Anti-Farang hate campaign continues #Farang

12 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

To be clear here I'm not saying this is a disaster and we should be panicking, I'm just reporting on something which may be of interest because it's following a trend which just started.

If I Thai people around the country and are saying to each other "hear about that kid that got killed by the Farang?" thanks to that news story it doesn't do me any favors.

The best policy is to not mention race unless it's strictly relevant to the case. America is the best example of this where a news story is presented with the race in the headline and then the race riots follow (remember BLM?).

No, America is NOT the best example of anything.

Once you get your head around that, you'll be fine.

Unless you're talking about two angry Swiss men, there is no 'trend which just started'.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Is this turning into another debate about the word 'farang' being derogatory? You appear to be one of those that considers it to be a racial epithet.

No I'm fine with "farang" and some racial slurs if it's in good fun

With your introduction of an "American context" to the debate, what will mentioning the totally irrelevant question of America's race relations achieve here?

Context helps put things in perspective? Farang is a not a racial slur exactly but it's kind of low class and informal so it was noteworthy a national news station used it on YouTube. For anyone who speaks a little Thai you may notice officials and TV presenters do use the proper word for "foreigner" and don't call all white people Farang.

• Agree 1

No, America is NOT the best example of anything.

Once you get your head around that, you'll be fine.

Which country has more open race baiting on the news than the US? Do other countries put the race of perpetrators in the headlines and intentional flair up tensions? I think the US is pretty unique here but anyone is welcome to give other examples.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:25 AM, mstevens said:

Looking at the video, while you cannot see the point of impact, it appears that the car just drifted off the road to the left and collided with Oat, killing him. Did the driver fall asleep? And then the vehicle veers off to the other (wrong) side of the road. At the very least, the driver should be charged with negligent driving causing death. It might not have been intentional.

It appears the foreigner was a 60-year old German and he fled from his home following the accident.

Police went to his home the next morning to investigate and breath-tested the driver then but by then it showed no alcohol....which is hardly unexpected as it was the next day.

No, depending on amount consumed but from what I know can most likely detect alcohol the next day...

Unfortunately, many Farangs do not know what it means to be a guest. They act as if they own the house. I hope those who think they are above the law end up like the Swiss. The forum members are giving the administrators a hard time. Even on this forum there is a crime of "inciting hatred and enmity" almost every day.  

On 3/12/2024 at 8:15 AM, NorthernRyland said:

It's not looking like a good time be a Farang in Thailand!

A paranoid statement. No one is differentiating you on the street except for some other insecure farangs 

• Thanks 1

Many times while driving I come across a group of Thai cyclists who are almost in the middle of the road demanding respect. Wonder why they get hit so often, although this is not the case here but it shocks me how many times a group cyclists are going relatively slow and expecting huge trucks and cars to slow don to a crawl because they have expensive carbon bikes and fancy sportswear.