they had to give her D shots, her fingers would get numb. Now she just remembers to take the calcium and vitamin D and seems to be doing well. She has had some weight gain but not much. She is at that age (56) whereas my grandmother would say "Her potatoes are shifting"

Thanks, that's a slightly different condition, I'm over that stage of things however.

6 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Two things I wasn't expecting following my thyroidectomy, one is abdominal weight gain for no apparent reason, and lowered diastolic blood pressure.

The key issue right now is that my BP has changed substantially. Previously, a BP reading in a hospital setting would regularly be North of 155/75, 165/80 was not unusual. Now, I rarely exceed 135 but concerningly, diastolic readings appear to be dropping and yesterday showed 55. Three weeks ago I recorded 113/60, in the hospital two days ago it was 120/58 but nobody said anything, both readings are unheard for me. Before I go see the cardiologist, I wanted to check and see if other thyroidectomy patients experienced anything similar.

My weight has always existed in the 84/86 kilo range, now 87 days post op, my Euthyrox meds are now stable at 1.0 and my weight is 86.5/87. TSH = 0.766 and FT4 = 1.12. The trouble is, all the weight or distention has shifted to my lower abdomen which is hard to diet/exercise away. It is unclear if this is actually a fat issue and not bloating or similar. It seems there is something called thyroid belly which sound appalling! 😞   Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you deal with it?

TIA 

What actually was removed? Please explain, because there several different ways of "thyroidectomy" (total, semi aso)

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Total

Well, you have to test your TSH/T4 levels probably more often to find the right dosage. But as I read you got some more health issues. Sports/ exercises will help you to lower your BP as well as your weight.

My wife got this operation 4 years ago and I had to tackle that problem. It took us more than 18 months to find the right dosage of Thyroxine and the Calcium level. She's on Calcidol also. Since 2.5 years without problems. She is going for gym every second day and eats a lot green veggies.

6 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, you have to test your TSH/T4 levels probably more often to find the right dosage. But as I read you got some more health issues. Sports/ exercises will help you to lower your BP as well as your weight.

My wife got this operation 4 years ago and I had to tackle that problem. It took us more than 18 months to find the right dosage of Thyroxine and the Calcium level. She's on Calcidol also. Since 2.5 years without problems. She is going for gym every second day and eats a lot green veggies.

Hormon levels are stable, the problem is low  BP

6 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Absolutely no indication for dosage increase at those levels. FT4 already towards upper end of normal and TSH is at low end of nromal.

If anything might be able to decrease slightly.

• Thanks 1

My BP wasn't affected. It's always been a bit low, before and after the op, owing to my maintaining a fitness regimen. I don't see that you have a problem. Keep monitoring.

But you're a bit overweight, aren't you? Seems you probably just have belly fat and weak stomach muscles. If you'd walk around Pattaya, you'd feel right at home. I stay lean and I do exercises specifically for stomach and core, so my stomach stays flat. I have no doubt yours could, too. But you can check with a doc about any supposed abnormality.

• Like 1

Now that I understand what's happened, this is seriously good news!

Before my thyroidectomy, I would run/exercise and max out my BP at 145 (per sports watch), that was my ceiling. Now, that same exercise is showing 118 max.....same distance, same duration, same intensity. This means I have additional head room to exercise harder/further.

I'm just slightly annoyed, after so many different doctors/hospital visits where chats were held about me needing to change my lifestyle/diet etc, because of my high blood pressure, I even had three different doctors prescribe high blood pressure meds, nobody suggested the thyroid might be  responsible!  Oh well, all's well that ends well.

• Like 1

About a year ago I put on 20lbs ,eat the same food as I have eaten all my life ,no more no less. When I asked the doctor he said my metabolism had slowed down due to aging. Was not burning up the calories any more so it was going to fat. Another problem is my old lady keeps shoving food in front of me.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:28 AM, Crossy said:

she's "found God" and gone all born-again.

Good for her. It's still an unjust world, but then as He preached the rain falls upon the just and the unjust, so the river will still rise (in your backyard). I still love the idea that there is a heaven and continue to believe (no matter how much $h👁️t I get here). 😇