Pit Bull Attacks Woman in Chiang Mai

webfact

Just now, John Drake said:

There are sword canes. All the best people carried one in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Just watched an advert for a multi-use cane…..they do look the biz……and I’m old enough to carry it off….555

• Like 2

Seeing as that they won't even enforce the simplest of safety laws, I won't be putting my baseball bat into storage anytime soon while waiting for this place to introduce breed specific legislation.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Huh >> Thai dogs are racist now ???

You've never noticed that Thai dogs bark more at foreigners, and are slower to accept foreigners into their territory? It practically took a decade before the dogs stopped barking at me when I visited my neighbors down the road, and that's only because I started feeding them stock bones. Thai dogs can definitely bark more at foreigners. Not because they're "racist" but because they can detect their "non-Thainess." Body odor, height, weight, skin color, unfamiliar vocal sounds? I can't read dog minds, but that's definitely the case, just as, I might add, dogs can become agitated more than usual if a black person walks down a street in an all-white neighborhood.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

You've never noticed that Thai dogs bark more at foreigners, and are slower to accept foreigners into their territory?

No, never, not at all... I don't have much to do with dogs here anyway. We live in the city, so I consider it cruel to have a dog here.

I've not even heard or dogs barking at foreigners (more than Thai's) or are slower to accept foreigners into their territory. 

Dogs do bark at me at the beach - I just figured these are ayhole vermin beach-soi dogs which are a complete pest on a number of beaches. 

It practically took a decade before the dogs stopped barking at me when I visited my neighbors down the road, and that's only because I started feeding them stock bones.

Interesting...   

Thai dogs can definitely bark more at foreigners. Not because they're "racist" but because they can detect their "non-Thainess."

So Thai dogs, not racist, but nationalist ??

If you were to have a car accident, then hit n run, then claim brake failure - would the dog be able to detect your 'Thainess' then ? 

(I know facetious remark, but I thought it amusing on the Thainess comment)

It seems you are suggesting that if two people are not from the area and one is a foreigner and the other is Thai the dog will be more at ease with the Thai stranger than the foreign stranger ??? 

Or, could it be that you see the dogs more at ease with the locals because they are localls and in-fact a Thai who's new to the area would be less 'welcomed' by the dogs ???  

Body odor, height, weight, skin color, unfamiliar vocal sounds? I can't read dog minds, but that's definitely the case, just as, I might add, dogs can become agitated more than usual if a black person walks down a street in an all-white neighborhood.

Is that so... I never realised that...   Obviously not racist - but dogs becoming alarmed by something different I can buy into....

I guess there is something to it when you explain it... 

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems you are suggesting that if two people are not from the area and one is a foreigner and the other is Thai the dog will be more at ease with the Thai stranger than the foreign stranger ??? 

That's exactly what I'm saying. If the owner shushes the dog when a Thai stranger visits the home, the dog will typically comply with the owner's command quicker and respect the Thai person's non-threat status in the absence of the owner quicker than it typically would for a foreigner, i.e., the foreigner will have to initially put up with more aggressive barking upon the initial encounter, and the dog will be slower to accept the foreigner as a non-threat whether in the owner's presence or not. That's assuming the dog is a barker. Of course, there are dogs who are totally laid back no matter who is in their territory.

By the way, in an urban environment a dog's natural territorial instincts are overwhelmed due to congestion, pollution, and lack of opportunity to socialize/compete with other dogs, and if they're outside they have to be on a leash. Out in the countryside, it's a completely different story.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Taiwan for 5 years my neighbour had three male pitbulls. They were a delight. Friendly, and full of fun. They were, however, properly cared for by their owner. In this case the death of the owner played a part, no doubt, and we have not been told what triggered the attack. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Banned breeds in Thailand are:

• American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Pit Bull breeds that include American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bully, American Bulldog and Staffordshire Bull Terrier

While it is not illegal to own these breeds in Thailand, the import of these breeds is prohibited by law. These breeds are banned for import in many countries around the world for several reasons. They have broad, strong jaws which means they can inflict great harm when they attack. They are strong, large-sized dogs that are not always easy to control. Though not all dogs of these breeds are aggressive and unfriendly, breed-specific legislation assumes that these breeds are vicious because of the history of attacks and dog bites by these dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Obesrvation:- This is the third similar debate in Asean Now and the  Anti P.B. team have  already "won" the latest round, but sadly, two victims have again "lost" out.  What if the next victim is a small child? Oh please no.😭

Three more days of hostile debate here wont help the latest or future victims world wide.

These type of dogs really should be banned from everywhere, they have power and are not your average Lassie or Jack russell in fact the pain people or anything that gets attacked by these must be absolutely dreadful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, transam said:

Pit Bulls are illegal in LOS, the owner should be in serious trouble, and rightly so.........

I just hate it when people show their ignorance of Thai law.

The law prohibits imports of pit bulls but breeding and raising domestically are allowed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, transam said:

Pit Bulls are illegal in LOS, the owner should be in serious trouble, and rightly so.........🤨

"Should be". Well, unfortunately the fine will solve the problem with pitbulls here. Most Thai's don't have any close connection to dogs like Westerners. 

Our dog sleeps with us in aircon room and is never been alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

15,000 Thais are killed due to motorcycles per year. Where's the call for motorcycles to be banned in Thailand???????? Not all fatal dog attacks in Thailand are the result of PitBull. But the PB haters would want you to believe so. Carry on with your comical; thread.

June 11, 2011 Mana Tesrit, 51, Male Golden Retriever Thailand, Sattahip district — A 51 year old Thai man is mauled to death by a 3 year old Golden Retriever. 
Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Instead of lambasting the elderly woman, with whom the dog had been left and who had apparently made a genuine and successful effort to get it re-homed after the actual owner's death last month, perhaps some empathy is required?

It seems that she was left holding the baby. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

Pit Bulls are illegal in LOS, the owner should be in serious trouble, and rightly so.........🤨

No they are not, nor is breeding them. Importing them is illegal. you'll never guess how I know that. FULL STORIES are useful before making a comment.