Your personal opinion guns

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I did say overweight also, meaning carrying more body fat than what is considered healthy. I stand corrected saying that this is worldwide, as most Asians aren't overweight, along with Africans. I've been in the gym business for 50 years, including 16 years of personal training, and see more than the average person does as far as people who are carrying too much body fat. It is more than what is listed in any survey, but again, it's not most. I should have kept that, along with my reply about Walmart waddlers, to the US. In the US, it's above 70% total. People hide body fat in clothes and overweight means just that. My knowledge isn't faulty. I just typed with a particular thing in mind.

Perhaps you should think more carefully about what you say before you type, no?

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There has been a 12% increase in crime, type unspecified. According to Google, New Zealand is quite low on the crime list, generally regarded as one of the safest countries.

Please post a link to support your claim there has been a huge increase in gun crime in New Zealand.

Unfortunately there are no up to date statistics on firearms crime in NZ and it is a very deliberate policy of the previous government to understate crime. 

However there are plenty of reports from last year, and when I was back there last month, there were daily occurrences of gangs using firearms. An armed carjacking within 200 meters of Govt house in Auckland went almost unnoticed in my suburb.

Compare that with when I left school when most houses had guns and there was only a few murders in a whole year by any means.

Try this article from last August.

String of fatal shootings sees NZ reach half its annual gun deaths in 17 days

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300947528/string-of-fatal-shootings-sees-nz-reach-half-its-annual-gun-deaths-in-17-days

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure if the anti gun replies are about guns or Americans.  Just another thread to bash Yanks.  Par for the forum.  

People bring so much intellectual debate to the forums when spewing their bigotry:

... anti Thais

... anti Yanks

... anti EV

... anti CH

... anti RU

... anti TH

... anti USA

... anti guns

... anti alphabet folks

Simply projecting such a happy life they have, and the disgust they must encounter when looking in the mirror every morning.   Who and or what can I bash today ? ... IMHO

on topic, as always ... I'm a firearm fan, the more the better in the hands of legal, trained citizens, anywhere and everywhere.

Its hardly surprising that there are so many mass shootings and other killings by guns with an attitude like that.  Its not anti Yank sentiment, its anti stupidity.

The world looks in on the things that happen in the US and simply can't understand what goes on.  Each time there's a new mass shooting we all think 'surely they'll ban guns now' - they don't.

The evidence is quite clear - when there are guns legally available in society, there are far more shootings but Yanks of course 'need them for protection' - rubbish!

I know I'm arguing a lost cause but next time you think people are Yank bashing - try to understand why? Most people in other countries just cannot understand what goes on in the USA.  Millions Americans voted for a man (and I use that term very loosely) who is clearly unbalanced and refused to accept that he lost an election.  Millions of Americans absolutely believe they need to own a gun - despite the killings.

Sorry, maybe some are anti yank but I believe for most, its just pure amazement at what goes on amongst a supposedly intelligent people. A people who on many occasions like to think they are better than the rest of us, that the USA is No.1. the leader of the free world etc. etc. The evidence provided by the behaviour of a lot of US citizens would seem to point otherwise.

The US appears to be a highly religious society - far more than the UK for example.  Quite how they square that with shooting a burglar in the back (as has happened many times), I fail to understand.  Shooting someone that is running away from your property is not 'protection' its summary punishment!

What has the above paragraph got to do with this discussion?  It illustrates the difference in thinking between a great many US citizens and the rest of us.  I don't expect you to understand that.

I'm not anti yank, I'm anti killing.

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Its hardly surprising that there are so many mass shootings and other killings by guns with an attitude like that.  Its not anti Yank sentiment, its anti stupidity.

The world looks in on the things that happen in the US and simply can't understand what goes on.  Each time there's a new mass shooting we all think 'surely they'll ban guns now' - they don't.

The evidence is quite clear - when there are guns legally available in society, there are far more shootings but Yanks of course 'need them for protection' - rubbish!

I know I'm arguing a lost cause but next time you think people are Yank bashing - try to understand why? Most people in other countries just cannot understand what goes on in the USA.  Millions Americans voted for a man (and I use that term very loosely) who is clearly unbalanced and refused to accept that he lost an election.  Millions of Americans absolutely believe they need to own a gun - despite the killings.

Sorry, maybe some are anti yank but I believe for most, its just pure amazement at what goes on amongst a supposedly intelligent people. A people who on many occasions like to think they are better than the rest of us, that the USA is No.1. the leader of the free world etc. etc. The evidence provided by the behaviour of a lot of US citizens would seem to point otherwise.

The US appears to be a highly religious society - far more than the UK for example.  Quite how they square that with shooting a burglar in the back (as has happened many times), I fail to understand.  Shooting someone that is running away from your property is not 'protection' its summary punishment!

What has the above paragraph got to do with this discussion?  It illustrates the difference in thinking between a great many US citizens and the rest of us.  I don't expect you to understand that.

I don't try to understand the why of other countries or cultures, just accept that's what 'they' want.

UK ... wants the Royals... fine

Muslims ... want Sharia Law .. fine

Yanks ... want guns ... fine

Their country, their culture, they have to live there, not you or me, as it's voluntary once an adult.

Just now, KhunLA said:

I don't try to understand the why of other countries or cultures, just accept that's what 'they' want.

UK ... wants the Royals... fine

Muslims ... want Sharia Law .. fine

Yanks ... want guns ... fine

Their country, their culture, they have to live there, not you or me, as it's voluntary once an adult.

Others comment because people die.  I don't expect you to understand this but citizens of other countries care about who lives and who dies - we do 'give a damn'.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Others comment because people die.  I don't expect you to understand this but citizens of other countries care about who lives and who dies - we do 'give a damn'.

I hope you're not from a country that is part of NATO, as you been on a murdering spree this century, and we're only 23 years in to it.

Think you need to 'give a damn' a wee bit more.

On 3/3/2024 at 2:40 PM, Will B Good said:

Angels or aliens......haven't something like 2% (7 millionish) of Americans been abducted by aliens and (sadly) returned?

sounds like you know people from Arkanas and 'Bama

• Haha 1

I'm quite happy with the way things are in Australia at present.

I get pulled over by a cop and the conversation is something like "G'day mate, you been drinking?"

"Nuh mate, I'll have a few when I get home"

"Bloody hot out here" 

"Yeah, be good if we got some rain"

That's a lot more pleasant than

"Get your Effin' hands on the steering wheel where I can see them, Now"

23 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Such is the thinking in a country where corruption is rampant. Does he not know that when you buy a gun, the owners (buyers) name will be on that purchase? Putting that second gun in the person you shoots hand won't fly, unless of course money is exchanged.

As you say  corruption rampant, so buy the guns illegally  as im sure most Thai's do

15 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The problem in the thinking of those outside the US is that many believe what the newscasters say, without living in it themselves. As I've said before, I lived there for 62 years before I moved here, and sold guns, hunted, shot targets, and didn't have a handgun for protection, although I will when I return. I probably won't carry on person but in my car, because there are loose cannons around and if ever there comes a time when I have to defend myself and, or my family, I'd want a gun there to even the odds. People mostly want guns in America for hunting and targets. More and more want them for protection, whether they will ever use them or not.                                                  America, as some don't seem to realize, is all countries on earth in one place, with relatives of these people coming from all those countries, and the thinking with them as well. America is the number 1 country because of this. Many minds from all countries together, coming up with ideas that work well, and some don't work so well. Americans have the Constitution which made laws a long time ago, the second amendment being one of those. We don't need a militia, as we have laws there which defend our rights and a government, although not perfect, which does help out it's citizens for the most part.                                                                                                                                 Leaders from every country, elected by people and sometimes just put in there by rich people or by force, are mostly narcissists that only care about power and money. Power being most of it. Trump is a billionaire, and he wanted to be God, so others voted him in because they thought he was a smart businessman that would make a good president. They were wrong. I knew this person was a disturbed man long before he became president. Some didn't see this obviously and he got in. Now more and more are seeing him for what he really is. Biden isn't doing such a bad job. It's just that leaving things up to one man has never been a good idea, as it takes a few like minded individuals that are for everyone to make things work. The infighting is ruining anything the people could hope for.                                                                                          Many countries have either dictators or those that aren't voted in but placed. Even here we see a person the people wanted isn't in but replaced by someone the higher ups wanted, so things would remain as they were.                                                                                                                                                                                                            Going back to the yank bashing. It's true that a lot here do it, because they aren't taking what I mentioned into account. Wherever they live or come from, thousands of their nationality live in America, for reasons only they can explain. Trash talking them, especially on a public forum, is stupid. It only makes all of us look bad, seeing we talk bad about other foreigners instead of sticking together in a foreign country. Some Americans might think they are somehow better than anyone else but they're ignorant. Everyone is worth the same. Some have more money and things, but we all are just people with the same kinds of problems. Money can't buy you love, happiness, good health or a good relationship.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   A lot of people in the US are religious. I was a Catholic but prefer just a Christian now, seeing that religions don't make us closer to God but separate us from others, and sometimes people die from it. Fanatics sometimes use religion as an excuse to hurt others. This isn't being close to God but a hater that thinks they're way is right. History has proven it isn't.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Some people , like you mentioned, have shot others in the back as they left their house or car, stopping the threat they had made. This isn't self defense but homicide. This has happened a few times and it makes gun owners look bad. That's where the irresponsibility comes in in gun ownership. If people would practice more, and only use their guns to stop the immediate threat, it wouldn't come out as bad news like it does sometimes. Police abuse their power, shooting unarmed people and those that aren't an immediate threat. There are loose cannons in all fields of work, and a policeman has the tools to hurt and get away with it. This all comes down to mental illness. People who intentionally hurt others who aren't an immediate threat to them or their families are sick. This is proven quite often with American and other countries police forces. Here, an ex cop killed 37 people, including 24 children, because he was mentally ill long before he became a policeman. They didn't test him or he passed somehow, fooling them. People become cops in the US and they are tested, so somethings wrong there.                                                                                                                                              You mentioned that people in the US think differently than the rest of us, meaning you and others from your country, along with other countries. Fact is, people around the world, cultures aside, think much the same. There are only a few different personality types, and these are shared worldwide. Cultures have some thinking some things are a certain way, but people are still, people, with the same attitudes, angers, fears and responsibilities that all other share. Some countries, like this one, are behind in many ways, because of old attitudes and prejudices, but eventually they all get to adopting the thinking and ways of westerners. Some are good, and some aren't. Most people are against killing others, but they have a will to live, and as long as there are people in the world who want to hurt others, there will be people who, rightly so, want them to disappear. If it's going to be you or them, better it's them. Guns will always be around, and if the sick people have them, those that aren't sick need to protect themselves. The police forces can't be everywhere all the time, so that leaves people. Some will abuse that privilege and most won't. Until a better idea comes along, guns will sometimes be in the hands of crazies. And most gun owners aren't out killing people, but just hunting, target shooting and want to feel safer.