Trump One Week To Pay $83.3 Million To E. Jean Carroll She’s Expressing ‘ Serious Concerns'

Social Media

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

As this is a Federal case, the appeal will not be a repeat trial. Instead, Trump's lawyers will have to argue points of law.

They mostly already have. The appeal brief on the assault trial has already been filed.

The appeal of the defamation-only case has been filed but no brief as yet however the appeal will likely follow the motion filed for a new trial in that case as rejeted by Judge Kaplan.

A question for the experts:

Given this is a Federal case, what power would an elected Trump have to stop collection of the verdict? I am assuming that he wouldn't care about the political fallout - what could he possibly do?

I am thinking something extreme, like launching a Federal criminal case against Ms. Carroll, which could stymie her, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

A question for the experts:

Given this is a Federal case, what power would an elected Trump have to stop collection of the verdict? I am assuming that he wouldn't care about the political fallout - what could he possibly do?

I am thinking something extreme, like launching a Federal criminal case against Ms. Carroll, which could stymie her, I don't know.

I'm not an expert but I play one on the internet.

Trump would not have direct power but he could appoint an AG who would stop the prosecution. That might set off a constitutional crisis but Trump could be reasonably assured the SC would step in to save him.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not an expert but I play one on the internet.

Trump would not have direct power but he could appoint an AG who would stop the prosecution. That might set off a constitutional crisis but Trump could be reasonably assured the SC would step in to save him.

I am talking about the Carroll civil case. What could a president do to upend a Federal civil case?

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

I am talking about the Carroll civil case. What could a president do to upend a Federal civil case?

Same thing, the fed prosecutor answers to the AG. Put Bill Barr back in there and it's all over.

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Same thing, the fed prosecutor answers to the AG. Put Bill Barr back in there and it's all over.

What can an Attorney General do to protect Trump against a verdict in a Federal civil trial?

21 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It looks like Round 3 is in the works.

I can't believe Trump's stupidity. Can one of you Trump fans explain what is going through his mind?

a/ it keeps him in the public spotlight- any publicity is good publicity in a campaign.

b/ it garners him more support= votes.

c/ he knows that when he wins it all goes away for 4 more years

d/ it makes the opposition seem desperate= less votes.

e/ he enjoys rubbing the opposition's nose in it

f/ he gets to jazz up his base during the campaign rallies with it

Pretty much win win for Trump, as long as he wins in November.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I can't understand why Trump has not sued her for false accusations. The onus would be on her to prove that she is telling the truth, and I for one don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth about Trump.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Where does Mace say or infer that she doesn't believe Carroll.

"I’m not going to sit here on your show and be asked a question meant to shame me about another potential rape victim," Mace said. "I’m not going to do that." 

BTW The Hill is running the same story with the same quote as above:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4522502-nancy-mace-george-stephanopoulos-trump-endorsement/

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

"I’m not going to sit here on your show and be asked a question meant to shame me about another potential rape victim," Mace said. "I’m not going to do that." 

BTW The Hill is running the same story with the same quote as above:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4522502-nancy-mace-george-stephanopoulos-trump-endorsement/

How is your post relevant to my question? 'Where does Mace say or infer that she doesn't believe Carroll'.

Paradoxically, Mace goes on and tries to shame Carroll without any mention of believing her or not, with:

"And quite frankly, E. Jean Carroll's comments when she did get the judgment," Mace continued.....makes it harder for women to come forward when they make a mockery of rape".

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Where does Mace say or infer that she doesn't believe Carroll.

Yet, you seem to be accusing Carroll of 'making things up'.

That's settled, 'judges and two separate juries have found Trump liable for rape'.  

You’re exactly correct.  Making it up.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't understand why Trump has not sued her for false accusations. The onus would be on her to prove that she is telling the truth, and I for one don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth about Trump.

The onus would be on him to prove she's lying.

“George Stephanopoulos tried to bully me and shame me as a rape survivor over my support for Donald Trump, which is insane to me, because he wasn’t found guilty of rape anywhere,” she said on Fox News’s “The Faulkner Focus.” 

“I wasn’t brought on to talk about my own rape. I didn’t agree to any of that. And he shares the speech I gave, impassioned speech five years ago about telling my story for the first time. It’s very difficult for me to watch that speech. It’s painful,” she said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4524362-nancy-mace-george-stephanopoulos-tried-to-bully-me-during-testy-interview/

On 3/9/2024 at 1:06 PM, Walker88 said:

Right now it is just speculation as to how trump came up with the bond through Chubb. Obviously journalists will try to get a scoop, such as what was pledged, what is the cost, was there a co-signer, etc.

In a sense that is moot, because as part of the process of running for a national political office, a full financial disclosure must be submitted, which includes detail as to what outstanding loans or commitments one has and to whom. The public has a right to know to whom any official is beholden.

Whether trump likes it or not, this bond---and whatever he does to try to post the $453 million bond for his bank and insurance fraud convictions---will be made public.

The $90+ million was underwritten by Federal Insurance of Indiana founded in 1901.

Once the bond has no further objections from team Carroll and is approved by the Court, they have all the information from FIC/Chubb they are going to get.

If one were to ask more in depth questions as above, FIC might say that was all handled by Chubb re-insurance subsidiaries in Bermuda or Switzerland or Lloyd's of London..

Go ask them.

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

The $90+ million was underwritten by Federal Insurance of Indiana founded in 1901.

Once the bond has no further objections from team Carroll and is approved by the Court, they have all the information from FIC/Chubb they are going to get.

If one were to ask more in depth questions as above, FIC might say that was all handled by Chubb re-insurance subsidiaries in Bermuda or Switzerland or Lloyd's of London..

Go ask them.

I very much doubt reinsurance is involved, collateral seems much more likely.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I very much doubt reinsurance is involved, collateral seems much more likely.

Even so. Once the Carroll team and the Judge sign off, I wouldn't expect much more if any further info to be revealed.

Edited by jerrymahoney