Yingluck’s return has to be soon, but things can get complicated

snoop1130

45 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I think a very LARGE proportion of The People might be delighted to see her return, and not in manacles, even if they think she wasn't a great PM.

(But of course I was forgetting: Isaan people don't count.)

Not only that, but the fact that her party capitulated, and abandoned any pretense of goodness, morality or ethics by jumping into bed with the do nothing, toxic army, alienated a huge swath of PT supporters. I have family in Issan, and they are now indifferent at best about the PT, and anything Shin related.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenge, though, is that she is the ONLY chess piece that the military/elite have.

With everything that they said and did about the Shin dynasty, it will be very hard to convince a large part of their backers and voters that they are the tough pro monarchy for elite government.

It also takes away their last bit of control over the PTP.  Once YL is back and the charges against Thaksin are resolved, there is little to stop the Shin's from starting up again with everything that either was wrong or perceived wrong by the military elite.  

It is hard to say that they are a menace to the country after you have pardoned the family.

Also, it becomes harder to try the people that have spoken out as they now have precedence, if not in court, at least in the media, as to why people should not be jailed for being against the military.

You make an interesting argument. Let us see how this plays out, now that the army and the PT are highly compromised partners.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Always fascinating to read the comments of the haters, unable to understand basic Western judicial concepts like 'Innocent until proven guilty' or to differentiate criminal behaviour from political missteps. (Yawn)

I have no dog in this fight but wasn't she found guilty?

Not a hater couldn't give a monkeys cuss about either her or her dad but what I despise is hypocrisy, you know saying one thing then doing another, telling people one thing then doing another, you get the picture 

What did daddy say? I will never get in bed with the junta, how did that work out again??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Always fascinating to read the comments of the haters, unable to understand basic Western judicial concepts like 'Innocent until proven guilty' or to differentiate criminal behaviour from political missteps. (Yawn)

You could check in the news of that time what she did. And you could read about why she fled out of Thailand.

I guess the only excuse which she has is that she didn't know what she did. She just followed the orders of her brother.

If you think she is innocent, then I guess you lived for too long in a red village or you get your "news" from fb and Nit and Noi. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not only that, but the fact that her party capitulated, and abandoned any pretense of goodness, morality or ethics by jumping into bed with the do nothing, toxic army, alienated a huge swath of PT supporters. I have family in Issan, and they are now indifferent at best about the PT, and anything Shin related.

Yep. Think the magic wore away some time ago - for most folks that were at one time under the spell. 

They might have new invented heroes today......whoever they might be.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Let's have a snap election and boot out PT in favour of MFP.  Then Yingluck will have to continue her extended shopping trip to Harrods.

Remember who pulls the strings in almost all instances. 

Free, fair and non-intervention elections, indeed. 

When has this ever happened. 

Only in the dream state.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Let's have a snap election and boot out PT in favour of MFP.  Then Yingluck will have to continue her extended shopping trip to Harrods.

That will 1.  be up to the Thai government when and IF the next election will be, 2.  It is up to the Thai people how they vote, and 3  it will also depend on the result and whether those in power will allow the vote to stand.

Whether Yingluck returns or not depends on many factors but getting right down to it, if the person at the very top wants to allow her to return, nobody lower down can stop her returning.

11 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I remember she was found guilty of criminal negligence and sentenced to 5 yrs  and  how she skipped the country let out over the border by immigration officals."Innocent until proven guilty eh"[Yawn]🤣

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Red Forever said:

At last an OP speaking common sense.

The AN hate mob have wished for 6 months that violent protest against the 2 democratically elected P.M.s would erupt. This has manifestly failed to occur. The OP said that what little protest there has been has hardly been volcanic.

Come back soon Yingluk.

The turn out at Don Muang was mild for Taksin. Most people don't care.

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

That will 1.  be up to the Thai government when and IF the next election will be, 2.  It is up to the Thai people how they vote, and 3  it will also depend on the result and whether those in power will allow the vote to stand.

Whether Yingluck returns or not depends on many factors but getting right down to it, if the person at the very top wants to allow her to return, nobody lower down can stop her returning.

Voting doesn't seem to matter anymore and the fact that a free and honest vote can be stolen like it was recently, and a well-qualified, smart, earnest reformist candidate like Pita can just be tossed by the wayside, will no doubt help to establish more apathy on the part of the population. They must look at this and they say if our vote doesn't matter, if the extremely toxic and corrupt army is just going to steal the election anyway, what good does it do? 

It really does prove that Thailand is not a democracy, until they diminish the power of the army it never will be. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:35 PM, spidermike007 said:

You make an interesting argument. Let us see how this plays out, now that the army and the PT are highly compromised partners.

PT probably had no other choice but to compromise and meld. As it's always been.

Remember who pulls the strings behind the curtain.

• Agree 2