No charging option in condo - Need advice

EV charging stations should be everywhere. And it should be pay as you go. I foresee the solution to be a number of charging stations on the periphery of the condos, not paid for by the condo association but some company that arranges and maintains the units. Kind of like the water dispensers that are everywhere.

Who wants to start a business? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

You can't compare filling a car with petrol (5mn) with charging a car (multiple hours). I agree with you that it may not be a condo problem at the moment but it may be in the future if the government update the law.

Not likely.  The EV market will change considerably over the next 10-20 years.  The current versions are impractical compared to petrol based cars, the batteries are too heavy and are too short range.  If no competing fuel comes along then battery tech will improve to (probably) become something that can be swapped out easily and charged in the house/condo without requiring massive infrastructure changes to existing residences.  The people here don't have the luxury of fretting about a small increase in global temperatures over the next 100 years and worry more about simply getting food on the table so hardly a top priority for the government here.   They can bide their time and watch as the west cripples their economies to pander to the middle class blue haired climate warriors and make better choices when the tech improves enough to be viable.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:43 PM, quake said:

It's bad enough getting a parking space in many condos by the owners.

but can you imagine the fighting that would go on, over 10 charging points, in say a 70 car parking area.

Somchai will be ready with his tyre iron or machete very quickly.

To much agro for condos to provide this service. unless it's a very small, very exclusive, fantastically run condo building.

Good luck with that.

What sort of condos do you live in?  

Lots of new condos in Bangkok have charging stations and plenty of the nicer, but slightly older ones are putting them in. 

The condo my GF lives in at True Digital Park has put several of them in all three of the carparks.   

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, James105 said:

Not likely.  The EV market will change considerably over the next 10-20 years.  The current versions are impractical compared to petrol based cars, the batteries are too heavy and are too short range.  If no competing fuel comes along then battery tech will improve to (probably) become something that can be swapped out easily and charged in the house/condo without requiring massive infrastructure changes to existing residences.  The people here don't have the luxury of fretting about a small increase in global temperatures over the next 100 years and worry more about simply getting food on the table so hardly a top priority for the government here.   They can bide their time and watch as the west cripples their economies to pander to the middle class blue haired climate warriors and make better choices when the tech improves enough to be viable.  

Have you seen how big the battery is in an EV?   

There is no way anyone is taking it out and charging it in their condo unit :cheesy:

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Have you seen how big the battery is in an EV?   

There is no way anyone is taking it out and charging it in their condo unit :cheesy:

Yes, they are huge and weigh about a half a tonne.   Which is why I specifically said (and I will repeat it again so read carefully this time and I've highlighted the relevant bits to make it a bit easier for you):

"The EV market will change considerably over the next 10-20 years.  The current versions are impractical compared to petrol based cars, the batteries are too heavy and are too short range.  If no competing fuel comes along then battery tech will improve to (probably) become something that can be swapped out easily and charged in the house/condo without requiring massive infrastructure changes to existing residences"

I'm guessing that you think that the existing car battery tech is its final form and will remain the same forever :cheesy:

6 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

He was wrong but that doesn't mean he's a d-bag and should buy a truck that screams "Look at me, I'm a giant d-bag"...😀 

What is this d-bag ?

Is it some rap name 
Not sure a Ford Raptor makes you a D_bag? must be an american thing?

On 2/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, KannikaP said:

Does a hybrid not charge the battery from the petrol engine?

A friend has just rented a Honda Accord Hybrid, but does not need to charge it.

Can whoever put the SAD emoji please come back and explain, thanks.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, KannikaP said:

Does a hybrid not charge the battery from the petrol engine?

A friend has just rented a Honda Accord Hybrid, but does not need to charge it.

Better to say his Accord Hybrid doesn't have the extra feature of being able to charge it by plugging it in thereby saving 80% of the fuel driving it on mains charged battery over charging it with petrol.

2 hours ago, James105 said:

Yes, they are huge and weigh about a half a tonne.   Which is why I specifically said (and I will repeat it again so read carefully this time and I've highlighted the relevant bits to make it a bit easier for you):

"The EV market will change considerably over the next 10-20 years.  The current versions are impractical compared to petrol based cars, the batteries are too heavy and are too short range.  If no competing fuel comes along then battery tech will improve to (probably) become something that can be swapped out easily and charged in the house/condo without requiring massive infrastructure changes to existing residences"

I'm guessing that you think that the existing car battery tech is its final form and will remain the same forever :cheesy:

Battery technology will improve incrementally, the current versions are NOT impractical compared to legacy fossil fueled cars, ask any of the owners here, we will probably all confirm they are superior.  I don't think 500+ km range is impractical, even the budget models are around 400km, you shouldn't be driving even that distance without a break.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can whoever put the SAD emoji please come back and explain, thanks.

Wasn't me, but reading the comment, does show that many people post on threads, about subjects they don't know about.   Maybe that was their thinking.

Although you did actually enlighten yourself after that post 👍 right after I posted the differences, which you read or simply googled yourself.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:18 PM, transam said:

Most of that looks dangerous to me, plus the yobs will have field day with it.......🤔

Kerbside charging has been available in the UK for over 5 years. I've searched and can't find any evidence of such issues occurring. 

Although, if you have any links or sources, please provide them.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Kerbside charging has been available in the UK for over 5 years. I've searched and can't find any evidence of such issues occurring. 

Although, if you have any links or sources, please provide them.

I posted my thoughts when I saw electric cables laying on the street charging a car, but I also noticed they are not in the UK........

I cannot imagine electric charging cables laying on the street being allowed in the UK, but if it is, feel free to post me photos..........😉

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

I posted my thoughts when I saw electric cables laying on the street charging a car, but I also noticed they are not in the UK........

I cannot imagine electric charging cables laying on the street being allowed in the UK, but if it is, feel free to post me photos..........😉

There is a special channel you can have fitted and you drop your cable in it.  however, people do leave cables trailing across the streets which is obviously a trip hazard.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:05 AM, JBChiangRai said:

You are aware ICE vehicles are between 10 and 140 times more likely to catch fire than EV’s?

“Normally a car fire you can put out with 500 to 1,000 gallons of water,” Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith said, according The Independent. “But Teslas may take up to 30,000-40,000 gallons of water, maybe even more, to extinguish the battery pack once it starts burning."
image.png.4535ed214228b08e0c62a74b19de4564.png
ctif.org/news/150-000-liters-water-needed-put-out-fire-electric-car

On 2/26/2024 at 11:43 AM, Dewey said:

Good morning,

as explained in the title there is no charging option in my condo (condo built in 2009). I recently purchased an hybrid car and I started to charge it on the regular electrical outlet in the parking.
I knew from the start that they would not allowed that but I did it to see their reaction.

For the background story, I'm the owner of my condo unit and multiple owners raised the question about electric chargers (including me) during annual co-owner meeting last year. So far no action from the condo.

As expected, my GF received a text from juristic office to tell me to stop charging my car 2 days after my first charge (I wish they were that fast to take care of other issue in the condo...).

Anyway, I understand that they ask me to stop (after all, all owners will have to share the electricity bill which is not fair) but I'm using this opportunity to put pressure on them (after all, EV is the new trend and we will need more and more chargers in the future) so they can study and propose solutions. I suggested two options myself which were ignored of course:

- Since my car is hybrid, the battery is only 12KWh which cost roughly 60THB per charge, I told them that I would be happy to pay for it, they just have to add a meter on one outlet in the parking (which I would be happy to pay for) -> they refused but can't tell me the reason.

- I proposed to contact and find solution with EV company to install chargers in our condo and then submit different proposal during co-owner meeting later this year -> no answer so far.

Do you guys have any advice for me ? Is there anything I can do to force them to move forward on the topic ? Is there any law in Thailand (existing law or in process to be released) regarding EV charging in condos ?

Thanks in advance.

Did you and/or other owners try to offer to pay for the installation of an EV charging station at your condo? If not, that would be the smart option.

On 2/26/2024 at 12:07 PM, expat_4_life said:

I'm a condo owner and don't own a car. I'm not interested in footing some portion of the cost to put infrastructure, whether it be the chargers themselves or the other inevitable improvements to accommodate a larger load on the system, into our building to cater to EV owners.  I'm doing more for the environment than any EV owner.

In some condo buildings owners don't even own their own parking space. So where would you charge your vehicle? Put a charging station in every parking spot does not seem feasible or solve the problem.

Seems a bit of an intractable problem especially with the boom in condo units.

That's why the OP and his other EV lovers should offer to foot the bill for an EV charhing station in the condo. I'm wondering if he offered to pay for it?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

That's why the OP and his other EV lovers should offer to foot the bill for an EV charhing station in the condo. I'm wondering if he offered to pay for it?

I would have offered to pay for it, have it wired to my meter and charge other EV owners to use it making a small profit, but then I have always been an entrepreneur.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Some Councils are trialing  Cable gullies such as Surrey County Council

The trials are expected to run for a minimum of three years, with 30 cable gullies and 50 AON chargers being installed in the first year. A new quota will be agreed for the following years and if the trial is deemed successful, the limit on numbers will be removed. 

https://news.surreycc.gov.uk/2023/06/15/kerbside-electric-vehicle-charging-trial-launches-in-surrey/

Majority of UK councils have no kerbside EV chargers

Investigation also finds nearly half of councils have no plans to install residential on-street chargers in 2023

More than two-thirds of UK councils have yet to install any kerbside EV chargers, with just over six years to go until the UK government’s ban on the sale of new pure-combustion cars comes into effect. 

An investigation conducted by Vauxhall as part of its new 'Electric Streets of Britain' campaign found that 69% of councils do not have an on-street charge point and that 71.6% lack a published strategy for on-street residential charging.

Of the councils that responded to the investigation, 45% stated they had no plans to install residential on-street chargers this year.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/majority-uk-councils-have-no-kerbside-ev-chargers

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:
“Normally a car fire you can put out with 500 to 1,000 gallons of water,” Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith said, according The Independent. “But Teslas may take up to 30,000-40,000 gallons of water, maybe even more, to extinguish the battery pack once it starts burning."
image.png.4535ed214228b08e0c62a74b19de4564.png
ctif.org/news/150-000-liters-water-needed-put-out-fire-electric-car

Surely such vehicles aren't allowed in undercover/underground car parks?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

My condo is in talks with a company to install 5 charging stations in our outdoor parking area, which has some spare capacity. The condo will provide the electricity which we buy at a significant discount. The profit will be be shared between the charging company and the Condo, which will get the lion's share. 

So the condo association makes money, and, owners get on premises charging. The charging company will use internet marketing to advertise out location to maximize profit.

Could you please share the name of the company ? Thanks.

It seems Malaysia is no different to Thailand when it comes to EV charging in condos

Most condos and apartments in Malaysia still against allowing EV chargers – right-to-charge law soon?

Reasons commonly used by the JMB or MC to reject EV charger installations include: having messy wiring on parking level ceilings, not being able to charge the electricity use back to the user, not wanting to overload the building electricity distribution board (DB), “wait until there are more EVs here lah,” and more.https://paultan.org/2023/10/13/most-condos-and-apartments-in-malaysia-still-against-allowing-ev-chargers-right-to-charge-law-soon/

‘Long road ahead for EV charging stations in condos’

PETALING JAYA: Despite the government’s ambitious roadmap to have 10,000 Electric Vehicle Charging Bays (EVCBs) nationwide by 2025, including in high-rise properties, there remain barriers to getting EV charging stations into residential buildings.

Federation of Malaysia Electric Vehicle Associations president Datuk Seri Jason Lee said many condominium boards and management bodies are still against having EVCBs, thus denying EV car owners the convenience of charging at home.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/10/13/long-road-ahead-for-ev-charging-stations-in-condos

4 hours ago, transam said:

You might want to look again. At least two of those pictures (the last two) are almost certainly from the UK. The last one because it's from a UK article, quoting UK sources:

Kerbside charging biggest barrier to EV adoption, says AFP

And the third one because of the characteristic lamp posts, houses and hedgerows (nowhere else that I've ever been, or seen pictures of, in the world has that combination of features).

The middle one could very possibly be from the UK, given that the article quoted above mentions that some councils are trialling cable gullies.

Only the first photo is overwhelmingly likely to be from a non-UK location, based on the car number plate.

Here's a couple more from UK sources showing EV cables lying on the street.

Screenshot_2024_0228_182755.png

Screenshot_2024_0228_182612.png

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You might want to look again. At least two of those pictures (the last two) are almost certainly from the UK. The last one because it's from a UK article, quoting UK sources:

Kerbside charging biggest barrier to EV adoption, says AFP

And the third one because of the characteristic lamp posts, houses and hedgerows (nowhere else that I've ever been, or seen pictures of, in the world has that combination of features).

The middle one could very possibly be from the UK, given that the article quoted above mentions that some councils are trialling cable gullies.

Only the first photo is overwhelmingly likely to be from a non-UK location, based on the car number plate.

Here's a couple more from UK sources showing EV cables lying on the street.

Screenshot_2024_0228_182755.png

Screenshot_2024_0228_182612.png

Strange the photos in the post I replied to that I can see, have foreign number plates, even one of yours...........🤭