Buying Gold jewellery in Thailand

Negita43

21 hours ago, rwill said:

Basically 2 baht of gold equals 1 ounce of gold.  Most of the gold jewelry is 96.5% pure.  But there are lower grades sold too.

Yes, which I believe is the equivalent of 23carat. Do they sell 100% pure in Thailand as I've never seen it

• 5 months later...

Thai gold is so soft, it gets dented and scratched very easily and the Thais trade it in every couple of years for a new fresh piece. Better off buying her gold bullion. Plus, if you buy jewellery then she will probably never sell it as it means losing face and her friends noticing that she has less jewellery on. I tried to get my girlfriend to sell off her chains when the price exploded but she wouldn't listen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2024 at 12:45 PM, Upnotover said:

It's not weird, it's just a weight.  1 Baht = 15.244 grams.  The shops in the malls and in the streets are legitimate and will all display their sell and buy rates.  You pay a small premium on top for decorative work.  Make sure she keeps the shop receipt for when she wants to sell it.

Aurora shop is Good  all over the country have a membership also which is handy 

Edited by Irish star

3 hours ago, StephenD said:

Thai gold is so soft, it gets dented and scratched very easily and the Thais trade it in every couple of years for a new fresh piece

Yes! For that reason I tried to buy 18 or 21car but no go...

I also said Thai gold looks "fake", too yellow, in the West.

She said; "For Thai anything but yellow looks fake..."

So I bought soft 23.