UPDATE: Swiss man’s visa revoked

webfact

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

So you think the ambulance driver made it up and because he's in the spotlight the Swiss went along with it, apologised and gave him a gift for lying? Okay.

He has previously refused to apologise, was called into the Police station and made to apologise, so yes. This is the second apology, and a more public one.

I think the Swiss guy has had no choice but to make another public apology to the ambo driver, under pressure from the authorities. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Settling with the victim is a civil resolution but not necessarily a criminal resolution, ie., with the RTP. If a crime has been committed, the RTP must pursue an investigation to determine whether criminal prosecution is required.

Normally when a someone took the money it is mean that there is agreement to reconcile the conflict. Without a claim there is not a basis to continue a dispute.

56 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

Bangkokpost says business visa.

Link to Bangkok Post removed by Moderator.

Please read the forum rules linked below:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If that were the case, hundreds of thousands of Thais would be charged every day.

if the people that they cut up have video evidence and can be bothered to report them

Me normally I flash my lights and toot my horn at them in disgust of their careless or reckless driving 

It would be a different matter if they slammed on their brakes and I crashed into them as they removed the gap distance between me and the car in front by their careless or reckless driving

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks for the link. And it raises something interesting. It says he is 45 and he has a retirement visa. And yet, from the official Thai government website in Norway: Applicants applying for a Non-Immigrant O visa for retirement purposes must be at least 50 years of age.

Now isn't that interesting. Bad reporting or something else.......

Might be a good idea if retirement visa/extensions were upped to a minimum of age 60 to match the Thai retirement age. While it still would have allowed the other Swiss to get through, this one, if it's an accurate report about age and visa, would have been stopped. Same thing with the bikers last year. Seems a lot of them were in the low 50s too. Just match it to the Thai age of retirement and make things work more cleanly.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Again, I'm more interested in how he got a retirement visa/extension at age 45, according to that Bangkok Post story.

Business visa not retirement per here  https://www.thephuketnews.com/kicking-swiss-man-in-phuket-loses-visa-91515.php

Which makes far more sense . Not only is he too young for retirement he is operating a business in Thailand. (Or was....)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might be a good idea that to get a retirement visa you have to be retired. I mean, that's the way the real world works. In Thailand you don't need to be retired to have a retirement visa. Makes no sense. I think they need another category, or another title.

The only thing Thailand needs for retirement visa - is are you old enough to retire -- and you will not be working in Thailand (and you can support yourself without working).  Adding a lot more rules only ends up with more red-tape and often you get into exclusions that were not intended because they did not think of everything.  The age being 50 makes sense since if you are a police officer or military, you can retire at the age of 50 at full pension (assuming a certain length of service).   They could add other classifications, but that is up to Thailand to determine if they want to (hopefully after an investigation on whether it is beneficial to Thailand). 

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The only thing Thailand needs for retirement visa - is are you old enough to retire -- and you will not be working in Thailand (and you can support yourself without working).

This is incorrect. I was talking my local IO, questioning exactly this, and he told me that you are allowed to work with a retirement extension. The conversation happened when he was trying to persuade me to have a retirement instead of a marriage extension. Whether you work or not has absolutely no relevance as to whether you qualify for a retirement extension. All they care about is seeing 800,000 in the bank.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is incorrect. I was talking my local IO, questioning exactly this, and he told me that you are allowed to work with a retirement extension. The conversation happened when he was trying to persuade me to have a retirement instead of a marriage extension. Whether you work or not has absolutely no relevance as to whether you qualify for a retirement extension. All they care about is seeing 800,000 in the bank.

To be clear, for the retirement visa all they require is that you will not be working in Thailand... it does not prevent you from getting a work permit though which would allow you to work in Thailand, but the retirement visa does not...   People retire and work at the same time... in fact my father did... he retired from head of a public Technical College in one province - and was able to collect his pension and start working at another collect in another Province (colleges are provincial so outside of their domain).  Others start businesses after they retire.  BTW, every time I go to extend the retirement visa (or the 90 day report - but it is one of them) they give me another form that says - you are not allowed to work in Thailand etc.  to make sure you understand it - and you must sign it.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

in fact my father did... he retired from head of a public Technical College in one province - and was able to collect his pension and start working at another collect in another Province (colleges are provincial so outside of their domain).

But was your father on a retirement visa, and was he issued a work permit?

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I reckon the IO peep you spoke with was wrong.

Or maybe you are. I'd guess he knows the rules better than you. Unless you have a solid reason reason for believing you know the better. I'm open to your reasons for saying he's wrong.

There might be a different interpretation regarding not being allowed to work in Thailand but being allowed to work elsewhere.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

30 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

To be clear, for the retirement visa all they require is that you will not be working in Thailand... it does not prevent you from getting a work permit though which would allow you to work in Thailand, but the retirement visa does not...   People retire and work at the same time... in fact my father did... he retired from head of a public Technical College in one province - and was able to collect his pension and start working at another collect in another Province (colleges are provincial so outside of their domain).  Others start businesses after they retire.  BTW, every time I go to extend the retirement visa (or the 90 day report - but it is one of them) they give me another form that says - you are not allowed to work in Thailand etc.  to make sure you understand it - and you must sign it.

If you retire and still work somewhere else then you are not retired. You are working. I'd have thought that was obvious.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You are most definitely not allowed to work in Thailand on a retirement visa/extension. 

Work outside of Thsiland yes but in Thailand no.

Maybe that's what the IO meant, but didn't say.

34 minutes ago, BenStark said:

But was your father on a retirement visa, and was he issued a work permit?

No, the section you quoted was in response to working after retirement (not specific to Thailand).  There were two parts to it -- two different things... 

The first part of that that you did not quote talks about retirement visa not conferring onto you the right to work.  In fact I don't think any Thai visa does that.  A visa confers a right to reside in Thailand for the term of the visa... and a work permit confers onto you the right to work... you need both to work in Thailand.  I believe they are issued by different ministries.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or maybe you are. I'd guess he knows the rules better than you. Unless you have a solid reason reason for believing you know the better. I'm open to your reasons for saying he's wrong.

There might be a different interpretation regarding not being allowed to work in Thailand but being allowed to work elsewhere.

Yeah,.... nah.

your IO is wrong.

you should curtail your gullibility.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

No, the section you quoted was in response to working after retirement (not specific to Thailand).  There were two parts to it -- two different things... 

The first part of that that you did not quote talks about retirement visa not conferring onto you the right to work.  In fact I don't think any Thai visa does that.  A visa confers a right to reside in Thailand for the term of the visa... and a work permit confers onto you the right to work... you need both to work in Thailand.  I believe they are issued by different ministries.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but when you are on a retirement visa, or extension, in Thailand you can not get a work permit

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you retire and still work somewhere else then you are not retired. You are working. I'd have thought that was obvious.

I would disagree, you can (if not precluded by contract or law) be retired in one jurisdiction but work in another. (of course you would be ineligible to collect any pension nationally).    This is similar to the military as well, you retire at age 50 with a military pension but you can make money in other endeavours.  This is sort of similar to how it works when you get a retirement visa here, you could be working outside of the country part time, but for the purposes of the retirement visa you cannot work in Thailand.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Might be a good idea if retirement visa/extensions were upped to a minimum of age 60 to match the Thai retirement age. While it still would have allowed the other Swiss to get through, this one, if it's an accurate report about age and visa, would have been stopped. Same thing with the bikers last year. Seems a lot of them were in the low 50s too. Just match it to the Thai age of retirement and make things work more cleanly.

thank you that you actively want to separate me from my kids, after being divorced... early 50's and kids reached age 20....so no more guardian visa...

maybe you use an agent because you don't have the financial requirement, i would propose to kick out all the agent users with no money.... happy?

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but when you are on a retirement visa, or extension, in Thailand you can not get a work permit

Thanks for the correction, it does seem that Thailand excludes the ability to get a work permit on a retirement visa.  I had made the assumption there was not an exclusion from another post on IO saying you could work in Thailand on a retirement visa.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

To be clear, for the retirement visa all they require is that you will not be working in Thailand... it does not prevent you from getting a work permit though which would allow you to work in Thailand, but the retirement visa does not...   People retire and work at the same time... in fact my father did... he retired from head of a public Technical College in one province - and was able to collect his pension and start working at another 

There is nothing to stop you claiming your Pension & Working elsewhere (or even at the same place) but you cannot get a Work Permit on a Non-IMM O "Retirement" Visa so you would need to switch to a Non-IMM O "Marriage" Visa or get a Non-IMM B / one of the BOI Visas (a couple of the LTR Visas allow you to work).

I would suggest your father either had a Work Permit or a Non-IMM O "Retirement" Visa but not both.

Irrelevant to this thread anyway as the Swiss guy was on a Business Visa despite what was printed in a couple of the papers, there would have been an absolute <deleted> storm if he'd been found to have a Retirement Visa at age 45.