Florida is swamped by disease outbreaks as quackery replaces science

Social Media

image.png

Florida finds itself grappling with a concerning resurgence of disease outbreaks, with measles spreading across the state amidst growing skepticism towards established medical science. At the center of this controversy is Joseph Ladapo, the state's surgeon general, whose unorthodox views on vaccination and public health interventions have raised significant concerns among medical experts.

Ladapo's appointment as surgeon general in 2022 was met with raised eyebrows due to his controversial stance on various medical issues, including his skepticism towards the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccines and his advocacy for unconventional treatments like the use of leeches in public health. Now, as measles cases surge in Florida, Ladapo's handling of the situation has come under intense scrutiny.

Despite the highly contagious nature of measles and the well-established benefits of vaccination in preventing its spread, Ladapo has been accused of downplaying the seriousness of the outbreak. His advice to parents, suggesting that unvaccinated children can continue attending school without quarantine measures, directly contradicts the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Critics argue that Ladapo's actions reflect a dangerous trend of prioritizing political agendas over public health concerns. They point to his previous statements undermining the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccines and promoting unfounded conspiracy theories as evidence of his disregard for established medical science.

The backlash against Ladapo's approach to the measles outbreak has prompted the Florida Department of Health to issue clarifications, attempting to deflect criticism by blaming the media for misreporting the situation. However, Ladapo himself has faced accusations of manipulating data in a study on Covid-19 vaccines, further eroding confidence in his judgment.

Many medical experts view Ladapo's actions as part of a broader assault on science by right-wing politicians, fueled by misinformation and conspiracy theories. They warn that such ideological opposition to proven medical interventions could have devastating consequences, leading to preventable deaths and exacerbating public health crises.

Democrats in Florida have condemned Ladapo's handling of the measles outbreak, questioning his suitability for a position of authority in public health. They argue that his refusal to adhere to accepted scientific guidelines undermines efforts to contain the spread of infectious diseases and poses a significant risk to public safety.

As Florida grapples with the resurgence of preventable diseases and the erosion of trust in medical expertise, the controversy surrounding Ladapo highlights the critical importance of evidence-based decision-making in safeguarding public health. Failure to address these concerns could have far-reaching implications for the health and well-being of communities across the state.

Source

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gargamon said:

And for the right wing morons that are trying to blame the “illegal immigrants“ (better called legal asylum seekers), the problem is not just in Florida. Canada, with few illegal immigrants, is having similar problems with measles in the unvaccinated idiots. 

That's a mighty bold claim to make with no link to any evidence.  I'm not saying you're wrong.  Just that, like the article in the OP, you have presented no evidence.  No link to any data.  But unlike the OP, I don't sense that you have a political agenda...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You would have to demonstrate that measles is being spread by unvaccinated illegals.

My understanding is that they have a higher vaccination rate than US citizens.

More to the point, you don't think that anti-vaccination propaganda is what's causing measles outbreaks?

More to the point, is it any worse in Florida than it is anywhere else in the USA?  Because, according to the OP, the guy in Florida is to blame.

Or is the OP just a political hack job, with absolutely no data behind it?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

From the CDC themselves:

Measles cases in 2024

As of February 29, 2024, a total of 41 measles cases were reported by 16 jurisdictions: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.

Measles cases in 2023

During January 1-December 31, 2023, a total of 58 measles cases were reported by 20 jurisdictions: California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

Or, you can believe the MSM, who seem bound and determined to undermine DeSantis.

OMG ... 41 ... :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

"swamped" with a total number of measles cases of 41!

The quackery is hiding in plain sight!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, 300sd said:

"swamped" with a total number of measles cases of 41!

The quackery is hiding in plain sight!

Sometimes people should pay attention to the canary in the coal mine and ignore the Cheeto at the podium.

Edited by Walker88
  • Agree 1

41 cases across multiple states, and in FL:

... "Florida has 10 confirmed cases of measles. Nine of the infected people are children who live in Broward County and the other is an adult age 20 to 24 who lives in Polk County in Central Florida. Seven of the children are students at Manatee Bay Elementary in Weston."

source

Oh yea ... Trumps fault again, what isn't his fault :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Yet, so many people are moving to Florida...  Escaping their blue crapholes.

Florida is the fastest growing state, Census data shows

Why do you figure?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/22/florida-population-growth-census-00075199

No idea. I lived in Florida when I was quite young. I would not move back there if they gave me a free house. It is not a terrible place. But, it offers very little in the way of culture, other than some Cuban art in Miami. 

Edited by spidermike007

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Millions throughout the USA.  I'm simply commenting on the temporal correlation between millions of unvetted illegal aliens and the prevalence of diseases that were once eradicated in the USA.  Which is a much better correlation than the hack that wrote the article quoted in the OP, for which he/she presented absolutely no evidence.

You're not "simply commenting", you're making stuff up.  Measle outbreaks returned to the US and the rest of the world in the late 20th century in areas with strong anti-vax sentiments.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6657116/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Purdey said:

In a given year, more measles cases can occur for any of the following reasons:

• an increase in the number of travelers who get measles abroad and bring it into the U.S., and/or

Gosh.  Call me cynical, but I think it's kinda suspicious that travelers can pick it up abroad and bring it back into the USA, but there's no mention that the millions of unvetted foreigners crossing the border can bring it in with them...  I guess it doesn't fit the gub'ment narrative.

Measles.png.f72a059499d538ea33c4f572e3e9942a.png

https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/measles/data/global-measles-outbreaks.html

Current US measles vaccination rates are around 92%, while worldwide vaccination rates are 74% for the 2 dose recommended course (83% for one dose).  Meaning that the millions of illegals coming in are typically from 2-3x as likely to be unvaccinated as locals.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles

Interesting that the worst recent US outbreaks (2018-19) were in Orthodox Jewish communities up north, which (I assume) had a religious objection to vaccination?  I guess Florida's responsible for that?

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/25/health/measles-outbreak-over-rockland-county-ny/index.html

Also interesting that the UK is in much worse shape than Florida.  I wonder who The Guardian blames for that?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/measles-outbreak-could-spread-warns-ukhsa-chief-executive

Measles 2.png