Tourists increase spending in Thailand despite soaring airfares

snoop1130

t-03-Foreign-tourists-increase-spending-on-luxury-hotels-and-resorts-despite-higher-airfares.jpg

Despite higher airfares, foreign tourists are indulging in opulent accommodation choices, sending spending figures soaring, according to a recent Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) survey.

The TAT’s survey, which engaged 30,054 tourists last year, unveiled a significant uptick in expenditure per trip, hitting an average of 50,900 baht. A substantial portion of this sum, averaging 23,518 baht per trip, was allocated to accommodation costs, underscoring a preference for lavish stays.

But it’s not just plush hotel suites that are capturing tourists’ attention. The survey pointed to a shift in dining preferences, with more visitors opting for the vibrant flavours of street food, a trend that has seen a remarkable rise from 63% to 77.3%. Consequently, the average spending on food and beverage has dipped to 4,094 baht from 5,875 baht in 2019.

Furthermore, café hopping has emerged as a burgeoning trend, adding a new dimension to tourist experiences. Analysis of spending patterns across nationalities revealed tourists from the Middle East leading the pack in expenditure, trailed closely by visitors from Oceania, the US, and Europe, reported Pattaya Mail.

The survey also shed light on the evolving landscape of travel bookings, with a whopping 53.7% of individual travellers resorting to online platforms for trip arrangements. Despite this digital shift, travel agents and tour operators retain a significant foothold in the industry.

In related news, the visa exemption agreement between Thailand and China has sparked a significant rise in bookings from Thai travellers. During the Songkran holiday through May, airlines and tour operators noted an uptick in Thai passengers on some routes outnumbering their Chinese counterparts.

In other news, Thailand’s Industry Ministry is spearheading a digital revolution aimed at boosting revenue for the nation’s wellness and medical business entrepreneurs. With the ambitious target of surpassing 30 million baht in revenue, this initiative promises to reshape the landscape of Thailand’s tourism and economy.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 2

I guess these days if you can afford to fly you can afford to be lavish. I'm guessing this article has more to do with the rich Chinese and Russians more than anyone else.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I guess these days if you can afford to fly you can afford to be lavish. I'm guessing this article has more to do with the rich Chinese and Russians more than anyone else.

The original article suggested differently - but who knows......

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Analysis of spending patterns across nationalities revealed tourists from the Middle East leading the pack in expenditure, trailed closely by visitors from Oceania, the US, and Europe, reported Pattaya Mail.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Consequently, the average spending on food and beverage has dipped to 4,094 baht from 5,875 baht in 2019.

Where are they eating? 1500 baht a day gets you a lot.

19 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Got that right. My niece was here last week and she stayed in the cheapest accommodation we could find... (well not THE cheapest) and we still spent a bunch of money...

10 hours ago, Dolf said:

10 hours ago, Dolf said:

Consequently, the average spending on food and beverage has dipped to 4,094 baht from 5,875 baht in 2019.

Food: One plate of pad thai gai, street vendor = 50 thb. 

Drink: 10 large Leos + 15 bargirl drinks = 4,044 thb.  

Total4,094 thb.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Have to increase spending, inflation is off the charts. So what is new?

I don't think inflation is off the charts at all but I do think some increased prices following covid have been sticky.

Screenshot(62).png.e1ab2ba4784affe7858ceebc84f50337.png

https://www.bot.or.th/content/dam/bot/documents/en/our-roles/monetary-policy/mpc-publication/monetary-policy-report/MPR_2023_Q4.pdf

19 hours ago, Dolf said:

Really depends on where you are eating.

I went out with some friends for a steak dinner on Friday night.... I had a USDA prime fillet, it was Bt3,000.