16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why would I want to go back to a company who is not only withholding my booking deposit in bad faith, but also might put me at risk of having a second cyber attack on my account?

It might not be obvious to you, but IMO their transaction security sucks.

Don't understand your reasoning here. The deposit of $100 has been made, which is your reservation deposit and is not returnable, but is taken off your total rental contract amount when paid, when you pick up your car.

The bank are reimbursing for the fraudulent charges, so you are not our of pocket.

When you pay for the car contract (with whatever card you'll use) watch them do the transaction on the machine or use the POS/wifi option and then no phones, no talking, no phones, no problems.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I doubt very much he would admit to having a bad apple, if he did. It would just be supporting my case.

From his tone in both conversation and emails, my guess is he is used to bulldozing over people.

Can you clarify if you have cancelled the booking.

Your OP is a bit ambiguous

In one paragraph you state that you requested a return of deposit because of wanting to cancel 

The next following paragraph the manager refuses even though you would not be picking up the vehicle for another 2 weeks.

The 2nd paragraph can be read as though the booking is still active.

4 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

In one paragraph you state that you requested a return of deposit because of wanting to cancel 

The next following paragraph the manager refuses even though you would not be picking up the vehicle for another 2 weeks.

He did say he has found a cheaper rental company.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am going back to Australia for a short while. I booked a budget car for a couple of weeks. The rental company wanted a $100 deposit, which I paid with an Australian debit card over the phone.

The day after the transaction, there were three fraudulent transactions on my account, all originating from Uber Eats, within a five minute time frame. About $250 all up, in AUD. Uber is known as Grab in Thailand.

I called my bank in Australia, and cancelled the debit card. The bank will have the fraudulent debits reversed. I imagine it will be asking Uber Eats some tough questions.

I have never used the Australian debit card in Thailand. It has also never been outside my condo apartment. The car rental company is the only transaction it has had in the six months since I returned from Australia.

I called the car rental company. I explained I considered there had been a breach of  cyber security, and I wanted to cancel the booking, and have my deposit returned, as I did not think their systems were secure.

The manager refused to return my deposit, even though I would not be picking up any vehicle for a couple of weeks yet. He claimed breaches of his firm's security were impossible.

In hindsight, someone who is either writing down, repeating, or having on speaker the details of a telephone card transaction, would be wide open to having the details recorded with photo or audio, by any customer or another employee.

Constructive suggestions on how to achieve a refund welcomed. To me, the manager is acting in bad faith.

I think the manager and staff enjoyed their Uber Eats lunch on you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I think the manager and staff enjoyed their Uber Eats lunch on you.

It must have been a fairly late lunch, given it was billed at 10.30 pm.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

The plot thickens....

How? I cancelled the booking because I did not want to deal with a company with lax security. I still needed to rent a vehicle, so I went looking.

Conspiracy theory much?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How? I cancelled the booking because I did not want to deal with a company with lax security. I still needed to rent a vehicle, so I went looking.

Conspiracy theory much?

So finding something cheaper was a coincidence, got it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

I have cancelled the booking. The drama started when I said I wanted the deposit back.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So finding something cheaper was a coincidence, got it. 

My first attempt was with a business close to the airport, that hired out on a day rate.

The second prospect is a business much closer to my son's home. The minimum hire is 30 days.

You have a suspicious mind.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Don't understand your reasoning here. The deposit of $100 has been made, which is your reservation deposit and is not returnable, but is taken off your total rental contract amount when paid, when you pick up your car.

The bank are reimbursing for the fraudulent charges, so you are not our of pocket.

When you pay for the car contract (with whatever card you'll use) watch them do the transaction on the machine or use the POS/wifi option and then no phones, no talking, no phones, no problems.

It will take about two weeks to dispute the charges through Visa as fraudulent, and I don't know if the dispute will be successfully resolved in my favor.

I am not interested in becoming some kind of security expert, watching a transaction like a hawk. Especially not with a company who has already caused me to cancel a card.

IMO only a complete idiot would want a repeat performance.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The issue I see is that you entered into an agreement and then terminated that agreement.

Normally in such contracts/agreements contain penalty clauses exist within certain limitations.

The deposit usually is only withheld and released after the rental agreement has been concluded.

Depending upon the agreement and termination it is possible that the company is waiting to deduct any termination penalties before releasing the deposit.

It all depends upon what you agreed to.

And perhaps they always wait for final electricity, internet, water bills.. 

3 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

For future reference, you might find Indigo Car Hire useful. I didn't think they covered Oz, but apparently they do

https://indigocarhire.co.uk/faq/car-hire-with-a-debit-card-in-australia/

The website wants me to fill out my personal information first. I cannot see anywhere that it quotes tariffs.

Given it is displaying brands such as a Citroen DS3 and a Ford Ka, no thanks.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

slightly OT ... when getting ATM cash using your foreign debit card do you pay a conversion fee ?  reason I ask is I made a 10k baht withdrawal, and was charged the usual 220 baht here, but also $13 conversion fee by my bank ( or building society actually )  so the 10k cost 520 baht ....

This is your own fault. Never ever accept a conversion at the ATM. Only choose THB. Otherwise they charge you extremly high fees for nothing.
https://wise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-thailand

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Why would I do that?

Try reading what has been said before posting.

Take your own pill.

The advice was for the OP, not you.

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

He has $100 of my money, and a choice.

It will cost him nothing to return my money.

It will cost him the loss of that business and could be seen as an admission of the company being in the wrong.  You have the booking that you made, it will cost you nothing to keep the booking.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have cancelled the booking. The drama started when I said I wanted the deposit back.

Next time don't pay a deposit. Write a bad review on Tripadvisor.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why would I want to go back to a company who is not only withholding my booking deposit in bad faith, but also might put me at risk of having a second cyber attack on my account?

It might not be obvious to you, but IMO their transaction security sucks.

How could there be a second incident caused, allegedly, by that company, if you have a new card?   Are you making further transaction with the new card?

• Love It 1

I am not interested in becoming some kind of security expert, 

But your accusative posts regarding their "lax security" suggest that you think that you are an expert having already determined that the company is at fault.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

The website wants me to fill out my personal information first. I cannot see anywhere that it quotes tariffs.

No, it doesn't.   All you have to do to get a quote and vehicle choice is to indicate your pick up point and the rental dates.  Teslas and 5 Series are available if they would meet your high standards.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it doesn't.   All you have to do to get a quote and vehicle choice is to indicate your pick up point and the rental dates.  Teslas and 5 Series are available if they would meet your high standards.

I took you off ignore to see what you were saying. A series of troll posts from someone who is unusually determined to provoke, back you go.

• Sad 1