Hilarious and honest or boorish and bigoted? The enduring appeal of Jeremy Clarkson

Social Media

image.png

Jeremy Clarkson, the polarizing presenter of "The Grand Tour" and "Clarkson’s Farm," continues to captivate audiences with his blend of humor and controversy. From his infamous "fracas" with a BBC producer to his contentious remarks about Meghan Markle, Clarkson seems to defy expectations and endure in the public eye.

In 2008, a petition surfaced urging to make Clarkson prime minister, garnering nearly 50,000 signatures. While this may seem like a resounding endorsement, it represents only a fraction of the electorate's support. Despite this, Clarkson's popularity remains steadfast, evidenced by a petition with over a million signatures demanding his reinstatement following his dismissal from Top Gear.

Clarkson's allure lies in his persona as a straight-talking, unapologetic figure, resonating particularly with a certain demographic. Despite criticisms of his remarks as homophobic, sexist, and racist, Clarkson maintains a devoted following drawn to his blunt style and irreverent humor.

However, Clarkson's career has not been without its setbacks. Controversial statements, such as his comments about Meghan Markle, have sparked public outcry and jeopardized his relationships with media outlets like Amazon. Yet, Clarkson's resilience is evident in his ability to bounce back, as seen with the renewal of "Clarkson’s Farm" despite initial uncertainty.

Ultimately, Clarkson embodies a paradoxical figure—part admired icon, part divisive figure. While some view him as a humorous and honest commentator, others see him as boorish and bigoted. Regardless, Clarkson's ability to navigate the tumultuous terrain of public opinion underscores his enduring appeal and resilience in the face of controversy.

Source

image.png

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

A brilliant presenter.

Obviously the snowflakes don't like some of his jokes, but they can always change the channel (or get a sense of humour).

image.png

While I am not aligned with his politics I enjoyed Clarkson's Farm. He came across as a fractious but generally good natured and self deprecating sort.

But that just doesn't sit with the type of behaviour for which he is more notorious. Punching his assistant in the face because he was served a cold steak in a pub is neither quirky nor humorous - it's the actions of a weak narcissist. 

But then again, none of us are the fully rounded product. So on the balance of things he is not the worst in my eyes. Certainly I would sooner have a pint when him than I would Piers Morgan, who I have never seen demonstrate any redeeming features.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, RayC said:

Is there any particular reason for this article at this time? Is Clarkson in the news again? What for?

Yes new series of the farm is due, plus maybe a reforming of the trio for a new Top Gear, although I doubt that will happen

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

The essence of our modernity (Trump, Clarkson, and a million other 'entertainers' & 'influencers' ...) - loud, boorish and unapologetic.

Wonder what their parents thought or think as they see their little ones grow  ...

The parents are probably living very comfortably due to their offsprings earnings.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Net worth 55M pounds ($70M US), owns large farm with mansion house, superyacht, etc.

As one of the super rich, I don't think he really cares what the proles think of him.

And why should he.  

Do you care what the proles think? 

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The parents are probably living very comfortably due to their offsprings earnings.

In Clarkson's case his parents made enough money from their "Paddington Bear" licenced company to send him to private schooling!

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:
2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

And why should he.  

Do you care what the proles think? 

I'm not sure just which demographic "proles" refers to, but if it's the PC sheeple class that have a mobile phone permanently tuned to social media ( so they know what to think ), I'm with Clarkson when he gives them the virtual finger.

He is definitely one of my heroes for sticking it to the wokies. I just wish he was still on the BBC to make them uncomfortable in their offices located in their ivory towers.

I used to give him a virtual cheer every time he said something that offended the wokies. Long may he grow old disgracefully.

Proles is short for Proletariat. 

When I was at boarding school we referred to the younger kids as Proles although it's actual use is a derogatory term for the working classes.

30 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The son of a teacher and travelling salesman.

Who started their own Paddington Bear licenced company and sent JC to Public Schools (Repton etc).

NOT that that has anything to do with JC  (and May & Hammond) and his great programmes!!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

People hate Clarkson because he speaks the truth and that won't do in our liberal PC society. He's a Yorkshireman, what do you expect! 🤔

I'm not British but I know Yorkshire men, and they always speak with forked tongue.

I like Clarkson though

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Proles is short for Proletariat. 

When I was at boarding school we referred to the younger kids as Proles although it's actual use is a derogatory term for the working classes.

Thanks for the explanation. We didn't have such terms in NZ when I was young as pretty much everyone in NZ was "working class" as almost everyone did a real job. I went to boarding school myself, but most pupils were sons of farmers.

• Like 1