Door renovation cost

Hi all. Considering buying a condo that has  a connected living room and bedroom . Basically, there is a five or six foot opening between the living and bedroom. I want to put in a sliding door between to make the bedroom more private. Any ballpark figurescas to what it will cost?

• Confused 1

Aluminium and glass around 12000 baht.

There are different qualities of course.

6 feet is ok for that 5 feet is a little bit narrow.

A frame above the door with sliding (wider) hang door would be cheaper but will look more bulky.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Hi all. Considering buying a condo that has  a connected living room and bedroom . Basically, there is a five or six foot opening between the living and bedroom. I want to put in a sliding door between to make the bedroom more private. Any ballpark figurescas to what it will cost?

Depends on what you want.

Balcony style glass & aluminum sliding door?

Wood sliding pocket door?

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Depends on what you want.

Balcony style glass & aluminum sliding door?

Wood sliding pocket door?

It's an interior door, so a wooden sliding door that disappears into the wall would be ideal. AFAIK it is not a load bearing wall. 

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

It's an interior door, so a wooden sliding door that disappears into the wall would be ideal. AFAIK it is not a load bearing wall. 

If there's a 2-meter opening already, then it's not load bearing there.  Doesn't matter, you don't need to knock down any more wall.  Just get a 1-meter door and have your workers build a 1-meter pocket in the opening for it to slide into.

Looks easy, plenty of YouTube videos for ideas.

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Getting a sliding door that disappears into the wall can be a big job because you need to create a pocket and I bet you there are cement reinforcing columns on both sides of your opening. Notice the windows in the picture below? normally they do the same for passage openings .

image.thumb.jpeg.09db1c1d6f99cee6e0f2c0c63edcce37.jpeg

But they have hanging sliding doors that are easy and inexpensive to install, something like the one in the picture below. I have seen many different styles. Go to some places like Global house etc and have a look. 

image.png.10ce223864269ae5b6da8886636f5718.png

• Thumbs Up 1

This wouldn't set you back much more than 10k doors cost 2.5k a piece, the kit a bit of gypsum board, paint and labor another 5k.

Just bought another of these doors for my office from Lazada.

IMG_1108 Large.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Getting a sliding door that disappears into the wall can be a big job because you need to create a pocket and I bet you there are cement reinforcing columns on both sides of your opening. Notice the windows in the picture below? normally they do the same for passage openings .

image.thumb.jpeg.09db1c1d6f99cee6e0f2c0c63edcce37.jpeg

But they have hanging sliding doors that are easy and inexpensive to install, something like the one in the picture below. I have seen many different styles. Go to some places like Global house etc and have a look. 

image.png.10ce223864269ae5b6da8886636f5718.png

You may be right about that. Strange thing is, the complex has two buildings with identical floor plans. But... building B has sliding doors between the two rooms and Building A does not. And the unit i lIke of course is in A.

26 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

You may be right about that. Strange thing is, the complex has two buildings with identical floor plans. But... building B has sliding doors between the two rooms and Building A does not. And the unit i lIke of course is in A.

You already have the hole, right?  5-6 feet wide?

Find a local contractor that makes screens and windows.  A custom built sliding glass door installed won't cost any more than buying a pre-made unit at Global.  They'll take measurements, cut the pieces at the shop, bring them to your place in a pickup.  Installation should take half a day.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Exactly how big is your Opening?  

If let's say it is 6 ft,  you could use part of it to make a nice 2 ft wood pocket , and have two 2 ft staggered sliding doors , (like they have in elevator) sliding into the 2 ft pocket . This will give you a nice  4 ft opening when both panels are open, but most of the time for personal entering and exiting you would be opening only the first panel. 

You can probably have this custom made not to expensive. Anyway just another idea to consider, 

At Homepro and other places you can order custom PVC folding doors.  Give them the opening measurements or they may want to go measure it themselves.

Similar to this:

PVC Folding Door Dubai | Space-Saving & Durable | Low Price