medical Insurance requirement

As above - there is no medical insurance requirement for extension of stay from a single entry non immigrant O entry (which can be obtained for 2,000 baht by showing financials from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry).

As for local insurance would have to search (and look for highest deductible) - not much available at older age. 

As other posters already indicated:

- You most probably applied for a Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (US) which has several options to meet the mandatory Health Insurance requirement.  However when you are staying in Thailand and wanting to apply for the 1-year extension of stay of the Permission to stay from that original Non Imm O-A Visa, Thai Immigration ONLY accepts a Non Imm O-A compliant health insurance policy issued by a Thai TGIA-associated insurer.  Considering your age and medical conditions, it might be close to impossible to get such insurance.  And it is actually not even necessary to do so, as you already have US insurance (which is not accepted by Thai Immigration).

- There is however a relatively easy way to get rid of the problem, and that is switching to a Non Imm O Visa, as that type of Visa does not require any mandatory Thai insurance to apply both for the Visa as well as for its extensions. 

But in order to apply at your local Imm Office for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, you would first need to 'kill' the permission to stay from your current Non Imm O-A Visa.  That can be done by simply exiting Thailand without a Re-Entry Permit for the Permission to stay of that Non Imm O-A Visa (after the 1-year Visa validity has expired).  Then you can return to Thailand (can even be done with a same day border-run) and be stamped in Visa-Exempt (without a Visa) by Thai border-immigration which will provide you with a 30-day Permission to stay.  When you still have at least 15 days left on that Permission to stay (some Imm Offices like CM require 21 days, and Phuket requires 15 business days), you can then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office.  And at the end of those 90 days you can then apply for a 1-year extension. Doing so you have gotten rid of the Non Imm O-A mandatory health-insurance, and the requirements for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa are exactly same as for the Non Imm O-A but without that #$%^&* mandatory insurance.

- Note that when you are married to a Thai national, that you have the option to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, instead of the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (i.e. being +50 years of age). 

It might also be possible to apply for the 1-year extension of stay of your current Non Imm O-A visa for reason of marriage, as that does not require any mandatory Thai health-insurance.  But in that case you should inform beforehand at your local Imm Office, whether they allow you to apply for the 1-year extension for reason of marriage.  Some Imm Offices consider the Non Imm O-A Visa as being acquired for reason of 'retirement' and only allow switching to a different reason (in your case: marriage) when you are already on a 1-year extension of stay. 

= = =

Success!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the OP, as pointed out by others, your best approach is to obtain a permission to stay in Thailand that does not require the Health Insurance from a Thai TGIA-associated insurer.

I pretty much followed all of the recommendations in this thread.

Initially I had a Type-OA visa for a while (originally based on Retirement), and when the health insurance requirement came about, for my first renewal, I ended up:

- 1st : keeping my superior European insurance (which was not accepted by Thai immigration) but instead buying double health insurance from a Thai TGIA-associated insurer for my 1st one-year extension of permission to stay (for reason of retirement) on my Type-OA visa.  I actually tried to go for an extension for reason of marriage to a Thai woman at that time, but that was not allowed by Phuket immigration branch as it was my very first one-year extension of my permission to stay. Phuket Immigration told me only on my 2nd extension could I go for an extension based on marriage.

- 2nd : a year later for my next extension on my permission to stay, I did not renew the Thai TGIA-associated insurer insurance, but instead I went for my one year extension on my permission to stay for reason of marriage to a Thai (instead of retirement) on my Type-OA Visa. For this second extension, it was allowed by Phuket immigration.  Extensions based on marriage to a Thai do not require the Health Insurance.  I did thou have to have my marriage registered in Thailand, which required a lot of paperwork to get the prerequisite Kor-22 document for immigration (and thats another long story that I won't post about here).

Since the paperwork (and waiting time) for an extension of my permission to stay, based on marriage was much greater (with a longer time for approval) than one based on retirement ... , so I decided for the 3rd time around it was time for me to change my visa to one where I did not need to purchase double insurance from a Thai TGIA-associated insurer (note I kept my superior European health insurance the entire time).

- 3rd :  Hence, a bit less than a year later,  I adopted the other approach recommended in this thread, which was to leave Thailand without a re-entry permit (which invalidated my Type-OA visa) and I returned to Thailand visa exempt. As soon as practical after I arrived, I went to the Phuket immigration office and applied for a 90-day type-O visa for reason of retirement.  I recommend you apply for the 90-day Type-O visa ASAP if you adopt this approach - don't wait - as sometimes this can take a long time dependent on your immigration office (and its work load). 

Ensure you meet all the financial requirements when applying.  After I obtained the 90-day type-O visa, when I had only 30-days left in its permission to stay, I then applied for a 1-year extension of the permission to stay, based on retirement, and there was no health insurance requirement.  And the paperwork, for a 'retirement' extension was much less than that for a 'marriage' extension.

Good luck.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

As other posters already indicated:

- You most probably applied for a Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (US) which has several options to meet the mandatory Health Insurance requirement.  However when you are staying in Thailand and wanting to apply for the 1-year extension of stay of the Permission to stay from that original Non Imm O-A Visa, Thai Immigration ONLY accepts a Non Imm O-A compliant health insurance policy issued by a Thai TGIA-associated insurer.  Considering your age and medical conditions, it might be close to impossible to get such insurance.  And it is actually not even necessary to do so, as you already have US insurance (which is not accepted by Thai Immigration).

- There is however a relatively easy way to get rid of the problem, and that is switching to a Non Imm O Visa, as that type of Visa does not require any mandatory Thai insurance to apply both for the Visa as well as for its extensions. 

But in order to apply at your local Imm Office for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, you would first need to 'kill' the permission to stay from your current Non Imm O-A Visa.  That can be done by simply exiting Thailand without a Re-Entry Permit for the Permission to stay of that Non Imm O-A Visa (after the 1-year Visa validity has expired).  Then you can return to Thailand (can even be done with a same day border-run) and be stamped in Visa-Exempt (without a Visa) by Thai border-immigration which will provide you with a 30-day Permission to stay.  When you still have at least 15 days left on that Permission to stay (some Imm Offices like CM require 21 days, and Phuket requires 15 business days), you can then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office.  And at the end of those 90 days you can then apply for a 1-year extension. Doing so you have gotten rid of the Non Imm O-A mandatory health-insurance, and the requirements for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa are exactly same as for the Non Imm O-A but without that #$%^&* mandatory insurance.

- Note that when you are married to a Thai national, that you have the option to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, instead of the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (i.e. being +50 years of age). 

It might also be possible to apply for the 1-year extension of stay of your current Non Imm O-A visa for reason of marriage, as that does not require any mandatory Thai health-insurance.  But in that case you should inform beforehand at your local Imm Office, whether they allow you to apply for the 1-year extension for reason of marriage.  Some Imm Offices consider the Non Imm O-A Visa as being acquired for reason of 'retirement' and only allow switching to a different reason (in your case: marriage) when you are already on a 1-year extension of stay. 

= = =

Success!

Just a footnote. As most are aware, it is difficult to find a hard and fast rule at immigration offices across Thailand. I intended to kill my O-A Visa (USA Retirement) as you suggest and, upon returning from a trip abroad, switch to the O Visa for Retirement to stop the insurance requirement (I looked on this as an (11,400 baht premium) additional tax. With a 200K deductible and excluding pre-existing conditions, it was unusable). In the month before departure an agency noted that I could switch to an O marriage in country before taking the trip. So, I am currently renewing the Extension of Stay on the O Marriage Visa with no insurance requirement.

5 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I am currently renewing the Extension of Stay on the O Marriage Visa with no insurance requirement.

And lower financial requirements - but need a wife and some additional paperwork plus 30 day under review each year.

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And lower financial requirements - but need a wife and some additional paperwork plus 30 day under review each year.

True, but any issue with me ... paperwork a bother but worth saving the 11,400 baht non-useable insurance. Lower financial requirements but ... ha! we spend the 65K I bring in each month anyway so the lower limit does not come into play.

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Just a footnote. As most are aware, it is difficult to find a hard and fast rule at immigration offices across Thailand. I intended to kill my O-A Visa (USA Retirement) as you suggest and, upon returning from a trip abroad, switch to the O Visa for Retirement to stop the insurance requirement (I looked on this as an (11,400 baht premium) additional tax. With a 200K deductible and excluding pre-existing conditions, it was unusable). In the month before departure an agency noted that I could switch to an O marriage in country before taking the trip. So, I am currently renewing the Extension of Stay on the O Marriage Visa with no insurance requirement.

When you already were on a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, there is no problem extending for another year for reason of marriage (provided you meet the additional marriage requirements of course).  And in that case there is NO insurance requirement.  But contrary to what you wrote, in your case your Permissions to stay are still based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa (as you only applied for a different reason, and did not 'kill' the original Non Imm O-A Visa on which the extensions are based). 

The point is that in many Imm offices they will not allow you to apply for the 1-year extension for reason of marriage the FIRST time that you apply, because according to their rules you can only change the 'reason' for the 1-year extension application when you are already on a 1-year extension from that Non Imm O-A Visa.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

When you already were on a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, there is no problem extending for another year for reason of marriage (provided you meet the additional marriage requirements of course).  And in that case there is NO insurance requirement.  But contrary to what you wrote, in your case your Permissions to stay are still based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa (as you only applied for a different reason, and did not 'kill' the original Non Imm O-A Visa on which the extensions are based). 

The point is that in many Imm offices they will not allow you to apply for the 1-year extension for reason of marriage the FIRST time that you apply, because according to their rules you can only change the 'reason' for the 1-year extension application when you are already on a 1-year extension from that Non Imm O-A Visa.  

Good to know. As we are aware. Immigration Office interpretations vary.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 12:02 PM, Red Phoenix said:

Only for all of us to realize that here again, Immigration Office handling varies. Being curious, I asked the agency handling my Extension of Stay I I was listed as an "O-A Visa" holder. Of course they could be wrong, but they relied that I was now listed as holding an "O Visa". Whatever works, I do not need the "O-A Visa" insurance requirement.

19 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Only for all of us to realize that here again, Immigration Office handling varies. Being curious, I asked the agency handling my Extension of Stay I I was listed as an "O-A Visa" holder. Of course they could be wrong, but they relied that I was now listed as holding an "O Visa". Whatever works, I do not need the "O-A Visa" insurance requirement.

If you never exited Thailand to 'kill' your Non Imm O-A Visa, your annual extensions are still based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa. 

The agency is correct that when applying for the 1-year extension for reason of marriage, it does not make a difference whether your original Visa was Non Imm O-A or Non Imm O.

But if you would want to get rid of the bureaucratic extras that come with a 'marriage' extension, and want to switch to a 1-year extension for reason of retirement, you will be confronted again with the Health Insurance requirement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/21/2024 at 11:18 AM, streetlite said:

I have excellent medical insurance from the US but immigration insists on Thai insurance. Is the an inexpensive policy for this 76 year old with prvious medical conditions?

LMG is the cheapest. You can get a policy up to age 80, with previous medical conditions. Premium is 36700 baht. Renewable up to age 100, but premium is upped to mid 60k for ages past 80.

This is a throwaway policy, with its huge deductibles. But since you already have excellent insurance from the US, no big deal.

Like you, I have excellent insurance from the US (Tricare). But I needed the LMG policy for O-A extensions. However, last year I switched to an LTR WP visa, and they allowed my Tricare policy to meet the insurance requirement. If you meet the financial requirement for an LTR visa, something to consider -- plus many other benefits as well.

• Sad 1