On 3/7/2024 at 9:01 PM, steven100 said:

slightly OT ... when getting ATM cash using your foreign debit card do you pay a conversion fee ?  reason I ask is I made a 10k baht withdrawal, and was charged the usual 220 baht here, but also $13 conversion fee by my bank ( or building society actually )  so the 10k cost 520 baht ....

Yes.. well known UK bank. The 220 baht fee by all Thai banks operating ATMs is bad enough but is fixed no matter the amount, at the UK end with this bank it's then at least doubled by their % according to amount charges and not so great conversion rate. Wise offer a " multi currency" debit card with better conversion rates and significantly lower % of amount  fee. If you have a Thai bank account and debit card  best to use that here in ATMs although there is always an ATM fee. With my Thai bank debit card it's 10, 20 or 30 baht, supposedly depending on whether it's my bank's  ATM plus in or inter region. Sometimes though I'm randomly charged only 20 baht when usually it's 30 baht. I've heard that this applies on certain days, which I haven't troubled to note.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it doesn't.   All you have to do to get a quote and vehicle choice is to indicate your pick up point and the rental dates.  Teslas and 5 Series are available if they would meet your high standards.

I took you off ignore to see what you were saying. A series of troll posts from someone who is unusually determined to provoke, back you go.

So you saw that I was giving you a tip on how to get the rental quotes that you were looking for and you see that as provocation of something?  Unusually odd.   

"...back you go".

You do know that putting members on your ignore list has no effect, whatsoever, on anyone but you, yes, and that a pointless announcement of "Back you go" as though you're a school master admonishing a child actually isn't, in reality, an instruction or punishment?  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As soon as a mechanic strips down the engine, the company will know what caused the engine failure, and who did it.

Stupid post.

I'm not the one whining about losing $100 Very Stupid of you.

As for the engine, anyone could put anything in a fuel tank. 

It's not protected like a bank vault

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

I'm not the one whining about losing $100 Very Stupid of you.

As for the engine, anyone could put anything in a fuel tank. 

It's not protected like a bank vault

I have not lost $100 yet. I have evidence from Google reviews of the business their cybersecurity is non-existent.

True, anyone could put anything in a fuel tank. Rental businesses keep records of who rented their cars, perhaps that point escapes your notice.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?   Just an old urban myth, sugar isn't soluble in petrol.

Sugar is soluble in ethanol, 0.9 gm/ 100 mL. Ethanol is present in most petrol brands. It is also highly soluble in the trace amounts of water present in straight hydrocarbon fuels. 200 gm/100 mL.

Science is obviously not a strong point of yours.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why?   Just an old urban myth, sugar isn't soluble in petrol.

Sugar is soluble in ethanol, 0.9 gm/ 100 mL. Ethanol is present in most petrol brands. It is also highly soluble in the trace amounts of water present in straight hydrocarbon fuels. 200 gm/100 mL.

Edited 1 minute ago by Lacessit

"Science is obviously not a strong point of yours".

Nor yours.  Sugar is not soluble in petrol and, even if it was, fuel tanks have sock filters in addition to inline fuel filters. 

Sugar in petrol tanks causing engine destruction is an urban myth, you don't think that filler hoses go directly, vertically into fuel tanks allowing sugar to get into the tank, do you?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

"Science is obviously not a strong point of yours".

Nor yours.  Sugar is not soluble in petrol and, even if it was, fuel tanks have sock filters in addition to inline fuel filters. 

Sugar in petrol tanks causing engine destruction is an urban myth, you don't think that filler hoses go directly, vertically into fuel tanks allowing sugar to get into the tank, do you?

Sugar sitting in a sock or fuel filter will be dissolved gradually by the petrol washing through, irrespective of its composition.

You obviously don't want to recognize facts.

If you think it's an urban myth, why don't you put some in your own car?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Sugar sitting in a sock or fuel filter will be dissolved gradually by the petrol washing through,

Sugar does not dissolve in petrol, if it got to the tank it would sit at the bottom, not dissolving, it would not be "washing through" anything.

Posted (edited)

Sugar does not dissolve in petrol, if it got to the tank it would sit at the bottom, not dissolving, it would not be "washing through" anything.

Do you have any scientific proof of that statement, apart from your own assertion?

I have already posted the solubilities of sugar in ethanol and water. Both are found in petrol. That data says you are wrong, your statements say you are too stubborn to admit it.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Do you have any scientific proof of that statement, apart from your own assertion?

I have already posted the solubilities of sugar in ethanol and water. Both are found in petrol. That data says you are wrong, your statements say you are too stubborn to admit it.

More data to demonstrate how misguided LL's assertion is. Thank you Gemini.

"Gasohol is made from the 95% azeotrope of ethanol and water, not absolute alcohol.

Here's why:

• Absolute alcohol, also called anhydrous ethanol, is 100% ethanol with no water content.
  • However, ethanol and water form an azeotrope at around 95% ethanol. This means they mix together in that specific ratio and behave like a single substance when it comes to boiling and evaporation.
  • Separating absolute alcohol from the azeotrope is an additional energy-intensive process.

Since gasohol only requires the ethanol component, using the readily available 95% ethanol azeotrope is more practical and cost-effective for production."

The average petrol tank has 50 litres capacity. A 20% ethanol blend in petrol is 10 litres of azeotrope. I.e it has 500 mL of water, capable of dissolving 1 Kg of sugar, plus 9.5 litres of ethanol which will dissolve 85.5 grams of sugar.

As I said before, science is not LL's strong point.

Edited by Lacessit

On 3/9/2024 at 1:53 PM, Lacessit said:

Whats this got to do with debit cards?

On 3/7/2024 at 4:26 PM, Lacessit said:

I am going back to Australia for a short while. I booked a budget car for a couple of weeks. The rental company wanted a $100 deposit, which I paid with an Australian debit card over the phone.

The day after the transaction, there were three fraudulent transactions on my account, all originating from Uber Eats, within a five minute time frame. About $250 all up, in AUD. Uber is known as Grab in Thailand.

I called my bank in Australia, and cancelled the debit card. The bank will have the fraudulent debits reversed. I imagine it will be asking Uber Eats some tough questions.

I have never used the Australian debit card in Thailand. It has also never been outside my condo apartment. The car rental company is the only transaction it has had in the six months since I returned from Australia.

I called the car rental company. I explained I considered there had been a breach of  cyber security, and I wanted to cancel the booking, and have my deposit returned, as I did not think their systems were secure.

The manager refused to return my deposit, even though I would not be picking up any vehicle for a couple of weeks yet. He claimed breaches of his firm's security were impossible.

In hindsight, someone who is either writing down, repeating, or having on speaker the details of a telephone card transaction, would be wide open to having the details recorded with photo or audio, by any customer or another employee.

Constructive suggestions on how to achieve a refund welcomed. To me, the manager is acting in bad faith.

He claimed breaches of his firm's security were impossible.

What a knucklehead, so this nong nong manager is a world-class IT security expert.

Can you inform the moron that the CIA, FBI and NSA all have been hacked at some point.

Tell the manager to get with the company program of customer support and not customer denial.

The stealing of the debit card details could be at the OP’s end with a compromised mobile phone, somewhere across the long distance phone call, or at the car hire company’s end.  The latter could be a corrupt employee or customer who placed a bug there compromising their phone.

I note the OP found a cheaper place to book another car and perhaps there is more to this than we are being told…

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

The stealing of the debit card details could be at the OP’s end with a compromised mobile phone, somewhere across the long distance phone call, or at the car hire company’s end.  The latter could be a corrupt employee or customer who placed a bug there compromising their phone.

I note the OP found a cheaper place to book another car and perhaps there is more to this than we are being told…

I found a cheaper place to book another car AFTER I cancelled the booking with the first company. Maybe it does not make sense to you to cancel business with a company that has compromised your cybersecurity. It certainly makes sense to me.

I have since confirmed, by scanning Google reviews of the business, that the manager and presumably his employees operate their phones within the sight and hearing of customers - and anyone else.

The manager seems to be a Jekyll and Hyde character, getting some favorable reviews, and some scathing ones.

If the mobile phone was compromised at the Thai end, it does not explain why the fraudulent food orders were placed with an Australian business, and paid for in Australian dollars. Any Thai involvement would identify the location of the charge in Thailand.

You may be right, there may be more to this than meets the eye. However, not in the way you are attempting to imply.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dolf said:

Whats this got to do with debit cards?

Nothing. I am simply demonstrating there is more than one person on ASEAN, apart from you, who skipped science classes and digs themself into a hole with their posts.

• Sad 2

Nothing. I am simply demonstrating there is more than one person on ASEAN, apart from you, who skipped science classes and digs themself into a hole with their posts.

Actually did very well in science.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I found a cheaper place to book another car AFTER I cancelled the booking with the first company. Maybe it does not make sense to you to cancel business with a company that has compromised your cybersecurity. It certainly makes sense to me.

I have since confirmed, by scanning Google reviews of the business, that the manager and presumably his employees operate their phones within the sight and hearing of customers - and anyone else.

The manager seems to be a Jekyll and Hyde character, getting some favorable reviews, and some scathing ones.

If the mobile phone was compromised at the Thai end, it does not explain why the fraudulent food orders were placed with an Australian business, and paid for in Australian dollars. Any Thai involvement would identify the location of the charge in Thailand.

You may be right, there may be more to this than meets the eye. However, not in the way you are attempting to imply.

A smart person would have read the reviews before booking.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, Lacessit said:

It might not be obvious to you, but IMO their transaction security sucks.

I am in no way agreeing with the company but they may not be aware of the problem.  There are many ways in which criminals could have obtained your details without them knowing - including the company's software being hacked.

It may be worthwhile contacting your bank's fraud department to see if there are other reports of breaches after a genuine transaction has been made with that company.

In the UK, the banks share such information with each other in order to identify where breaches originate, I can't see Australia being any different.

I used my card at a restuarant once and it was skimmed.  I later learned that a member of staff at the restaurant was arrested for 'skimming' cards. Things have got a lot more sophisticated since then but the concept remains.

Edited by MangoKorat

17 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I am in no way agreeing with the company but they may not be aware of the problem.  There are many ways in which criminals could have obtained your details without them knowing - including the company's software being hacked.

It may be worthwhile contacting your bank's fraud department to see if there are other reports of breaches after a genuine transaction has been made with that company.

In the UK, the banks share such information with each other in order to identify where breaches originate, I can't see Australia being any different.

I used my card at a restuarant once and it was skimmed.  I later learned that a member of staff at the restaurant was arrested for 'skimming' cards. Things have got a lot more sophisticated since then but the concept remains.

From my contact with the manager, he was in complete denial he could have had his security penetrated in any way.

Telstra and Medicare are big companies in Australia that have been hacked. His security is better than theirs? Yeah right.

I am in contact with the bank's fraud department, and they are in the process of disputing the fraudulent charges, and reversing the charge of the car company. They say Uber is not co-operating in providing details of where the food orders were delivered to.

It will probably take a couple of weeks for everything to shake out.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Dolf said:

A smart person would have read the reviews before booking.

Any other masterful pearls of hindsight you want to share?

Any other masterful pearls of hindsight you want to share?

Not really, just funny that you think you are smarter than everyone else but you are whining about losing a few hundred dollars.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

From my contact with the manager, he was in complete denial he could have had his security penetrated in any way.

You probably rubbed him up the wrong way, you are fairly masterful at that.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

You probably rubbed him up the wrong way, you are fairly masterful at that.

Agreed, I don't suffer fools gladly.

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Not really, just funny that you think you are smarter than everyone else but you are whining about losing a few hundred dollars.

When did I say I was smarter than everyone else? Please quote a post where i have said that.

I am not worried about a couple of hundred dollars. It's more the principle of not allowing someone to cheat me without retribution.

Given the political statements you have made on other threads, it's obvious you and principles are complete strangers.

• Sad 1

my uk credit card was cloned and used in the uk while i was in thailand. i only every use it for buying flights, so how it was cloned is interesting. apparently, the fraudulent sales were confirmed via my mobile app, but not the one on my phone! the purchases were small and for deliveroo, a uk food delivery company.

HSBC were excellent in dealing with the situation, responding promptly and effectively. they canceled my card, issued a new one and i received full refund. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am in contact with the bank's fraud department, and they are in the process of disputing the fraudulent charges, and reversing the charge of the car company.

Good. You (and the bank) did the right thing.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

When did I say I was smarter than everyone else? Please quote a post where i have said that.

I am not worried about a couple of hundred dollars. It's more the principle of not allowing someone to cheat me without retribution.

Given the political statements you have made on other threads, it's obvious you and principles are complete strangers.

Ignore him, you've clearly seen his contributions on other threads - I have a name for people like him, well 2 names actually and one of them is hole.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2