No charging option in condo - Need advice

22 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Alright, let say EV is not dangerous, only me then.

But I'm still interested to know how dangerous I am when plugging a charger on compatible outlet.

Please come to my condo, inspect the charger and the outlet and then prove to me how dangerous it was.

I'll be happy to offer you the coffee.

Not dangerous at all, the outlet in the car park will be rated at 16amps and your charger is probably rated at 10amps, it probably says on the back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are aware that there are between 10 and 140 times  the number ICE vehicles on the road than EV’s?

Yes, the figure I quoted is based a per thousand vehicle statistics, so it is adjusted for that already.  Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs | Electrek

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Alright, let say EV is not dangerous, only me then.

But I'm still interested to know how dangerous I am when plugging a charger on compatible outlet.

Please come to my condo, inspect the charger and the outlet and then prove to me how dangerous it was.

I'll be happy to offer you the coffee.

I am still intrigued.  Is the location of the proposed dedicated meter in a common area? Does the condo grant/allocate specific parking spots for residents?  Does the electrical supply designated for the parking area have sufficient capacity for all resident's parking spots to have their own meter? Is the OP prepared to pay to have the service to the parking area upgraded as such? Or does he expect a special fee for the provision of such to be levied against residents with normal cars.

Thousands of people in the world have no parking rights outside their own houses, how do they charge a rechargeable car? I suppose by owning a hybrid which it seems the OP already has.

This is why not all cars can be wholly electric as proposed by some short-sighted governments who must pander to the short-sighted electorate. But that is probably a subject for a different thread. But I can't be arsed.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I guess you're not following the more recent engineering studies showing that the copper, metals and other materials required to fortify the grid(s) to charge all the EV's they have forecasted, far exceeds the capacity of all the mining operations in the world.  They're talking about millions and millions of tons of copper (more and faster than they're able to mine it), and distribution transformer deliveries that are currently in the 5-10 year range.

I guess you are not following the EV and solar discussions on AN as you would know many EV owners here have solar and many solar owners are considering EVs. In my case I have 2 EVs and an electric motorbike and I don't have a grid connection at all.

One in three Australian households now generate electricity domestically. In South Australia the proportion is nearly 50%. This trend is happening all around the world.

Those who don't charge their EVs from their own produced electricity tend to charge when it's cheaper due to excess supply at night. Did you you know you can get a TOU meter here in Thailand and get half price electricity at night? Cleary not.

Why is it that all the EV haters crying about electricity use by EVs never mention how much more is used in crypto mining and increasingly by AI

https://news.sky.com/story/bitcoin-mining-consumes-more-electricity-than-most-countries-study-suggests-12991456

MEATimeOfRate.jpg.a3a1d053b9f37209b4aeb7b1f2cbd9dd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Thousands of people in the world have no parking rights outside their own houses, how do they charge a rechargeable car?

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

Streetcharging.thumb.jpg.891d2f4c35030763fbf07886b68c606b.jpg

20231015_014530599_iOS.jpg.b01422789bbec2386483ac04443a4b6b.jpg

20231015_015128000_iOS.jpg.65c7c28a72766cd4dd7769205827cef8.jpg

20231015_015257000_iOS.jpg.e270af548dd024cb8191ecc81c037d7b.jpg

20231015_015228000_iOS.jpg.4974789a596e5ae37a24cad1423e441d.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

Streetcharging.thumb.jpg.891d2f4c35030763fbf07886b68c606b.jpg

20231015_014530599_iOS.jpg.b01422789bbec2386483ac04443a4b6b.jpg

20231015_015128000_iOS.jpg.65c7c28a72766cd4dd7769205827cef8.jpg

20231015_015257000_iOS.jpg.e270af548dd024cb8191ecc81c037d7b.jpg

20231015_015228000_iOS.jpg.4974789a596e5ae37a24cad1423e441d.jpg

Most of that looks dangerous to me, plus the yobs will have field day with it.......🤔

• Thumbs Up 2

before you bought the car either you knew there would be a charging issue and didn't resolve it, or you simply didn't plan ahead. you're playing catch up because of your lack of forethought, so don't expect others to jump to solve a problem of your own making.

having said that, this should be a wake up call to your condo management that charging facilities will be a service they will be expected to provide in the future, and a marketing/sales benefit in attracting new owners.

Drop this issue.  Sell your car.  Realize where you are and the extreme limitations of the condo staff.

In my building none of the staff can do their existing job at a professional level let alone expand services.

Here are examples of my condo dealings.

After getting trapped multiple times in lifts, I only use the stairs now.  After getting ear infections in the pool, I quit using it as the pool boy is inept.  The gardener couldn't figure out how to water the plants so I do it outside my room.  The handyman doesn't have any tools when reporting for a call, so I do everything myself now.  My condo car park has too many cars for the limited spaces and you could only park in the inconvenient dak areas, so I sold my car.

In theory your solution should be simple to implement but it will only lead to problems.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Says the op who can't charge his car.
I am sure a vote would go for the Raptor

He's not the OP and the OP can charge his car, just not in the condo parking space.

I'm relatively positive a Ford Raptor would also not be able to fuel up in the condo parking space for what it's worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

i'm relatively positive a Ford Raptor would also not be able to fuel up in the condo parking space for what it's worth.

Somchai to the rescue.

Don't you worry about that.

Where theirs a will,  there's a Somchai.

somcjjai.JPG

Edited by quake

You may have suggested it at the AGM but was the proposal passed by the co owners and entered as agreed in the minutes ? If agreed the outlet should be provided with a suitable  charging out let with a  meter to bill the owner . 

If not agreed and the Juristic manager will not help you can call an emergency AGM as co owner with support and have your reasonable proposal agreed .

I think all new condos will have this facility with defined parking space with chargers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dewey said:

I knew from the start that they would not allowed that but I did it to see their reaction.

So you stole electricity off them to get a reaction? Not a smart move.

Why not charge your car at recharging stations like ICE vehicles do? There aren't enough charging points or its not convenient? Oh well, buy an ICE instead and get off your high horse.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

So you stole electricity off them to get a reaction? Not a smart move.

Why not charge your car at recharging stations like ICE vehicles do? There aren't enough charging points or its not convenient? Oh well, buy an ICE instead and get off your high horse.

If you read the entire topic you would have notice that I told the condo manager that I will refund the 120THB electricity I used (I have the exact amount I used on the app).

The only point of doing that was to get a reaction from the condo management that did nothing from last year co-owner meeting where multiple owners asked for charging option in our parking.

And I got what I wanted, 2 companies will come audit the condo next week and suggest/propose solutions so maybe a smarter move than you think.

And again, if there is no possibility to put chargers in our condo, so be it, but at least the management considered it. I will keep charging at work or at the nearest Tesco. 

11 minutes ago, Dewey said:

And I got what I wanted, 2 companies will come audit the condo next week and suggest/propose solutions so maybe a smarter move than you think.

Good luck with the audit. Our condo has so far resisted the installation of EV chargers on lower floors where the car parks are located as the number of EVs is less than 5% of total cars. There is also no fire suppression systems and monitoring in place to quickly detect and respond to any potential hazards from any unstable EV batteries in cars. Occupants prefer cars to be refueled at fuel stations away from homes for both ICE and EVs.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Reread it. They said they would be happy to pay. Management are being typical in turning this down because it is the easy option and they will not lose face. If they entertain the topic and thus show their ignorance in not understating correctly, they will lose face which as we all know is very important here. I would get a Thai to negotiate with them on your behalf and offer to pay for the socket and for the electric. If they will not budge, sell up and tell them to go and do one (in a polite manner). More condos here will need to conform as this is the way the world is going.

I don't need to reread it. That charging point is not there to charge cars. What happens when more people want to charge their car? Who pays what? Trouble about who charges first and for how long. It is not a condo problem; car manufactures need to make sure there is an infrastructure that can make their cars running.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Dewey said:

You obviously didn't get my point, I'm not asking to get free electricity, I did it (twice) to get a reaction from them. This is not a quick decision either, multiple owners raised the question a year ago (not sure if you consider that "long enough before I buy my car" and so far nothing was done or even study).

"They are there to create good living circumstances" -> yeah right... 

You should have thought about this topic long before you bought the car -> I did, a year ago along other owners. And that is why I did not buy full EV.

Once again, I'm not here to try to fight the system, I'm just pushing them to start thinking about solutions rather than doing nothing, EV is the future (like it or not, personally not a fan but that is the way the world is going).

That charging point is not there to charge cars. What happens when more people want to charge their car? Who pays what? Trouble about who charges first and for how long. It is not a condo problem; car manufactures need to make sure there is an infrastructure that can make their cars running.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

And this doesn't look dangerous to you?

RollingCoal.thumb.jpg.0fbedc9fa5f8a2ba63a1abef337cb472.jpg

That will not electrocute you, you can walk away from it, electric cables laying on the road in the street is a different matter. Damaged ones can kill, yobs can steal....

Try again..............🤭

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why should they be pressured in making a quick decision other than the one preventing you from taking electricity for free?

They are there to create good living circumstances, not delivering infrastructure for cars. You should have thought about this topic long before you bought the car.  

Don't agree. Life / living is a developing picture, things change and will continue to change forever.

Electric cars are the future and condos etc., need to keep up with the times. Nothing difficult/contraversial about that. The equipment involved with creating charging stations is readily available and easy enough to install.

Seems to me the condo management should be organizing charging stations as needed and the condo unit owner paying for it.

I'm guessing the time will come when the sales hype to sell new condo developments will include an EV charging station in each car parking bay. Bought / installed in big numbers as part of the construction the cost will probably be quite small. 

Seems to me to be rather high handed for a condo manager (a paid employee who takes directions from the owners committee) dictates that owners cannot have charging stations.

On a different slant I'm surprised that a local company hasn't created a business to install the charging stations en masse in completed condo developments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Don't agree. Life / living is a developing picture, things change and will continue to change forever.

Electric cars are the future and condos etc., need to keep up with the times. Nothing difficult/contraversial about that. The equipment involved with creating charging stations is readily available and easy enough to install.

Seems to me the condo management should be organizing charging stations as needed and the condo unit owner paying for it.

It is NOT a condo problem that you can't charge your car, like they don't have to have petrol stations on their premises too.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is NOT a condo problem that you can't charge your car, like they don't have to have petrol stations on their premises too.

You can't compare filling a car with petrol (5mn) with charging a car (multiple hours). I agree with you that it may not be a condo problem at the moment but it may be in the future if the government update the law.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It's only a matter of time before the majority of owners will demand EV charging points and then the resolution will pass

All sorted then. I am glad it is that simple.🧐

• Haha 1