No charging option in condo - Need advice

On 2/26/2024 at 11:53 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Why should they be pressured in making a quick decision other than the one preventing you from taking electricity for free?

They are there to create good living circumstances, not delivering infrastructure for cars. You should have thought about this topic long before you bought the car.  

Condo management is so not there to help residents. They exist to make money. And all their behavior and actions transpire accordingly. 

On 2/26/2024 at 11:43 AM, Dewey said:

I told them that I would be happy to pay for it, they just have to add a meter on one outlet in the parking (which I would be happy to pay for) -> they refused but can't tell me the reason.

This seems like an obvious solution. But 

On 2/26/2024 at 11:43 AM, Dewey said:

I knew from the start that they would not allowed that but I did it to see their reaction.

Well now suffer the consequences, you should have tried to get it sorted before buying the car, an expensive mistake to make.

• Agree 1

On 2/26/2024 at 1:31 PM, Dewey said:

If you guys start to compare gasoline pump and EV charging then you really don't understand the topic.

Anyway, I knew from the start that such topic would be full of trolls but I though you guys had better things to do on a Monday morning.

It's Friday morning :coffee1:

• Confused 3

On 2/26/2024 at 1:33 PM, quake said:

You start a thread and then call people trolls, when you don't like the answers you get.

You Big Girls Blouse. 

We are all trolling on this Bright MONDAY morning, give the guy a break he doesn't even know what day it is...... :cheesy:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

We are all trolling on this Bright MONDAY morning, give the guy a break he doesn't even know what day it is...... :cheesy:

Once again, look at the original date of the post. A bit early to start drinking bro..

• Haha 2

How many condos would be happy to install a gasoline pump in an underground car park just below occupied condos? That's what most people think about the idea of EV charging stations in their condo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

How many condos would be happy to install a gasoline pump in an underground car park just below occupied condos? That's what most people think about the idea of EV charging stations in their condo.

Nonsense, EV's are between 13 and 139 times less likely to catch fire than an ICE vehicle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:21 PM, daveAustin said:

Reread it. They said they would be happy to pay. Management are being typical in turning this down because it is the easy option and they will not lose face. If they entertain the topic and thus show their ignorance in not understating correctly, they will lose face which as we all know is very important here. I would get a Thai to negotiate with them on your behalf and offer to pay for the socket and for the electric. If they will not budge, sell up and tell them to go and do one (in a polite manner). More condos here will need to conform as this is the way the world is going.

Not an answer however let me share; there was a senior cop owner / resident in my old condo in Bkk, very pleasant balanced guy spoke advanced English. Always asked good questions / made valuable comments at annual / extraordinary owners meetings.

One additional attribute of the sne cop, if there was a specific discussion and the chair person tried to jump to the next agenda item / another subject the snr. cop would stand up and say 'wait, the discussion right now has not been completed, I suggest the chair person ask for suggestions and then take a vote'.

I can just imagine the snr. cop now if there was a discussion about EV chargers, he would insist (alway calmly), there is no decision the meeting cannot move on until there is some voted resolution. 

This guy bought his condo second hand, he attended owners meetings immediately. First meeting he attended there was a mention of the continuing lack of repairs to the pool. Snr. cop asked for a summary of the situation from the  of the paid condo manager. She tried to abruptly change the subject. Snr. cop responded with 'who would like a summary of the situation', then 'do you have any handout on the progress of getting repairs', then 'don't cut off my discussion point, owners are entitled to ask questions and get complete answers.

A snr. bank employee (new owner) then said 'Can I propose we take a 1 hr recess and I will pay for coffee and snacks, then the condo manager give an up to date summary re the pool'. 

Bank manager also said to the condo manager, 'please task one of your staff to take names of owners and their tel. no's and tell the employee must call each number when the meeting is ready to continue'. Paid manager responded with abuse and 'don't tell me what to do'. Many owners pushed the paid manager to do as suggested by the bank guy. 

One hr later meeting restarts, paid manager says she needs 30 days to make a report re pool repairs.

Instant response from 90% of owners 'No, now'. (Pool had not been functional for 2.5 years.)

Snr cop suggested that a vote be taken to remove the pool repairs from the paid managers responsibilities and an owner (if willing) be appointed to manage the pool repairs.

Vote taken, all agreed. Then a Thai engineer (unit owner) spoke and explained his qualifications and experience and offered to be the pool repairs project manager. Vote taken all in attendance agreed.

The crunch: The new pool project manager asked for the file re reports / quotations for repairs. Turned out the manager had not kept any file.

Next: a vote whether condo paid manager be dismissed. She left the building 1 hr later, not allowed to remove any documents.

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

her car is the performance variant 

IMHO, many people can easily function without a home charger.

You go girl ... 👍

Agree, home charging is not a requisite to own, simply more convenient, and a bit cheaper.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

She only got the car 10 days ago, today was the second time she charged it, we went to a PTT and plugged it in, easy peasey, it took 30 minutes to go from 20% to 80%, her car is the performance variant with NMC batteries and you don't charge past 80% unless you're going on a long drive.

We had a coffee at Amazon and then ger phone pinged to say "Charging Complete"

IMHO, many people can easily function without a home charger.

What about when she needs to balance the battery? I believe this only works on slow chargers and you have to spend a long time charging to 100% and then allow extra time for the balancing.

9 minutes ago, matchar said:

What about when she needs to balance the battery? I believe this only works on slow chargers and you have to spend a long time charging to 100% and then allow extra time for the balancing.

I'm not sure whether you need to do that on NMC batteries, they recommend you only charge to 80% every time unless you're traveling a long distance, you have to tell the car to do that, it's not the default.

EV Pluz also have a 220v charging option so I guess she could do that if it's necessary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm not sure whether you need to do that on NMC batteries, they recommend you only charge to 80% every time unless you're traveling a long distance, you have to tell the car to do that, it's not the default.

EV Pluz also have a 220v charging option so I guess she could do that if it's necessary.

I think NMC batteries require balancing about once a month and for me this would be quite inconvenient without a home charger.

If an equalisation charge has not been carried out for sometime, the message centre in the instrument pack will

display 'Please Slow-charge the Vehicle'.

9 minutes ago, matchar said:

I think NMC batteries require balancing about once a month and for me this would be quite inconvenient without a home charger.

If an equalisation charge has not been carried out for sometime, the message centre in the instrument pack will

Then buy one that has LFP chemistry ... options abound.   Unless waning silly performance or live in very cold region, LFP is a better choice anyway for longevity, I think.

LFP Battery cycle.png

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

My 76 year old lady friend just bought an EV, she can't charge at home, she goes for a coffee once a week at Amazon/PTT and charges her car there whilst relaxing.

More of a curiosity than anything else...  why can't she charge it at home ?

Does she live in a condo ?? or a hut without electricity ?....    

As you point out - for those with plenty of time - popping out for a coffee and charging is not a big issue.... 

Its only the same as popping out and getting a car cleaned... 

30 minutes ago, matchar said:

When it happens she will have to fast charge to 80% and then use the AC plug at EV Pluz.  I will let you know when she gets the message

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

More of a curiosity than anything else...  why can't she charge it at home ?

Does she live in a condo ?? or a hut without electricity ?....    

As you point out - for those with plenty of time - popping out for a coffee and charging is not a big issue.... 

Its only the same as popping out and getting a car cleaned... 

She lives off grid, she does have Solar but she regularly runs out.  I have told her to identify when her batteries reach full charge then she can probably do some charging at home, but not much.

Edited by JBChiangRai

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

She lives off grid, she does have Solar but she regularly runs out.  I have told her to identify when her batteries reach full charged than she can probably do some charging at home, but not much.

Ah got it....       According to Khun LA the Solar is enough to charge the car...   I guess he has a bigger set up.

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ah got it....       According to Khun LA the Solar is enough to charge the car...   I guess he has a bigger set up.

Depends on size of system of course, and no matter what size, if not charged during the daylight hours, you certainly wouldn't use your ESS/battery to charge overnight.

We charged the car today, ~20%, which is about 9kWh, and if used, would be almost half our ESS amount of 20kWh. and we consume 6-8kWh overnight as it is.  So that doesn't happen.   Simply wait until the excess of about 3kWh being produced over consumption, and then plug the car in.  Usually before 0900.

If she only has a 3 or 5kWh system, then half the daylight hours is recharging her battery from the night before, the rest the house is using.   We put the granny charger on the car, and it's sucking 2.3kWh of the 4-8kWh being produced.  That's an 8kWh inverter.

The wall charger is on the grid, since 7.4kWh, but we very rarely use that.   Charge the car when at 85-90%, and only takes a few hours.   When we come back from and O&A, like arriving at 20%, which will take 2 days of sunlight to get back to 100%, or 3, if the sun isn't cooperating.

Here's today production / consumption, and the blue arc is producing, sending to ESS and house using, then you can see when the car is plugged in, then unplugged.   If no blue, then batteries are full and simply producing/using what's needed.

image.png.6bbb44cee7ed51969c5d68ee3de1375b.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Then buy one that has LFP chemistry ... options abound.   Unless waning silly performance or live in very cold region, LFP is a better choice anyway for longevity, I think.

LFP Battery cycle.png

But most LFP batteries charge much slower and they need balancing a lot more often than NMC so they are even more inconvenient if you can't charge at home.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, matchar said:

But most LFP batteries charge much slower and they need balancing a lot more often than NMC so they are even more inconvenient if you can't charge at home.

Think you need to do a bit more homework, before posting :coffee1:

Or since you have no interest, maybe not post at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Think you need to do a bit more homework, before posting :coffee1:

Or since you have no interest, maybe not post at all.

Childish as usual, didn't expect anything else from you.

• Confused 1