Hit and run got me, I'm all broken!

BritManToo

Sorry to hear that. Work on the rehab, but don't push too hard.

Important point you made about the full face helmet. It baffles me why anyone would get on a bike without one.

Looking forward to some indication of your next bonk, then we will know you are well on the road to recovery.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Be sure to take lots and lots of photos of your injuries, with and without bandages, until you are fully recovered. Get copies of xrays and MRI showing all breakages. Also take lots of photos of property damage. Be sure to go for physiotherapy after your wounds have healed.  Go to the best and most expensive hospitals for follow-up treatments. Keep all original receipts associated with recovery from the accident and a record of your time spent tending to recovery from injuries. Include even small amounts like transportation to hospital/home for re-dressing/cleaning wounds. This will help with insurance settlement. Do not settle with insurance until you are completely healed.

DO NOT sign any police reports or other documents unless you agree completely with their contents. Get official certified translations into English. Avoid relying on a Police or insurance company interpreter.

If the driver is uninsured or can't be found, there is an uninsured insurance government fund that you can submit a claim to, but it must be done within 30 days of the accident.

If the driver that hit you is found, be sure to quickly start a claim with his insurance companies. There maybe 2 companies, the government insurance and a private insurance company. Make sure the driver gets charged with all offenses (causing bodily harm, property damage, speeding, hit and run, etc.) and these are recorded in the police report.

If you choose to hire a lawyer to settle your claims, the legal fees will be recoverable by court order, but not fully recoverable, the court will reduce the fees and you'll be liable for the remainder.

Edited by Banana7
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Like others have said, I hope you can take it easy for a few months. I've had a few mates damaged in accidents who have quickly gotten back to their normal life-styles, only to suffer a heart attack or stroke from a blood clot that took time to work loose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Like others have said, I hope you can take it easy for a few months. I've had a few mates damaged in accidents who have quickly gotten back to their normal life-styles, only to suffer a heart attack or stroke from a blood clot that took time to work loose.

Them broken ribs take some healing, have a mate who broke 9, he's late 70's, I often pop round and tell him a joke, it hurts when he laughs!😉

53 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sorry to hear that. Work on the rehab, but don't push too hard.

Important point you made about the full face helmet. It baffles me why anyone would get on a bike without one.

Looking forward to some indication of your next bonk, then we will know you are well on the road to recovery.

So, no damage to the "bonker" we assume?  Inquiring minds and all?  🍆

Chalk up another on for wearing good helmets. Most here would not even rate

in Aus but "much much better than nothing" 

I have ridden big bikes, raced cars and go-karts, am a pilot, and won the event below, and never once did I/we consider being stupid enough not to wear a good helmet. However sadly,  in Phuket, half the riders are helmet-less..... 

IH

Edited by Datsun 1200

29 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

When something so simple, and easy as this happens, a guy minding his own business, stationary at lights, and Whallop ! It kind of makes you think again and assess some aspects of your life.

Hope you heal and recover well, with no lasting issues.

dont think I'll be needing my motorbike anymore.

I'm not sure of BritManToo's age, but I gave up on motorcycles a year and change back after I turned 70.  I don't have the reflexs or the situational 360 degree awareness that I had even back in my 60s when I rode quite often.  Driving here and staying alive?  You have to have situational awareness and eyes in the back of your head.

I stopped riding the motorcycles when even traveling a kilometer in the village would make the hair stand up on the back of my neck when I'd hear an approach vehicle.  Now I just walk or take the car.  I think it's just age. 
I got T-boned in an intersection by a pickup the first month I had the bike.  Not my fault other than I didn't yet have the defensive skills to anticipate the craziness of Thai roads.  I wasn't a new MC driver either as I had a 750cc "Big Bike" in the US.  But driving in the US doesn't equate to the defensive skills you need on Thai roads.  I walked away with literally a scratch on my leg and utter wonderment as to how I escaped injury.  Dropped the bike twice after that and rear-ended a truck when everyone in front of me locked up their brakes and came a ****-hair from getting read-ended myself, although when I heard the brakes behind me I bailed off the the bike.  (Then fitted it with high-quality, well treaded tires)
Learned a lot from those four instance, all at the ripe age of 56 in the first year I owned the MC.  From 56 to 70 nada.  I don't ever remember any close calls other than jerks pulling out in front of me which I had anticipated. 

But drive here long enough and eventually fate catches up for many.  At a certain age I'd just get back on the horse that bucked me off.  But then the realities of age set in and MC riding, at least to me, seem riskier that I'm willing to accept.  I accept that I don't have the reaction time and skills that I consider necessary to keep myself safe on a motorcycle.  So I gave it up.  Feel safer in a car although on these roads that's a false sense of security, but I'd rather have more metal around me than none at all.  Haven't sold it tho'.  Never know when I may need backup transportation in a pinch.

So BritManToo.  Any plans on getting back on a motorcycle when you heal up?  Too soon to say? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Datsun 1200 said:

I have ridden big bikes, raced cars and go-karts, am a pilot, and won the event below, and never once did I/we consider being stupid enough not to wear a good helmet. However sadly,  in Phuket, half the riders are helmet-less..... 

But they wear cloth masks to "stay safe!"  :laugh:

• Haha 2

On 10/24/2023 at 5:12 AM, Dmaxdan said:

the police (if they can be bothered) might have a chance of apprehending the cowardly little turd that did this.

If they don’t then perhaps Britman too might consider putting it on Facebook that he will be happy to negotiate settlement for the cost of repair to the car, and with some of these Thais being as stupid as they are he / she might just come forward to collect.

A non comital correctly worded STING to draw him / her out will be enough for BM too”s insurance company to deal with it further, and hope against hope the police may get off their fat a—-ses also

Good luck BM too and get well soon

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry to hear that, OP.

I believe some Thai bank debit cards offer accident insurance.

K-Bank definitely did before and it helped a friend out from a lot of insurance hassle around 10 years ago when he had a motorcycle accident. He was treated in a private hospital and it covered the ambulance and all treatment/meds up to 5,000 baht I think.

I should look into it as it's worth opening up an account and putting in 500 baht and paying for a 500 baht a year debit card or whatever. 

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

In case any riders are considering a new helmet after reading this thread, you might wish to think about a full-face helmet. Here are the stats on the percentage of strikes during an accident on various parts of the shell.

Could contain:

The crash statistics come from the Hurt Report and show that the most common area of impact on motorcycle helmets is the chin at 19.4% which spells “ouch” for open-face helmet wearers.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/crash-statistics-motorcycle-helmets/

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Be sure to take lots and lots of photos of your injuries, with and without bandages, until you are fully recovered. Get copies of xrays and MRI showing all breakages. Also take lots of photos of property damage. Be sure to go for physiotherapy after your wounds have healed.  Go to the best and most expensive hospitals for follow-up treatments. Keep all original receipts associated with recovery from the accident and a record of your time spent tending to recovery from injuries. Include even small amounts like transportation to hospital/home for re-dressing/cleaning wounds. This will help with insurance settlement. Do not settle with insurance until you are completely healed.

DO NOT sign any police reports or other documents unless you agree completely with their contents. Get official certified translations into English. Avoid relying on a Police or insurance company interpreter.

If the driver is uninsured or can't be found, there is an uninsured insurance government fund that you can submit a claim to, but it must be done within 30 days of the accident.

If the driver that hit you is found, be sure to quickly start a claim with his insurance companies. There maybe 2 companies, the government insurance and a private insurance company. Make sure the driver gets charged with all offenses (causing bodily harm, property damage, speeding, hit and run, etc.) and these are recorded in the police report.

If you choose to hire a lawyer to settle your claims, the legal fees will be recoverable by court order, but not fully recoverable, the court will reduce the fees and you'll be liable for the remainder.

I would get a lawyer on my side, police can't be trusted, luckily I know a good lawyer I trust who is on standby

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I'm sorry to hear that, OP.

I believe some Thai bank debit cards offer accident insurance.

K-Bank definitely did before and it helped a friend out from a lot of insurance hassle around 10 years ago when he had a motorcycle accident. He was treated in a private hospital and it covered the ambulance and all treatment/meds up to 5,000 baht I think.

I should look into it as it's worth opening up an account and putting in 500 baht and paying for a 500 baht a year debit card or whatever. 

Better to just get a decent PA insurance, usually need to start the policy under 65

On 10/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, BritManToo said:

Police were great, Ambulance was great, services as fast (if not faster) and efficient as anything I've ever encountered in the UK.

Many X-rays as they're watching for blood and fluids in my body cavities. Never seen a portable X-Ray machine before, latest gear at my bed in the ward.

Back in 2003 I was in the Sunshine hotel in Soi 8 I had just arrived in the evening and went for a shower. It was a shower over a bath and I slipped, fell on the bath side and broke 3 ribs. I didn't know that at the time, just thought badly bruised, and went to bed. Following morning I couldn't move without agony, phoned reception and within 15 minutes of making the call I was on the X ray table in Pattaya Memorial. Once admitted I had portable X ray at the bed every few hours, as you say very concerned about internal damage. Like you I only did 2 nights but being a private hospital that came to around 13K baht at the time. They wern't interested in insurance, they took my passport and I had to pay before being discharged, insurance paid up no problem.

You have my sympathies a very painful injury, slightest wrong movement or just a laugh can cause severe stabbing pains. Fortunately you have been able to tell the tale and hopefully a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1