connecting batteries in series and attaching a power supply

Pouatchee

i usually am pretty handy, but when it comes to electricity and electronics i am totally lost. 

here goes:

i connected 3 9 volt batteries in parallel. i tested with a voltmeter and i get 27 volts, now my batteries are at 24 v. now, considering batteries lose their charge, i connected a 27 volt power supply + to + and - to - to my batteries. [i am not trying to recharge the batteries. i am just trying to maintain  the v. ] i checked with a voltmeter and the 2 combined produce v combined. where did the xtra 3 volts go?

here is what i am trying to do. i am trying to make colloidal silver so i have two poles [+/-] connected to silver plates dipped in water. i have been using the 3 batteries in parallel for a while now but it is getting expensive in batteries.

on monday i bought a 24 v power supply and jacked the power up to 27 v by turning the settings screw. when i connect the +/- of the power supply to the silver plates it does not work at all. 27 v of batteries does, but not a power supply. damn... i am going bald scratching my head. the power supply is about 3 amps but the batteries are in milliamps. what am i doing wrong?

can it have anything to do with ac/dc?

forgot to add... i want to use the power supply... no batteries. as a back up plan i ordered rechargeable 9v batteries... but i really want to use only the power supply.

20240307_090657.jpg

20240307_090616.jpg

20240307_090559.jpg

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i usually am pretty handy, but when it comes to electricity and electronics i am totally lost. 

here goes:

i connected 3 9 volt batteries in parallel. i tested with a voltmeter and i get 27 volts, now my batteries are at 24 v. now, considering batteries lose their charge, i connected a 27 volt power supply + to + and - to - to my batteries. [i am not trying to recharge the batteries. i am just trying to maintain  the v. ] i checked with a voltmeter and the 2 combined produce v combined. where did the xtra 3 volts go?

here is what i am trying to do. i am trying to make colloidal silver so i have two poles [+/-] connected to silver plates dipped in water. i have been using the 3 batteries in parallel for a while now but it is getting expensive in batteries.

on monday i bought a 24 v power supply and jacked the power up to 27 v by turning the settings screw. when i connect the +/- of the power supply to the silver plates it does not work at all. 27 v of batteries does, but not a power supply. damn... i am going bald scratching my head. the power supply is about 3 amps but the batteries are in milliamps. what am i doing wrong?

considering the price of batteries  

"when it comes to electricity and electronics i am totally lost"

I  believe you are correct in your self assessment.

You have not connected your batteries in parallel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You have connected the batteries in series, not parallel, not that it matters, just FYI.

What is the current when the batteries are connected? Could be there is not enough ampage in the power supply.

• Agree 1

Just now, Marcous said:

You have connected the batteries in series, not parallel, not that it matters, just FYI.

What is the current when the batteries are connected? Could be there is not enough ampage in the power supply.

the power supply is 3amps. right now the batteries have drained to 23.4. seems the power supply is doing nothing. BTW after enoon's comment i googled the proper terminology and changed the title... i hate unknown waters

45 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

While you actually connected them in series rather than parallel, that isn’t a problem other than explaining your actual meaning. Also making colloidal silver is a rather interesting idea that many disagree with. 

However your power supply is far less than is needed to power the reaction. The voltage maybe high enough but the current at 3A (and that is a maximum probably 1.5A constant) isn’t enough. To discover how much current is being used you need an ammeter on the full power batteries. 

It is possible that if you leave the supply connected for days you may get the result you expect in minutes. 😉

Edited by sometimewoodworker

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However your power supply is far less than is needed to power the reaction. The voltage maybe high enough but the current at 3A (and that is a maximum probably 1.5A constant) isn’t enough.

I am getting 2.89 amps from the batteries and 3.45 from the poer supply.

12 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

check if you are  getting 24 volts from the power supply when connected to your silver plates

Hmm getting 0.7v

At the source 27.6

31 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Also making colloidal silver is a rather interesting idea that many disagree with. 

Out of curiosity, why would anyone diagree with this?

🤔

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

i checked with a voltmeter and the 2 combined produce v combined. where did the xtra 3 volts go?

Probably converted to heat since, as @sometimewoodworker has correctly pointed out, you need sufficient current, not just extra volts. The batteries are acting as a power sink for the incorrectly sized power supply.

8 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

I am getting 2.89 amps from the batteries and 3.45 from the poer supply.

Hmm getting 0.7v

At the source 27.6

At the source 27.6 do you mean with no load - not connected to plates

dropping to 0.7 volts on load means your power supply is not powerful enough.

Why  don't you use 2x 12 volt lead acid batteries.

1 minute ago, Tim16 said:

At the source 27.6 do you mean with no load - not connected to plates

dropping to 0.7 volts on load means your power supply is not powerful enough.

Why  don't you use 2x 12 volt lead acid batteries.

On the terminals of the power supply i check to make sure and i get 27v, then i checked on the plates and i get .7

What i dont understand is the batteries total amp is 2.4 and the power supply is 3.4

As i said i am using 3x9v batteries in series.

I can try the 2x12 v in series when i have time... i have ups rechargeable batteries. They should do the trick

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

when it comes to electricity and electronics i am totally lost

Good that you know yourself.

With that knowledge you should accept the consequences and don't play with electricity. It can be dangerous.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that you know yourself.

With that knowledge you should accept the consequences and don't play with electricity. It can be dangerous.

Dude... if you cant participate best you abstain

Driving a tricicle can be dangerous yet i am sure you still do it or has mama let you upgrade to a 2 wheeler

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Sad 1

Measure the resistance between the 2 plates with a multimeter.

You should then be able to work out the current draw at 24V  (V=IR so I=V/R)

Possible higher current draw is pulling down the voltage of the power supply, probably has a current limiter installed in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Dude... if you cant participate best you abstain

Driving a tricicle can be dangerous yet i am sure you still do it or has mama let you upgrade to a 2 wheeler

I know enough about electric to know what I am doing.

You don't even know the difference between parallel and serial connections.

Not that everybody has to know the difference. But if you don't know that, and you still want to play around with electric, that is dangerous.

The idea to connect such a power supply to these batteries is just bad. 

Next you will probably ask if it makes a difference if you connect mains to the input or output terminals on that power supply.

Summary: Don't do it!

50 minutes ago, scotty1286 said:

Measure the resistance between the 2 plates with a multimeter.

You should then be able to work out the current draw at 24V  (V=IR so I=V/R)

Possible higher current draw is pulling down the voltage of the power supply, probably has a current limiter installed in it.

According to the picture that power supply outputs maximum 24V, 3A, 24*3=72W

Do you think 72W should be enough to trickle charge a couple of 9V batteries? Bad idea! 

@Crossy I think this is another topic which you might want to close. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crossy said:

OK people, let's try to place nicely shall we.

@Pouatchee measure your power supply voltage with nothing connected.

Then connect it to your electrolysis cell (put the batteries in the bin) and measure again.

If the voltage has collapsed to zero then the current being drawn is too great and the power supply is protecting itself.

Time for a bigger supply or a more dilute solution in the jar.

Doesn't colloidal silver make your skin turn blue? Auditioning for a bit part in the next Avatar movie perhaps?

thanks crossy. this is the kind of answer i can work with. i have all the tools and with a bit of coaching i can get it done. 

yes, it does turn the skin blue if you use it on yourself. i have another use for it that has nothing to do with self medication... but thanks for the concern

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Out of curiosity, why would anyone diagree with this?

🤔

From WEBMD

Colloidal silver is a mineral. Colloidal silver products were once available as OTC drug products, but in 1999 the FDA ruled that they aren't safe.

Colloidal silver can kill certain germs by destroying proteins, which is why it was previously used in wound dressings. But silver has no known function in the body and is not an essential mineral. Taking silver by mouth can cause the skin to turn a permanent bluish color. It can also cause brain function problems.

Colloidal silver has been used for infections, hay fever, skin conditions, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support any of its uses. There is also no good evidence to support using colloidal silver for COVID-19. It can be unsafe when taken by mouth, applied to the skin, or inhaled. 

That is the broad overview 

However what you want to do with a product that has been generally determined it be at best of questionable use and for some uses positively detrimental is not my business, you may have some innocuous use.

As has been pointed out, the power supply is the wrong tool for your job, it has circuitry that stops it delivering the amount of power that your setup can draw.

If you go with the 2 car batteries be sure that you can break the circuit before the jar overheats. You are likely to find that the power draw is dramatically greater than you have seen before and that you were limited by the batteries sustained power draw.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As has been pointed out, the power supply is the wrong tool for your job, it has circuitry that stops it delivering the amount of power that your setup can draw.

If you go with the 2 car batteries be sure that you can break the circuit before the jar overheats. You are likely to find that the power draw is dramatically greater than you have seen before and that you were limited by the batteries sustained power draw.

the power supply is the wrong tool for your job

--> when i  did a search the actually sold powers supplies to do the job, so i figured it should work. BTW this is not my first time making batches

If you go with the 2 car batteries

i was thinking of going with 2x12v batteries same as used in ups. Just putting them in series...

as for the use, no I do not plan on using it on myself nor anyone in my family. I do not want to look like papa smurf                 

image.jpeg.874bc97e3879a70391b65b8cccb64565.jpeg

I do have an 'innocuous use' that will not harm anyone physically. Many months ago when i started making it i actually did research it and found this guy on top... some people drink a bit every day. I would not dare do that to myself... I dont use snake oil. BTW thanks for the educated response. It is the guys like you, crossy, tim16 and nanleaw who answer honestly who make my time on AN enjoyable... no sycophantism here... 555

I just finished a batch in the mason jar the way it was set up... it worked and for some reason it looks like the best batch i made so far.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

According to the picture that power supply outputs maximum 24V, 3A, 24*3=72W

Do you think 72W should be enough to trickle charge a couple of 9V batteries? Bad idea! 

@Crossy I think this is another topic which you might want to close. 

The power supply is connected to the load and the batteries, it will attempt to draw a current proportional to the total circuit resistance

29 minutes ago, scotty1286 said:

The power supply is connected to the load and the batteries, it will attempt to draw a current proportional to the total circuit resistance

I tried only power supply... dif not work by itself