No charging option in condo - Need advice

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

EV owners are the future

You're a fossil using fossil fuel

I guess you're not following the more recent engineering studies showing that the copper, metals and other materials required to fortify the grid(s) to charge all the EV's they have forecasted, far exceeds the capacity of all the mining operations in the world.  They're talking about millions and millions of tons of copper (more and faster than they're able to mine it), and distribution transformer deliveries that are currently in the 5-10 year range.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, quake said:

Never said I was an expert.

And stop defecting things talking about solar power and your job. yawn.

But I know what condo management get up to most of the time.

( sorry I forgot it will all be free in the long run ) :cheesy:

Now let just point out something to you.

You plugged your car in to a socket in the parking area of your condo.

Now you had no idea what the rating of the wiring was from that socket.

or the state of it. but you just plugged it in and went off to bed.

What a dangerous entitled person you were to do that. 

Now you must live in a very very nice condo.

Because if you had done that in my building.

it would have been unplugged with in a few minutes, by security.

if you had done it a second time ( as you did )

your car would have been jacked up on 4 dollies and remove from that area and left up on the dollies ( locked) until you went to the office to explain what you were doing. ( possible fine)

Entitled EV owners shinning so bright.

I live in a crap building unlike you. :cheesy:

Well done for your care and due diligence when selecting a vehicle.

and accommodation. top marks -100

But get ready for an annul fee increase,.

you will understand that when it comes,  and it will, that's if they do entertain EV charging in your condo. very unlikely at present

Good luck.

Solar panel example was just to make a point, you chose to ignore it.

Please enlighten me regarding annual increase fee, you seem to know how condo are managed so please share you knowledge.

Now you had no idea what the rating of the wiring was from that socket.

or the state of it. but you just plugged it in and went off to bed.

What a dangerous entitled person you were to do that. 

I didn't know I was such a dangerous person, using a charger that is made to be used on standard Thai electrical outlet. Please give a lecture on how it could catch fire I'm very interested.

On a less sarcastic note, I knew perfectly that I was using common area electricity and record exactly how much KW I used so I can pay back the condo for the 2 charges I did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, impulse said:

I guess you're not following the more recent engineering studies showing that the copper, metals and other materials required to fortify the grid(s) to charge all the EV's they have forecasted, far exceeds the capacity of all the mining operations in the world.  They're talking about millions and millions of tons of copper (more and faster than they're able to mine it), and distribution transformer deliveries that are currently in the 5-10 year range.

Would that be the same problem that there is insufficient manufacturing infrastructure in the 5-10 year range to make all the forecasted EV's ?

Please quote a source.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

He does not need a charging point. He would like one for the convenience of charging while parked. He is ready to carry the costs. If they wont install a charging point then I doubt it'll be a big issue for him. He'll just refuel at a pump or charge somewhere else.

But people here make it sound like it was a mistake to buy that hybrid and he should have checked regarding chargin in the condo before buying the car. It doesn't matter. It's a question of convenience.

Thank you for that.

You are aware ICE vehicles are between 10 and 140 times more likely to catch fire than EV’s?

The problem is not that they start to burn.

The problem is that it is nearly impossible to stop a lithium battery fire.

It's easy to find many articles and videos about this problem.

29 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

But people here make it sound like it was a mistake to buy that hybrid and he should have checked regarding chargin in the condo before buying the car. It doesn't matter. It's a question of convenience.

"...people here make it sound like it was a mistake to buy that hybrid...".

..In his case it clearly was, hence the thread!

"It doesn't matter. It's a question of convenience".

Bearing in mind the lack of convenience he has experienced, it clearly does matter!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Bearing in mind the lack of convenience he has experienced, it clearly does matter!

Maybe not an inconvenience owning, just asking for suggestions to make more convenient, when at the condo.  How inconvenient is it to top up a 12kWh battery while at the market.  Even Lotus's are installing CS, and most large malls now have them.  On a slow 50kWh cable, that all of 15 minutes, or 30 minutes on a slower 22kWh cable.

Y'all seem to read too much in to everything.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It eventually will be added to the amenities offered, for the better class of condos on offer.

... same as number of parking spaces available, usually to larger units

... same as having a gym, or how many gyms in the complex

... same as offering pool, one or more pools to be enjoyed

... in house restaurant or market

Or you can buy that 28m² box room, and simply enjoy not paying rent.  Options abound, to meet you desires or bank account .

Nothing more than a selling point for those that want, or can afford.   Prices always dictated by location, and amenities offered.  EV charging will simply be another on the list to market & advertise.

If I was looking for a condo, I wouldn't consider one that didn't have EV charging, and in the future, I'm guessing there's going to be more than a few more with the same mindset.  EV are here to stay, and more coming everyday.  I've already seen condo adverts mentioning EV charger available.

If the fossils want to use fossil fuel, we're OK with that, just remember, slower traffic to the left.

DISCLAIMER:  This and many posts of mine are PSAs or entertainment, you decide.   OK, I do drive the speed limit, for full disclosure, but not in a Celerio :cheesy:

Your an E owner, solar power guy so you have some bias

And your not a condo owner.

But your point about EV charging as a selling point for buying a condo.

that could go either way mate. early days on that one.

But I would say most people who live in condos, will have a motor bike.

not a car. or even a push bike or no transport at all.

Edited by quake
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i wonder if all of you people avoiding any shopping centre parking, because nowadays so many mall's have EV charching stations. just tell us, why do mall's (eg. central group) do install EV charger, if it is soooo dangerous ...

Well a shopping center, mall, have people in attendance all the time.

that's a bit different from plugging in and going to bed.

just not the same.

End result could be the same. :giggle:

• Haha 1

It can be very expensive to get all those extra amps needed to charge 1 car, let alone many in the same condo at the same time. No condo association should even consider it. You want to drive an EV, make sure you have somewhere to plug it in before you buy one. 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not it wasn't a mistake. How did you come to that conclusion? The OP made no such indication.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It doesn't need a charger. It can use one, it doesn't need one. It's a hybrid.

There are two types pf hybrid. Self-charging....which get ALL their power from fossil fuel, and the other type which get their power from the petrol engine, plus some from the power station down the road, which is possibly burning coal, gas or uranium!   

Yours is obviously the former, using petrol to charge it.

18 minutes ago, quake said:

Well a shopping center, mall, have people in attendance all the time.

that's a bit different from plugging in and going to bed.

just not the same.

End result could be the same. :giggle:

I would agree with you if you had number to back up your theory. You state that EV charging is dangerous, prove it to us.

Where are your numbers ? Statistics, articles, anything ? How many burned EV car in Thailand in 2023 ? How many interventions from firefighters regarding fires in condo because of EV charging station ?

Once again I'm not pro EV, I'm just asking some question here. You seem to have no trust in EV charger but how did you come to that conclusion ? I'm not trolling you, I just want to know how did you come to that conclusion.

I don't believe in god but do you see my in the "god" topic on the forum telling everyone one who believe that they are wrong ?

Edited by Dewey
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

There are two types pf hybrid. Self-charging....which get ALL their power from fossil fuel, and the other type which get their power from the petrol engine, plus some from the power station down the road, which is possibly burning coal, gas or uranium!   

Yours is obviously the former, using petrol to charge it.

Mine? You are confusing me with the OP. Anyways. No single hybrid needs a charger because by definition they can also use fuel. Some can use a charger (plug-in), some can't. OP's car obviously can.

Edited by eisfeld

My biggest concern in the OP's position would be that the number of chargers will probably always lag the number of owners with EV's, and that will create (and/or perpetuate) issues over parking.  Unless parking spaces are assigned, I'd expect friction when someone with an ICE parks in an EV charging space because that's the only space available.  Or the EV owner who parks for 2 weeks in a charging space because that's how often he moves his car.  In my case, the only time I moved my vehicle was one or 2 weekends a month, only to go on road trips.  Otherwise, it stayed parked wherever I found a space for it in the unassigned parking.

The cleanest solution is to just not allow EV charging, but that's not much of a solution.  And once there are charging points, it may start a stampede of newly minted EV owners.  And then, there's gotta be a whole spate of new rules to share them equitably.  Obviously, that issue goes away with assigned parking spaces with their own dedicated charging stations.  But how many condos can do that, especially if they weren't designed for the purpose?

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

So you're saying investing in copper will make me rich? Thanks.

Pin on Rays Baseball Game

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I would agree with you if you had number to back up your theory. You state that EV charging is dangerous, prove it to us.

Where are your numbers ? Statistics, articles, anything ? How many burned EV car in Thailand in 2023 ? How many interventions from firefighters regarding fires in condo because of EV charging station ?

Once again I'm not pro EV, I'm just asking some question here. You seem to have no trust in EV charger but how did you come to that conclusion ? I'm not trolling you, I just want to know how did you come to that conclusion.

I don't believe in god but do you see my in the "god" topic on the forum telling everyone one who believe that they are wrong ?

Look at you

Please show where i said  EV charging was dangerous.

( but it can be )

I did say you were a dangerous and an entitled person.

You again fail to understand, condos have rules and regulations.

they are in place to stop idiots from doing idiotic things.

( Not saying you are) but you plugged in a type of device where you should have not. ( entitled EV owner)

Now Thailand has many different nationalities come in to condos.

and some of these people come from places that the electric is 110v

and they forget that, and plug devices in and they catch fire.

This is why we have rules and regulations.

I was involved in a fire offshore where this happened, we got it out before it did any real damage. was about 10 years ago and most power supplies are universal now, but not all appliances.

do you see any wrong in what you did now ?

bet not.

Good day.

Safety first. :giggle:

Edited by quake
  • Haha 1

I don't live in a condo, but if I did I wouldn't be happy with ICE cars parked near my EV knowing the ICE car is between 10 and 140 times more lilkly to catch fire than my EV.

At least its easy to put an 'ICE' fire out.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, quake said:

Look at you

Please show where i said  EV charging was dangerous.

( but it can be )

I did say you were a dangerous and an entitled person.

You again fail to understand, condos have rules and regulations.

they are in place to stop idiots from doing idiotic things.

( Not saying you are) but you plugged in a type of device where you should have not. ( entitled EV owner)

Now Thailand has many different nationalities come in to condos.

and some of these people come from places that the electric is 110v

and they forget that, and plug devices in and they catch fire.

This is why we have rules and regulations.

I was involved in a fire offshore where this happened, we got it out before it did any real damage. was about 10 years ago and most power supplies are universal now, but not all appliances.

do you see any wrong in what you did now ?

bet not.

Good day.

Safety first. :giggle:

Alright, let say EV is not dangerous, only me then.

But I'm still interested to know how dangerous I am when plugging a charger on compatible outlet.

Please come to my condo, inspect the charger and the outlet and then prove to me how dangerous it was.

I'll be happy to offer you the coffee.

20 minutes ago, bbko said:

So you're saying investing in copper will make me rich? Thanks.

Nope.  You won't find me forecasting any commodity metal prices.  I'm one of those conspiracy wingnuts who believe (based on previous, sad experience) that there are pricing pressures at work beyond normal supply and demand.  For years, I bought and sold machined goods with a lot of copper and nickel content, and the fluctuations in prices seemed pretty much unrelated to natural market forces, and more related to where the hottest money was flowing.

14 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Alright, let say EV is not dangerous, only me then.

But I'm still interested to know how dangerous I am when plugging a charger on compatible outlet.

Please come to my condo, inspect the charger and the outlet and then prove to me how dangerous it was.

I'll be happy to offer you the coffee.

No Coffee thanks. ( gives me acid reflux now days.

Make it 3 large beer Chang's and I'm in. :thumbsup: