Florida is swamped by disease outbreaks as quackery replaces science

Social Media

9 hours ago, 300sd said:

Florida is swamped by disease outbreaks as quackery replaces science

"swamped" with a total number of measles cases of 41!

The quackery is hiding in plain sight!

I remember when there were only 15 cases of Covid in the US, and Trump said it would disappear soon.

Good times.

Fortunately,  vaccination rates for measles are high in the US.

58 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Measles is exceptionally infectioys and it needs 95% of yhe population to be vaccinated to prevent outbreaks...unlime most ithrr infectious diseases where 85% will suffice. 

US used to have that level but no longer.

In Florida it's now about 91%. Hence the outbreaks.

My feeling is that the 95% number is a generalization, and that a vaccination rate of 91% will enough to prevent disaster - this time.

If the activax loons manage to drop the vaccination rate, then it could be trouble.

Well guess old trump didn’t want to be second dumbest person in the country so now he’s saying if elected President he will withhold federal funds from schools that require kids to be vaccinated to attend lol no I’m not making this up!!just think polio making a comeback whooping cough,measles,and a host of other deadly diseases re introduced to our population im absolutely godsmacked that anyone let alone a presidential candidate could say something so absolutely ignorant and misinformed absolutely unbelievable!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 5:12 AM, Purdey said:

I don't suppose this outbreak is preventable so blame foreigners. 

https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/measles/data/global-measles-outbreaks.html

I think what people are concerned about is that  measles was a childhood vaccination that actually lowered or eliminated the disease but the current outbreak is occurring because many Americans and not vaccinating their kids. What's next? Polio? 

What do you know? What's next is leprosy in Florida I guess:

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts-warn-leprosy-isnt-ancient-history-as-cases-surge-in-the-us

Interesting that Chicago is having a measles outbreak.  And you have to read almost the whole article to find out it's happening in migrant shelters. 

Wonder who the MSM is gonna blame for that?  Probably Abbott, for busing a few migrants to Chicago.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/apparent-measles-outbreak-inside-chicago-police-district/

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:12 AM, Purdey said:

I don't suppose this outbreak is preventable so blame foreigners. 

https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/measles/data/global-measles-outbreaks.html

I think what people are concerned about is that  measles was a childhood vaccination that actually lowered or eliminated the disease but the current outbreak is occurring because many Americans and not vaccinating their kids. What's next? Polio? 

Polio is unlikely as it's spread mainly through sharing untreated water.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:06 PM, Danderman123 said:

My feeling is that the 95% number is a generalization, and that a vaccination rate of 91% will enough to prevent disaster - this time.

If the activax loons manage to drop the vaccination rate, then it could be trouble.

Had measles as a kid, along with everyone else, don't know anyone that was harmed, so it can't be that serious.

Bit itchy for a week and then it was gone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

I don't think there's a recommended vaccine for leprosy.   From the link:  In addition, vaccine technology to combat leprosy is in the clinical trials stage and could become available in coming years.  So you can't blame that one on vaccine hesitancy.

And it's not surprising that any outbreak would be in Florida, where the only zoonotic reservoir, are affectionately referred to as "possum on the half shell".  In fact, anywhere in the south, where armadillos are abundant and Bidenomics has forced people to eat whatever they could hunt up.  (Okay, that was a solicitous dig... My bad)  But I've read a bunch of articles and seen a few videos on the right wing blogosphere about people cutting their grocery bills by hunting.

https://thefrugalite.com/save-money-by-hunting/

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6348505464112

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Interesting that Chicago is having a measles outbreak.  And you have to read almost the whole article to find out it's happening in migrant shelters. 

Wonder who the MSM is gonna blame for that?  Probably Abbott, for busing a few migrants to Chicago.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/apparent-measles-outbreak-inside-chicago-police-district/

And as often, the article doesn't support your claim!

"A city spokesperson dismissed reports that speculate that migrants may be the source of this possible measles outbreak, adding that those claims are not only inaccurate but can fuel xenophobia."

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

It's happening inside a police station.

And, as for migrants:

"A city spokesperson dismissed reports that speculate that migrants may be the source of this possible measles outbreak, adding that those claims are not only inaccurate but can fuel xenophobia."

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Had measles as a kid, along with everyone else, don't know anyone that was harmed, so it can't be that serious.

Because you were vaccinated against measles as a child.

Those who are not vaccinated are at risk.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:34 AM, impulse said:

From the CDC themselves:

Measles cases in 2024

As of February 29, 2024, a total of 41 measles cases were reported by 16 jurisdictions: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.

Measles cases in 2023

During January 1-December 31, 2023, a total of 58 measles cases were reported by 20 jurisdictions: California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

Or, you can believe the MSM, who seem bound and determined to undermine DeSantis.

Well done. Guardian are the quacks!

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me too, I had mumps as well. Only dangerous if you get it as an adult.

Fortunately, and obviously, neither of you are medical doctors:

Top 4 Things Parents Need to Know about Measles

1. Measles can be serious.

Some people think of measles as just a little rash and fever that clears up in a few days, but measles can cause serious health complications, especially in children younger than 5 years of age. There is no way to tell in advance the severity of the symptoms your child will experience.

• About 1 in 5 people in the U.S. who get measles will be hospitalized
  • 1 out of every 1,000 people with measles will develop brain swelling, which could lead to brain damage
  • 1 to 3 out of 1,000 people with measles will die, even with the best care

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/parents-top4.html

And from the WHO:

• Measles is a highly contagious, serious airborne disease caused by a virus that can lead to severe complications and death.
  • Measles vaccination averted 56 million deaths being between 2000 and 2021.
  • Even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available, in 2021, there were an estimated 128 000 measles deaths globally, mostly among unvaccinated or under vaccinated children under the age of 5 years.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles

All of the above is a concern because there has been a rise lately in the numbers of parents NOT having their children vaccinated against measles, even though the MMR vaccine is 97% effective in preventing measles with two doses, and 93% effective with only one of the two recommended doses.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/measles/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:19 AM, retarius said:

The Guardian: a trusted source for propaganda.

How about NBC TV in South Florida:

Florida surgeon general doesn't urge vaccinations amid measles outbreak

Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo wrote in a letter emphasizing how contagious measles is and how effective the MMR vaccine is in preventing the disease, but he did not urge parents to immunize their children.

The Florida Department of Health released a letter Tuesday from Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo emphasizing how contagious measles is and how effective the MMR vaccine is in preventing the disease, but Ladapo did not urge parents to immunize their children.

“He does not, which is an interesting letter from a surgeon general," Zeman said. "I believe evidence is overwhelming that people ought to get vaccinated."

“The letter doesn’t explicitly say we need to get more people vaccinated, and that is a key point that families need to know,” Dr. Marty said.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-surgeon-general-measles-vaccinations-outbreak/3239826/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

March 16 / CBS News

"There have been more measles cases reported so far in 2024 than all of 2023, with more than 60 confirmed or suspected cases currently recorded. Chicago has 12 confirmed cases, including 10 linked to a migrant shelter, causing the city to enact new policies amid the outbreak."

The video talks about 60 confirmed or suspected cases in 17 different U.S. states.  The last number I'm seeing for Florida was a count of 10 cases there.

From the above video:

Screenshot_2.jpg.c241da1603e7bac76bd89d2f9dfc623e.jpg

And yet, some context for the current situation:

Screenshot_4.jpg.da0fb955bbe33e94c97dbb21ed0875a4.jpg

Screenshot_5.jpg.cfb8a44aa418ebcafe8ad21d4c52c478.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

I suspect, what helped draw the very heavy news media attention to Florida's recent measles outbreak was the anti-vax state surgeon general there flouting established public health guidance for responding to measles outbreaks and avoiding calling on the unvaccinated to get vaccinated.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-surgeon-general-measles-vaccinations-outbreak/3239826/

"Ladapo sent a letter to parents that pediatricians, immunologists and infectious disease experts have criticized. The letter acknowledged what has been common practice to contain measles outbreaks — that unvaccinated children or those without immunity should remain home during the incubation period of the virus, or up to 21 days.

Ladapo, then, however, wrote that, “due to the high immunity rate in the community,” the Department of Health “is deferring to parents or guardians to make decisions about school attendance.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/article285834346.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, candide said:

And as often, the article doesn't support your claim!

Of course that's what a Dem city spokesperson would say.  'Cause they want Biden re-elected.  And the MSM article claims that the cases have been in police stations.  But you have to read real hard to see where they mention that those police stations are being used to shelter migrants.

As CBS 2 has reported, police stations across the city have been serving as shelters for asylum seekers -- including the 25th District. 

Here's a more honest article:

Eight people living at a Chicago shelter for migrants have tested positive for measles since last week...

Ten infections total have been reported in the city since Thursday, which the Chicago Department of Public Health said was the first instance of measles detected locally since 2019. Two of the cases — an adult and a child — were not shelter residents.

https://apnews.com/article/measles-chicago-migrant-shelter-cdc-e58517c830f73e42266d45d45983c12b

But don't blame the migrants because that won't fit the narrative...  And it's an election year. 

Edit:  You'd have to be a Dem to not see the political slant here.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Of course that's what a Dem city spokesperson would say.  'Cause they want Biden re-elected.  And the MSM article claims that the cases have been in police stations.  But you have to read real hard to see where they mention that those police stations are being used to shelter migrants.

As CBS 2 has reported, police stations across the city have been serving as shelters for asylum seekers -- including the 25th District. 

Here's a more honest article:

Eight people living at a Chicago shelter for migrants have tested positive for measles since last week...

Ten infections total have been reported in the city since Thursday, which the Chicago Department of Public Health said was the first instance of measles detected locally since 2019. Two of the cases — an adult and a child — were not shelter residents.

https://apnews.com/article/measles-chicago-migrant-shelter-cdc-e58517c830f73e42266d45d45983c12b

But don't blame the migrants because that won't fit the narrative...  And it's an election year. 

Edit:  You'd have to be a Dem to not see the political slant here.

Thanks for confirming that I was right.

You did not found any quote confirming that it was due to migrants in the first linked article, and actually it only mentions a "possible", "apparent", "unlikely" outbreak.

This is confirmed by the dates of the articles.

The first article you initially linked was from June 4, 2023.

The second article you just cited is from March 14, 2024 and states (your own citation: "was the first instance of measles detected locally since 2019."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Because you were vaccinated against measles as a child.

Those who are not vaccinated are at risk.

I doubt BMT was vaccinated as a child in the UK because there was no measles vaccination program in those years long ago!  I also had measles, mumps, scarlet fever and whooping cough as a young child because there were no vacs at the time.  I recovered just fine (I think!)  My mum put my elder brothers into my bedroom when I had mumps to try to get them to catch it, but they didn't 🙂

Edited by simon43
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I doubt BMT was vaccinated as a child in the UK because there was no measles vaccination program in those years long ago!  I also had measles, mumps, scarlet fever and whooping cough as a young child because there were no vacs at the time.  I recovered just fine (I think!)  My mum put my elder brothers into my bedroom when I had mumps to try to get them to catch it, but they didn't 🙂

Yeah, it's amazing how a common childhood disease that almost everyone caught 60 years back is now reclassified as a life threatening disease ready to kill the entire world (even though the USA only had 60 cases).

Is it just me that thinks 60 cases isn't really worth talking about?

@simon43 did you miss Chicken Pox?

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, it's amazing how a common childhood disease that almost everyone caught 60 years back is now reclassified as a life threatening disease ready to kill the entire world (even though the USA only had 60 cases).

Is it just me that thinks 60 cases isn't really worth talking about?

Seems like your ignore the problem prescription would end up making the U.S. and U.K. more like the third and fourth world countries when it comes to measles.

"In high-income regions of the world, such as Western Europe, measles still causes death in about 1 in 5000 cases. But in the poorest regions, as many as 1 in 100 will die. Before widespread vaccination was introduced, the disease caused an estimated 2.6 million global deaths each year. And worldwide, measles is still a major cause of death. In 2016 about 90,000 people died of measles, although this was the first year on record when global measles deaths fell below 100,000 a year.

However, following these years of decline, when vaccination dramatically reduced the number of deaths, in 2022 measles cases rose by 18%, and deaths by 43%, compared with 2021. During this time, worldwide vaccination coverage also declined to its lowest level since 2008."

https://vaccineknowledge.ox.ac.uk/measles#Key-disease-facts

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Bad things happen when the measles vaccination rates falls below optimal levels:

Vaccination Rates Dipped for Years. Now, There’s a Measles Outbreak in Britain.

After a national incident was declared in January, officials have been scrambling to address problematically low levels of immunization.

"Cases of measles, a highly contagious but easily preventable disease, have begun to crop up in clusters as the number of children getting the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine has declined globally. The trend worsened after the coronavirus pandemic because of a lack of access and hesitancy among some groups. The measles virus can cause serious illness and, in the most extreme cases, death.

In Britain, 650 cases of measles were confirmed between Oct. 1 and the end of February, according to the U.K. Health Security Agency, which declared a national incident in January.

England no longer has the levels of vaccine coverage recommended by the World Health Organization, which advises that more than 95 percent of people must have had two doses of a measles vaccine that contains weakened amounts of the virus to prevent outbreaks."

https://archive.is/c4t8r#selection-833.0-833.259