When it comes to abortion rights, you should be scared

Social Media

image.png

The upcoming 2024 election has brought the issue of abortion rights to the forefront, with Donald Trump and the Republican Party attempting to position themselves on the topic. In the face of Roe v. Wade's reversal, the anti-abortion movement is working to downplay the consequences of abortion bans and distort the Republican Party's stance on restricting abortion. This strategy is not unexpected given the widespread support for legal abortion access in the United States and Vice President Kamala Harris's vocal advocacy for reproductive freedom.

Despite efforts to sugarcoat the GOP's record on abortion, the majority of Americans oppose a nationwide abortion ban and view the overturning of Roe v. Wade negatively. In battleground states, voters express concern about Republican policies on abortion, and rightfully so. Since the Supreme Court's decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, 21 states have passed abortion bans or restrictions, limiting reproductive rights for a significant portion of the population.

Heartbreaking stories, like that of Dr. Austin Dennard and Anya Cook, highlight the real-life consequences of restrictive abortion laws. The anti-abortion movement's attempt to portray itself as "pro-mothers" is hypocritical, especially considering the increased maternal mortality rates in states with abortion bans.

Trump and the GOP proudly celebrate the overturning of Roe v. Wade and have expressed intentions to further restrict abortion rights. Nikki Haley and other Republican leaders have signaled support for stringent abortion bans, indicating a troubling agenda that threatens individual freedoms. Looking ahead to 2025, the anti-abortion movement, bolstered by GOP support, plans to pursue various avenues to limit reproductive freedoms.

In the 2024 election, voters must recognize the stakes at hand. The choice is between a Biden-Harris ticket that champions individual autonomy over one that embraces a draconian agenda where politicians dictate personal decisions. The Biden campaign, led by Harris, is sounding the alarm on the potential consequences of another Trump presidency, emphasizing the importance of protecting abortion rights.

We cannot be deceived by softened rhetoric or attempts to minimize the reality of a post-Roe America. Republicans have made their intentions clear, and we must believe them and vote accordingly to safeguard our fundamental freedoms.

Source

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The Republican Party has traditionally championed limited government intervention, advocating for individual liberty.

However, their recent policies on abortion and contraception, coupled with their tacit support of misogyny and sexual assault, starkly contrast their foundational principles and may alienate many women voters.

Note: In recent years, the number of women registered to vote in the U.S. has typically exceeded the number of men by approximately 10 million, highlighting significant gender differences in voter turnout.

Gender Differences in Voter Turnout

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Are you referring to a fetus with not functioning brain?

No, I'm referring to an end of second trimester baby who could live outside the womb, and become a perfectly normal child. A friend of mine has 2 that were born just before the 6 month mark and are now both normal and healthy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, gargamon said:

Add another item to the list of f-ups the Republican have done or are doing that will cost them the next election.

1. Abortion The supreme court did that.

2. Failure to pass bipartisan immigration bill That allowed 5,000 unvetted migrants in per day, that's 1.8 million a year.

3. Failure to fund Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan With no corresponding way to pay for it. Borrow to give away. 

Keep it up boys. Give away a big majority. See statehood for Puerto Rico and DC. 15 supreme court justices. Etc. Keep it up, please. 

I don't like either side, but get your facts straight.

Edited by Trippy
  • Agree 1

Apparently, even destroying a zygote in now judged to be a wrongful death. At least in Alabama.

Alabama Supreme Court rules frozen embryos are children, cites the Bible in opinion

“When the People of Alabama adopted (the ‘sanctity of life’ provision of the state constitution), they did not use the term ‘inviolability,’ with its secular connotations, but rather they chose the term ‘sanctity,’ with all of its connotations,” Parker wrote. “This kind of acceptance is not foreign to our Constitution, which in its preamble ‘invok[es] the favor and guidance of Almighty God,’ … and which declares that ‘all men … are endowed [with life] by their Creator.’ ”

https://www.alreporter.com/2024/02/19/alabama-supreme-court-rules-frozen-embryos-are-children-cites-the-bible-in-opinion/

This quote is from the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court. And in a written decision, where you think he had the time to reflect over what he's written, he claimed that the references to Almighty God, etc are found in the US Constitution. It is to laugh.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Trippy said:

No, I'm referring to an end of second trimester baby who could live outside the womb, and become a perfectly normal child. A friend of mine has 2 that were born just before the 6 month mark and are now both normal and healthy. 

I assume this means you are ok with abortion being legal up to the point of fetal viability. 

I agree.  I also think that making abortion legal and available early in the pregnancy will greatly reduce the already minuscule number of abortions done after fetal viability due to extreme health risks to the mother.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gargamon said:

Add another item to the list of f-ups the Republican have done or are doing that will cost them the next election.

1. Abortion

2. Failure to pass bipartisan immigration bill

3. Failure to fund Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan

Keep it up boys. Give away a big majority. See statehood for Puerto Rico and DC. 15 supreme court justices. Etc. Keep it up, please. 

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2024/01/04/joe-bidens-chances-do-not-look-good-the-democrats-have-no-plan-b

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

I read that when it first came out.  Did you?

"Campaign staffers point to the mid-terms as proof that Republican candidates who champion abortion and reject the election results of 2020 will fare poorly. "  https://www.economist.com/briefing/2024/01/04/joe-bidens-chances-do-not-look-good-the-democrats-have-no-plan-b

I don't remember a national election when abortion / right to life, or laws to regulate, was not an issue.  And it will be forever, same as it was before & after Roe vs Wade.

it's what politicians do, argue and talk about issues that have been resolved with laws (state & local), that they have no control over, with 'what if' scenarios, instead of actually fixing problems on a national/federal level, that need fixing.

Simple distraction from their failed administrations.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, Social Media said:

This strategy is not unexpected given the widespread support for legal abortion access in the United States and Vice President Kamala Harris's vocal advocacy for reproductive freedom.

Let's be clear about it, it's killing an unborn human being, not disposing of a tumour, no matter how they term it.

Not that I'm opposed to it at all. I see no difference in killing an unborn human being as against sending them to die in war after they grow up a bit, I just don't like the attempt to describe an unborn human as disposable waste tissue.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I don't remember a national election when abortion / right to life, or laws to regulate, was not an issue.  And it will be forever, same as it was before & after Roe vs Wade.

it's what politicians do, argue and talk about issues that have been resolved with laws (state & local), that they have no control over, with 'what if' scenarios, instead of actually fixing problems on a national/federal level, that need fixing.

Simple distraction from their failed administrations.

It's called deflecting. Look at this here while I mess up your lives over there.

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, Social Media said:

In the 2024 election, voters must recognize the stakes at hand. The choice is between a Biden-Harris ticket that champions individual autonomy over one that embraces a draconian agenda where politicians dictate personal decisions. The Biden campaign, led by Harris, is sounding the alarm on the potential consequences of another Trump presidency, emphasizing the importance of protecting abortion rights.

No bias in evidence then?

IMO it's normally the left wing that seeks to control every aspect of life, and the right wing that emphasises individual rights.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No bias in evidence then?

IMO it's normally the left wing that seeks to control every aspect of life, and the right wing that emphasises individual rights.

You're living in the past.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1