12 hours ago, steven100 said:

thanks, so it's a percentage of the amount obviously ....   so I was charged 3%  in Australia + the 220 baht here ...

That's expensive yeah ' 

But different banks (in OZ / anywhere) have different policies on these charges. They're not standard across all banks.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Why does the fraudulent transaction have to be in the same city? About 18 months ago I bought something via Lazada using my debit card. 27000B was taken from my account the same day by Deliveroo in the UK, 6000 miles away. I did get my money returned by the Thai bank but it took a while.

wow  '    that's quite alot of cash taken .....  after using Lazada,  and that's why I'm not keen to add my card to top up Lazada wallet, I just don't trust them or Thailand period   !      too many scammers out there. 

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I don't know about Australia but in the UK credit cards come under the Consumer Protection Act and a chargeback can be applied but debit cards are different.

Being effectively a cash transaction different rules are in place and you are out on your own a lot more.

Call the bank. You never know.

55 minutes ago, bg53 said:

First, call your bank hotline and tell your story. Request a chargeback.

Second, ask your bank for a replacement card.

Done and done.

The one time I used my Australian debit card at a  Big C checkout,my account was immediately hit with 2 debits from Walmart.

Only a couple of bucks each,bank reversed charges, all good

1 minute ago, norbra said:

The one time I used my Australian debit card at a  Big C checkout,my account was immediately hit with 2 debits from Walmart.

Only a couple of bucks each,bank reversed charges, all good

I don't use my Australian debit cards in Thailand, they are for emergency use only. I use a Thai bank debit card instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't use my Australian debit cards in Thailand, they are for emergency use only. I use a Thai bank debit card instead.

I used the Australian card to keep it from expiring due to lack of transactions.

Unfortunately I forgot about this so I no longer have an active Australian card due to lack of useage.

To start again must provide AU postal address.

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why do you want a refund, are you no longer going? 

Another good reason to use a credit card for bookings.

I want a refund because I will have no service for the money, and the company has given me a heap of aggravation with their lax security.

I regard credit cards as instruments of the devil. With a debit card, I can't spend more than I have.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It doesn't, but on balance of probabilities I would say the fraudulent Uber Eats orders will eventually be narrowed down to the Melbourne area.

I've never had a problem with Lazada orders.

What type of person did you speak to on the phone?

• Confused 1

My suggestions:

If the manager is not also the owner, don't waste any more time dealing with him/ her. Find out who the owner is and deal directly with him/ her: If it's a bigger company go straight to HQ.

If you don't get any joy dealing with the owner/ company, write to the Australian Consumers Association (UK equivalent is 'Which') detailing your experience. They might be interested in highlighting your issue.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

slightly OT ... when getting ATM cash using your foreign debit card do you pay a conversion fee ?  reason I ask is I made a 10k baht withdrawal, and was charged the usual 220 baht here, but also $13 conversion fee by my bank ( or building society actually )  so the 10k cost 520 baht ....

Crooks!

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

He has $100 of my money, and a choice.

It will cost him nothing to return my money.

OTOH, I can cost him a lot of time and money, and I have plenty of time. I'm retired, he is not.

What's OTOH??

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As soon as a mechanic strips down the engine, the company will know what caused the engine failure, and who did it.

Stupid post.

Although I agree mostly with your posts, not this time, if anyone gives me bad service or tries to screw me over in any way, the first thing I do is look for some form of revenge.

44 minutes ago, Dolf said:

What type of person did you speak to on the phone?

From his tone, a sleazebag. The type that likes talking over someone else.

14 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Although I agree mostly with your posts, not this time, if anyone gives me bad service or tries to screw me over in any way, the first thing I do is look for some form of revenge.

I don't disagree with proving to someone they made a bad choice in stiffing me. I prefer to do it legally.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't disagree with proving to someone they made a bad choice in stiffing me. I prefer to do it legally.

Well maybe the sleazebag gave his friend your card details

39 minutes ago, RayC said:

My suggestions:

If the manager is not also the owner, don't waste any more time dealing with him/ her. Find out who the owner is and deal directly with him/ her: If it's a bigger company go straight to HQ.

If you don't get any joy dealing with the owner/ company, write to the Australian Consumers Association (UK equivalent is 'Which') detailing your experience. They might be interested in highlighting your issue.

Victoria has the Small Claims Tribunal, and VCAT.

They will be my next port of call if a back charge doesn't work. Another option is the fraud department of the police.

If this guy is as shonky as I think he is, he probably has previous form.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I understand that and each to his own, I have always lived by screw or cheat me and there will be consequences. If you are done wrong then report it to the authorities, if they don't sort it then you do it yourself.

I have lived that way all my life and do not have any criminal record.

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I understand that and each to his own, I have always lived by screw or cheat me and there will be consequences. If you are done wrong then report it to the authorities, if they don't sort it then you do it yourself.

I have lived that way all my life and do not have any criminal record.

They'll pay me or the doctor one...

• Confused 1

I don't know if they have it in other countries, but some banks in the US will give you a one-time virtual card, or a card that can only be used with one location. The virtual card number is linked to your physical card. The "one-time" card is useful for once-in-a-while purchases. I have a different card number to pay True and another to pay the electric bill. The bank knows where to look for the problem if the card number gets snatched. EDIT I just wanted to add that each virtual card has a different number, security code, and expiration date.

Edited by bunnydrops
edit
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I want a refund because I will have no service for the money, and the company has given me a heap of aggravation with their lax security.

I regard credit cards as instruments of the devil. With a debit card, I can't spend more than I have.

The issue I see is that you entered into an agreement and then terminated that agreement.

Normally in such contracts/agreements contain penalty clauses exist within certain limitations.

The deposit usually is only withheld and released after the rental agreement has been concluded.

Depending upon the agreement and termination it is possible that the company is waiting to deduct any termination penalties before releasing the deposit.

It all depends upon what you agreed to.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

The issue I see is that you entered into an agreement and then terminated that agreement.

Normally in such contracts/agreements contain penalty clauses exist within certain limitations.

The deposit usually is only withheld and released after the rental agreement has been concluded.

Depending upon the agreement and termination it is possible that the company is waiting to deduct any termination penalties before releasing the deposit.

It all depends upon what you agreed to.

One would think...

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Could be an inside job. 

Has he any untrustworthy staff? 

I doubt very much he would admit to having a bad apple, if he did. It would just be supporting my case.

From his tone in both conversation and emails, my guess is he is used to bulldozing over people.

• Haha 1