Thai taxi driver slams cops for toll indulgence

webfact

On 3/3/2024 at 2:52 PM, NoshowJones said:

Suppose you enter a taxi at a rank in Bangkok and you want to go to Pattaya for a fixed price. Firstly you and the Taxi driver come to an agreement what that price is. Tolls do not even need to be mentioned. If you and the taxi driver agree to a fare of 1,400 Baht, then that is what you pay at arrival in Pattaya, plus a tip if you so wish. 

Tolls are still part of the negotiation for that, but I leave Pattaya for the sophisticated foreigners like you.

On 3/4/2024 at 2:53 PM, BestB said:

and what does google maps have to do with apps where they booked?

Grab use to use google map integrated in their app for navigation purposes.

Since 2 years ago, for some countries they have switched to their own GrabMap and doesn’t need to rely on google maps. But whenever I take grab, the routes that are displayed on drivers grab app are usually exactly same as google maps.

many times these maps don’t show small one way streets that actually avoid a lot of congestion. And during rush hour traffic these maps are not accurate due to changing traffic conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of issues such as this originat from Thailand in general having the reputation of having a lot of cheats and scammers so people are on high alert.

Tourists come here - use an App to try and avoid the scams, then the driver asks for more cash. I can understand why the tourists think this may be a scam. 

When I first came here and paid for the taxi from Don Muang...  there was a 50 baht airport surcharge, then two additional toll charges on top of the metered fare....   I was quite suspicious until I figured it out. 

I can also understand the driver being up set - the BiB should have explained to the Tourists what the charge was for - there are enough translation apps to around to sort that issue out. 

I recall having an issue in Indonesia. 

Came out of departures (about 11pm - night time)....   spoke with the taxi counter, taxi counter stated price - I agreed and was given a slip with the amount. 

Drove out of the airport (about 500m), taxi pulled over and asked for an extra 50,000 Rupiah (about 100 baht more), I refused so the taxi driver told me to get out... so I agreed...  I then started working on the issue, by the time we got to the hotel, the hotel security were waiting. 

The reality is - travelling through many places, taxi drivers have a reputation for scamming passengers, so of course the passengers are on alert to anything which seems abnormal. 

On 3/2/2024 at 12:53 PM, shackleton said:

This is getting beyond a joke  🤡 

The Thai authorities bending over backwards to please the tourists 

Gives the impression Thailand is obsessed with upsetting the Tourist

In getting Thailand a bad name  🤔

It might depend on their nationality!