Pit Bull Attacks Woman in Chiang Mai

webfact

20 hours ago, transam said:

I just look at what Google says...........☺️

https://petraveller.com.au/blog/banned-breeds-in-thailand

Thailand has a breed-specific ban in place for the import of strong and aggressive dogs to curb dog attacks on the general public and animals.

Banned breeds in Thailand are:

• American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Pit Bull breeds that include American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bully, American Bulldog and Staffordshire Bull Terrier

While it is not illegal to own these breeds in Thailand, the import of these breeds is prohibited by law. 

So, as clear as mud! It would appear that you are not allowed to import these "Devil Dogs", it is OK if you already own one, and apparently they are still being bred here!!

Time to ban them OUTRIGHT - too many deadly attacks on people by these "sweet family pets", and how about this for stupidity:-

"An unexpected guest was seen yesterday at the Bang Lamung, Pattaya funeral of the victim of a pit bull attack. Giant, the guilty dog, was brought to apologise by his new owner." (From 2021, but still relevant today)

Surely, all these countries can't be wrong:- 

"The countries that have a restriction, a partial or a complete ban on pit bulls are as follows: Argentina, Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, Australia, Ecuador, Israel, Norway, Taiwan, Austria, Fiji, Italy, Poland, Trinidad and Tobago, Belarus, Finland, Japan, Portugal, Turkey, Belgium, France, Latvia, Puerto Rico, Ukraine, Bermuda, Germany, Lithuania, Romania, the United Arab Emirates, Brazil, Guyana, Liechtenstein, Russia, the United Kingdom, Canada, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, the United States, China, Iceland, Malta, Singapore, Venezuela, Cyprus, India, the Netherlands, and Spain." (Total 49 countries!!!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

When I was still cycling, I used clipless pedals. Really enjoyed the bloodthirsty turning into squeals when my cleat gouged across one of those dogs faces.

260? Obviously a not very likeable person.

53 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Normal dogs don't attack a human being, yes they will bark and maybe chase a bike but that is all. when I first started walking around the lake here all the dogs from the adjacent houses would bark at me and sometimes follow me barking, I remained calm, after 4 or 5 visits they realized I wasn't a danger and ignored me. once while sitting on the ground looking over the lake one of them came over and unceremoniously dumped itself on my lap wagging its tail.

There are a couple of normal looking dogs near me that attack my CAR for no apparent reason, and it's not even an MG................:coffee1:

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For the defenders of Pit Bull type dogs.

In any country it is hard to ban anything, it has to go through various stages of law, so can you tell me why there is a ban or restrictions on them in so many countries around the World listed below, now I don't think it's anything to do with their ear shape.........🤗

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-that-ban-pit-bulls

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

There are a couple of normal looking dogs near me that attack my CAR for no apparent reason, and it's not even an MG................:coffee1:

My dogs started doing that to my car, at first I was baffled but it turned out I had a mouse family under the carpets underneath the rear seat. I live in Isaan and the car was parked next to my rice barn. Once I got rid of the mice the attacks stopped.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My dogs started doing that to my car, at first I was baffled but it turned out I had a mouse family under the carpets underneath the rear seat. I live in Isaan and the car was parked next to my rice barn. Once I got rid of the mice the attacks stopped.

Mine attacks are me doing 30 mph and them taking the risk of being squashed....🤔

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's because they are not illegal.  Importing them is not permitted now, though.  They are supposed to be chipped and registered at the local district office.

Chipping does nothing.       chopping would be better

Hear, hear!

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Or the same result by getting rid of the dogs!   555

No chance, nothing better than getting honest adoration when returning home, both competing for my attention by showing me how fantastic I am, they should make women like that.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I agree, as should happen with all dogs.

Sick, sad comment. Seek help asap.

No, it is just my opinion, in reaction to that posters comment.  That you find it "sick" and "sad" is your issue...seek help asap if you think that everyone should have the same opinions as you do.   With the exception of working dogs, pet dogs are a ridiculous waste of space, that is my opinion.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Thanks…..I did buy one, first off……but one of my kids works with dogs and told me in no uncertain terms it was a waste of money……it will scare a dog, which usually does the trick….but if one ‘really’ goes for you, she said they wouldn’t even notice being hit…..you have to knife or shoot them…..!!!!!

Most people won't have a knife or gun on them. I think the pitts have a lot if muscle and even stabbing does not work.

The dogs biggest weakness it it's eyes. Stick your finger in it's eyes or use your house keys which most people always have on them to gouge the eyes.

Edited by JimTripper

21 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

From linked article:

"Her boyfriend recounted his own experience of being bitten by the same dog three months ago, requiring 18 stitches. His wound had not fully healed. It is understood that the pit bull might have been stressed from being chained and confined regularly. However, the owner has not responded to requests to cover the medical expenses."

Put a bullet in the mutt before it attacks someone for the 3rd time.

Its life seems to have passed without incident when owned by her son who has now passed - apparently. So I would summise the owner had the dog under control and it wasn't a menace to anyone.

Sadly, the new owners dont seem to have wanted it from the get-go as they have been trying to off-load it. Probably mistreated it too if the owners b/f was attacked recently. 

These dogs are loyal and loving but if mistreated (or kicked as Thais tend to do with dogs) then dont be surprised if they're not best pleased. And that goes for all dogs, not just Pitbulls. Treat them badly and threaten them and they might bite back. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The proposed new owner confirmed it.  Why disbelieve the old girl?

"The new owner of the pit bull declined to give an interview, only confirming readiness to care for the dog safely".

I would be more worried about your safety mate.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So's gambling. And your point is?

Horrendous incident. My sympathies to the injured lady but also to the unfortunate lady left with the dog when her son, it's owner, died. She was wisely trying to get the dog rehomed.

The inevitable media outcry. Yet illegal gambling dens far more common in LOS than pitbulls, popping up openly even at funeral parties round here. I've not seen any pitbulls here. The consequences of gambling addiction can be just as devastating and far reaching. So like pitbulls gambling should be banned or strictly controlled....oh wait it is banned...for the moment.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem is Thai gov doesn’t have an intervention system in place in identifying/rating dangerous/aggressive dogs and have legal ability to seize these dogs to put down/rehab these dogs

they prefer to leave it loosey goosey and do nothing constructively to manage dog attacks…

so it falls back to all the parties involved to deal with compensation, ownership and dog management 

I think it reflects poorly on the Thai culture this mai bpen rai attitude as there are no guidelines or regulations or legal system intervention 

at least try to manage this type of incident 

Edited by cardinalblue

I love dogs, but I don't care for this particular breed. If your dog attacks someone, you need to be held to account. Plain and simple. Too often careless owners are to blame for these horrific attacks. 

When I lived in San Francisco I saw a guy about 25-years-old being attacked by a Pit Bull. The poor guy had jumped up into the bed of a pickup truck that was parked nearby in an attempt to escape the enraged dog but it went right up after him. I immediately exited my car with a wooden Billy Club in hand and whacked the dog on top of his skull as hard as I could and to my utter amazement it seemed to have no effect on the animal. I then whacked the dog between fifteen and twenty times until it went into kind of a daze. I then grabbed a rope in the truck and tied the dazed Pit Bull to the pickup's lumber rack so it could not move. The police soon arrived on the scene followed by the animal control people and then shortly thereafter the dog's owner arrived just in time to tell me that I had no respect. (Had the police not been there I might have had to whack the dog's owner over the head.)

Edited by oslooskar

On 3/14/2024 at 12:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Here we go again...

"Ripper, My Pittie is great with kids and would lick em to death"....  :whistling:

And I hope they did 'take care of him'....    and the owner, whatever their BS excuses needs to be facing heavy fines.

The dog would be put down in most countries, they are also banned in many. 

They can never be trusted, my friend had one that was very good natured until one day it nearly severed his hand, Maiming him for life as he took the dog to his brothers house, the dog attacked a pet rabbit in a pen and the owner tried to stop it, then his beloved animal turned vicious on him. 

On 3/15/2024 at 12:39 PM, Ben Zioner said:

The dog should have been terminated a long time ago. The only sensible thing to do. The owner of the dog should compensate the victim. While it should be tens of millions for the loss of an arm, we know that Thailand is hopeless when it comes to protecting victims.

Daddy  I disagree 

Dogs behaviour are a result of their owners just like a son is the result of his daddy 

Dogs can receive "counselling" too and with proper behavioural counselling that dog can change .

Please be more empathetic 

Edited by georgegeorgia