UPDATE: Swiss man’s visa revoked

webfact

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I would disagree, you can (if not precluded by contract or law) be retired in one jurisdiction but work in another. (of course you would be ineligible to collect any pension nationally).    This is similar to the military as well, you retire at age 50 with a military pension but you can make money in other endeavours.  This is sort of similar to how it works when you get a retirement visa here, you could be working outside of the country part time, but for the purposes of the retirement visa you cannot work in Thailand.

If you are working anywhere doing anything then you are working. You are not retired. You appear to have a different definition. That's okay.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah,.... nah.

your IO is wrong.

you should curtail your gullibility.

Who do you suggest I ask about retirement extensions if not the IO who issues it? So that I wouldn't be gullible when told something by a government official who tells me what the rules are?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is incorrect. I was talking my local IO, questioning exactly this, and he told me that you are allowed to work with a retirement extension. The conversation happened when he was trying to persuade me to have a retirement instead of a marriage extension. Whether you work or not has absolutely no relevance as to whether you qualify for a retirement extension. All they care about is seeing 800,000 in the bank.

You are wrong. The basic condition of the retirement visa is that you must not work. The visa will be revoked if you do.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, RobU said:

You are wrong. The basic condition of the retirement visa is that you must not work. The visa will be revoked if you do.

Nice to know that AN members know more than IOs, isn't it. Nice to know we can rely on IOs for accurate information, isn't it. Not. I guess he lied to try to get me to change from my marriage extension.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nice to know that AN members know more than IOs, isn't it. Nice to know we can rely on IOs for accurate information, isn't it. Not. I guess he lied to try to get me to change from my marriage extension.

I think you are on to something there. Possibly because you must keep twice as much capital in a Thai bank with a retirement visa. My Conspiracy theory is that his superiors have told all staff to try to get farangs to convert to retirement so more money is brought into the country😂

Edited by RobU

9 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That is not the way it is in this new world.... he might have started being Scottish... but now he might 'identify as' Thai 🤣

You may well have a very good point there; because he has been known previously to identify as a rabbit 🐇

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed. I am Thai but doctors/nurses want to speak English to me, just because I am white. They always use 'mister' when calling out my name, despite knowing I am Thai. 

Can you imagine in the US if they called out Latin-looking people with the honorific 'senor'! 

The staff would be lucky to get a suspended termination warning from the Hospital based on several months of sensitivity training!

Now however when I go pick up a burrito or sandwich from the deli near here in the US the counterman call me Senor and even ask "para llevar"?

Then when I answer in my broken Spanglish they go back to English

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The amount of money held by foreigners in Thai banks isn't even a piss in the ocean in the economy. It's because there is far less work for them to do before issuing a retirement visa. But whose fault is that? They make the rules and and have to check all the paperwork needed, same stuff year after year after year until you die. Then they don't like doing the work they themselves invent.

Understood, thanks Barry

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:26 AM, Georgealbert said:

He has shown that is a complete richardhead, but he also has money.

Someone should investigate where he got his money from i.e. is it ill-gotten? When very nasty people get rich it is often a result of something other than hard work. 

• Like 2

I couldn't hold back giggling as I saw the photo.

He is looking like a 1952 Volkswagen Beetle with parking lights on, absolut harmless and could not even hurt a fly in my opinion.

Good bye Mr David, 

may I give you a hint? RESPECT has to be earned in Thailand. 

I did it with many wais, always a "krup" ending the sentence, a "krapom" instead of a yes, joining all Village festivals especially when my neighbors ask to come with them, taking selflessly my nephew into the house after he had a brain stroke and the family was desperate how to handle this situation, care for him whith whatever I can bring up, shared my farm with my workers instead of paying salary, be part of them in all matters and smile away any bad situation.. 

(Just a few examples of many in 22 years)

What did the Thai people therefore for me?

They gave me a real family life and lots of happiness, which no money in the world could buy.. 

Uh, Mr David, I forgot that probably the only Thai you have around you is your wife and obviously you educated (or spoiled) her well.

Lucky for her: She can't get deported and also Swizerland has Western Union...

Was that worth it to be a selfish and ignorant bada**? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, john donson said:

thank you that you actively want to separate me from my kids, after being divorced... early 50's and kids reached age 20....so no more guardian visa...

maybe you use an agent because you don't have the financial requirement, i would propose to kick out all the agent users with no money.... happy?

You're correct to take that attitude. I was wrong not to add that I think everyone should be able to continue on their existing visa/extension without changes being made to it. That should go for any immigration changes. It would be unfair to alter the requirements for people who have taken out visas in good faith that they meet all requirements--and that goes for additional extensions, too. Still, I think the change from 50 to 60 years old to match Thai retirement is a good idea. Why? Because I guess except for retired military relatively few people get sizable enough retirement money from things like SSA in the US, which doesn't kick until age 62 at the earliest. I don't know the retirement age for UKers and Australians, but if it's similar, that means they too would be among the people in Thailand on retirement visas needing to violate work restrictions in order simply to live here. Remember also that people under 60 have an advantage in that they can more easily find legitimate work and work permits. 

Edited by John Drake

18 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He cut in front of the ambulance and gave the driver the finger. He did not block it and the ambulance was not on an urgent mission with no sirens.

We have only heard the ambulance driver's side of the story. 

Case Closed Ambulance driver fined B1,000 for insulting Swiss guy fined B,1000 for insulting and B,4000 for reckless driving

https://www.khaophuket.com/จับปรับเดวิดคนดัง-มอบช่อดอกไม้ขอโทษคนขับรถพยาบาล-ตัดหน้าให้นิ้วกลางด่าทอบนถ-10883.php

6 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

He is looking like a 1952 Volkswagen Beetle with parking lights on, absolut harmless and could not even hurt a fly in my opinion.

Good bye Mr David, 

I did it with many wais, always a "krup" ending the sentence, a "krapom" instead of a yes, joining all Village festivals especially when my neighbors ask to come with them, taking selflessly my nephew into the house after he had a brain stroke and the family was desperate how to handle this situation, care for him whith whatever I can bring up, shared my farm with my workers instead of paying salary, be part of them in all matters and smile away any bad situation.. 

They gave me a real family life and lots of happiness, which no money in the world could buy.. 

Uh, Mr David, I forgot that probably the only Thai you have around you is your wife and obviously you educated (or spoiled) her well.

RESPECT has to be earned anywhere and why do you think it is unique to Thailand?

I've seen plenty of ill-mannered Thais just as much as ill-mannered foreigners.

I really can't be bothered when some posters try to put Thais on a pedestal just for behaving like civilised human beings. They have plenty have faults, plenty, just like the rest of the world.

Khrap and Krapom are just expressions, as is the Wai, they mean nothing and are empty unless you go about your daily life being kind and considerate, not just using words or behaviour in the short term when there are others around.

6 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

Good bye Mr David, 

You seem to be gloating and getting off on other people's misfortune and stupidity.

This has developed from being a matter for the courts and to be dealt with sensibly and through the courts into a witchhunt judged, tried, found guilty and executed by the Press and media.

Far bigger crimes going unpunished in this country.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% Agree....        Its difficult to have a discussion making a point from this perspective without some binary thinker dichotomising the situation into one whereby if we don't want the swiss man hung, we must be supporting him...  which of course isn't true.

BUT... what I see here is the juvenile nature in-which this issue was turned into a witch-hunt....  The issue now of course is that social media has registered such a high-click-density that it has its recipe to generate further Ad-revenue....  

.... Thus we end up with a media-led fervour which influences the official response....

Imagine a Thai woman in a BMW dangerously cuts me up and causes an accident in which her arm is broken, I get out and shout at her for causing the accident and this is caught on social media....   there are numerous stories covering the incident which concentrate on what a bad foreigner I am for shouting at her, and swearing !!!.....    Social media asks for heads !!!.....    Authorities investigate and find out that I had a 2 day over-stay 15 years ago and I should be deported and black-listed..... 

Of course, unlikely - but we can see how social media and the media have influenced the decision of authorities to investigate more and find deeper issues....    So, is this now the status quo ?....   have a problem with a local and all of our dealings, visa, business etc is dug up and investigated... just incase the can find something to use against us... ???

Is this going to empower locals to behave with an air of superiority with foreigners ???

OR... (as I reality believe) - is nothing going to change and this really is not going to impact any of us anyway ?... 

I've never come around to the idea that foreigner is always at fault, I consider I've always been treated fairly and expect that I'll continue to do so....   

This weeks examples have just been a couple of scummy foreigners behaving poorly and thankfully Thai's are smarter than this and deal with us individually based on our individual merits. 

I think you are right actually.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% Agree....        Its difficult to have a discussion making a point from this perspective without some binary thinker dichotomising the situation into one whereby if we don't want the swiss man hung, we must be supporting him...  which of course isn't true.

BUT... what I see here is the juvenile nature in-which this issue was turned into a witch-hunt....  The issue now of course is that social media has registered such a high-click-density that it has its recipe to generate further Ad-revenue....  

.... Thus we end up with a media-led fervour which influences the official response....

Imagine a Thai woman in a BMW dangerously cuts me up and causes an accident in which her arm is broken, I get out and shout at her for causing the accident and this is caught on social media....   there are numerous stories covering the incident which concentrate on what a bad foreigner I am for shouting at her, and swearing !!!.....    Social media asks for heads !!!.....    Authorities investigate and find out that I had a 2 day over-stay 15 years ago and I should be deported and black-listed..... 

Of course, unlikely - but we can see how social media and the media have influenced the decision of authorities to investigate more and find deeper issues....    So, is this now the status quo ?....   have a problem with a local and all of our dealings, visa, business etc is dug up and investigated... just incase the can find something to use against us... ???

Is this going to empower locals to behave with an air of superiority with foreigners ???

OR... (as I reality believe) - is nothing going to change and this really is not going to impact any of us anyway ?... 

I've never come around to the idea that foreigner is always at fault, I consider I've always been treated fairly and expect that I'll continue to do so....   

This weeks examples have just been a couple of scummy foreigners behaving poorly and thankfully Thai's are smarter than this and deal with us individually based on our individual merits. 

Good post except for the over the top 'what if'.

Don,t know why he even thought about doing something like that here very stupid and silly.Look at the ladyboy fight in bkk Thais verus phillipines.He may get deported because of it like the other swiss man from the mall.those visas are now being looked at,is that what they want to happen and the phillipines ladyboys will be checked too

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

I don't know the retirement age for UKers and Australians, but if it's similar, that means they too would be among the people in Thailand on retirement visas needing to violate work restrictions in order simply to live here

Currently, UK State pension age is 67 (& wouldn’t give you enough money to meet the 65K monthly income method) & private pensions can be taken from 55. but you’re completely wrong to suggest that people have to work unless they have these as there are lots of 50-60 guys who have passive income from investments/Rent that more than cover the minimum 65K income and/or more than enough savings to cover the 800K in the bank. 

If they wanted to ensure people don’t need to work to live here then they would be better off enforcing the financial limits needed for the Non-IMM O “Retirement” Visa, but be careful what you wish for as any of us could find ourselves needing to use the “Loophole” through no fault of our own.

I say “Live & Let Live”,  leave the Visa Rules alone as you never know if while changing one thing they make a change to something else that impacts you..:  E.G. a lot of people would be screwed if they made Health Insurance mandatory for Non-IMM O holders, would you? I wouldn’t but I wouldn’t want them to do this as at the same time they could lift the age limit & I would be screwed! 

Totally agree that existing Visa holders should be grandfathered, unfortunately this isn’t what happened when they made Health Insurance mandatory for the Non-IMM OA holders. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I use English if the Thai looks like they genuinely want to learn English.

As a Thai citizen, you don't need a work permit.

I do.

I don't entertain requests to teach English to a Thai, especially a stranger (almost never happens anyway) for a couple of reasons:

1) English teaching is menial and boring, I don't enjoy it at all and since I'm an engineer not a teacher I can readily admit I suck at teaching.

2) I don't want to be accused of working without a work permit.

3) I have a family to look after. I don't have time to help people who aren't family members or friends/acquaintances. If I want to do charity, I'll donate to the right cause. As in number 2) I can't volunteer either without a work permit. 

• Thumbs Up 2