Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

"Section 335 of the Criminal Law: committing theft in a dwelling place. The penalty is imprisonment from one to five years and a fine from 20,000 to 100,000 baht."

First mention I've seen of that one!

7 minutes ago, jesimps said:

In my 17 years of driving my car here I've been stopped and fined 200 baht each time on made up violations. Each time I gave them a wry smile, paid up and got on my way. What's the point in causing a scene for a couple of hundred baht? Even if these guys hadn't been speeding and all over the road, they had no motorbike licence so were breaking the law. Why risk a barney with a copper resulting in possible jail time over paying a small fine?

It shouldn't be that way, but it is!

Remember, if you disobey a cop, there is good chance they will not be happy when they catch up to you.  So, not sure what these two cowards were thinking when they finally pulled over for the Thai Cop.  Then lying about self-defense. Spoiled rich kids got caught up in Thailand now....better hope Mommie's millions will save them.  If my parents were rich, I would not quibble about a fine from cops in this country.  I hope they get years in prison for their Moronic behavior.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Section 335 of the Criminal Law: committing theft in a dwelling place. The penalty is imprisonment from one to five years and a fine from 20,000 to 100,000 baht."

First mention I've seen of that one!

so stealing a pair of shoes could land one in deeper trouble than assaulting a cop ?   theoretically at least ,  I was going to say .".well this is Thailand " afterall, but there are plenty of instances in other countries were the disparity in punishments for different crimes defy logic

1 hour ago, jvs said:

If they would have just stopped when asked to, none of this would have happened.

There was another thread a week or so ago,it was about how smart people really are?

These two guys who have a high paying job and probably not really stupid in their work but how smart are they really?

They also knew they did not have a license to legally operate a motorbike.

No matter how you try to spin this these two guys are stupid!

Playing devils advocate. 

- As the men approached, one policeman figured he'd stop them as they were "not riding close to the left side of the road and riding at high speed"...  Which seems like made up BS (the BiB can't tell how fast they were riding and the "not riding close to the left side" is trumped up BS. 

- The Policeman saw white foreigners and signalled them to stop. 

- NZ guys didn't see that they were told to stop so carried on, or,

- NZ guy didn't want to get extorted so refused to stop (guys on this forum talk of just riding through when told to stop). 

- BiB gave chase and pulled tried to shoot out the tyres (?)

- NZ frightened at getting shot at stop.

- Policeman had the NZ guys under arrest with gun drawn, NZ guys frightened that a crazy Policeman had them at gun point. 

- NZ guys took the gun off the Policeman just in case he was crazy enough to shoot again.

- Policeman lied about shooting and used the 'miss-fire during a tussle' excuse to pin further blame on the NZ guys. 

No idea what really happened of course - but the above is also a possible scenario.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Both brothers MMA fighters according to Khaosod.

If they were MMA fighters, they should have maturity to control their actions as they are trained fighters.  Also, look at the size of that cop.  Those men are cowards!

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

You believe a Thai policeman took the video of another officer being assaulted instead of jumping in?   

I am saying that that is the way that it seems as written in the article.

1. Why are these Kiwi's not in a hospital?

2. At first I thought these guys were Americans

3. I used to carry a small Walther 380 as a backup for scenarios like this.  

4.  The "police were attacking me" defense is already in motion. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

IMHO If the cop took out his gun to enforce the law (traffic violation) then the whole story changes.He wasn't expecting any resistance to a drawn gun.I'm not defending the Kiwis but that fact should be made public.

He is a cop!  Why did these Morons not figure out that a little respect goes a long way?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

so stealing a pair of shoes could land one in deeper trouble than assaulting a cop ?   theoretically at least ,  I was going to say .".well this is Thailand " afterall, but there are plenty of instances in other countries were the disparity in punishments for different crimes defy logic

Honest question - did they steal a pair of shoes? I can't recall anything of 18 pages of posts regarding this incident where theft was mentioned.

5 hours ago, Deerculler said:

I get the impression that policeman felt intimidated and pulled out his gun. In returned the bike riders felt the same and one of them took the pistol from the policeman. And a shot was accidently fired.

What ever happened.

They are in deep trouble.

It is rare for a Thai cop to pull his gun out, there must have been provocation....

3 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Cops are not happy if you disrespect them.  Any  cop in any country wants a little respect...it goes a long way.  All of us get rinsed by the cops...and life goes on....they have money...and families...but no critical thinking skills.

1 minute ago, Taboo2 said:

He is a cop!  Why did these Morons not figure out that a little respect goes a long way?

Because 'cops' in Thailand are nothing more than organised criminals shaking people down...   Thats why there is little respect and certainly not enough respect for the Police here to go any distance. 

That said: I'd agree, play the game and stop if asked to. But, perhaps they did not notice the signal of the BiB.

or, perhaps they thought they could burn through the checkpoint and get away with it (no license). 

Did the Policeman draw his weapon on them (and they took it) to make themselves safer because they were scared ?

OR... Did they attack the Policeman and during the attack they too his weapon ?

(There's a lot more to this story I'm sure).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Honest question - did they steal a pair of shoes? I can't recall anything of 18 pages of posts regarding this incident where theft was mentioned.

No they did not steal any shoes , I was commenting on the disparity between the maximum sentences for assaulting a cop   (1 year and 20,000) compared to the maximum sentence for stealing from a dwelling place,( 5years and 100,000)  I used the theft of shoes as an example of what might be stolen from a dwelling place . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

They stole his gun.

9 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Bogans who do mma or muay thai. They have no brains.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

According to initial reports on NZ news the two claim the Police officer attempted to attack them and they acted in Self Defence.

actually looking at it there is something not right with this would like to know the full story 

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

And firearms should be used as a last resort, and in my opinion only when faced with an armed assailant,   there are other options available,  mace spray and tazers for example,  He had his gun out and ready to fire, had he shot either or both of them it would be a completely different story. 

So if you are a small cop facing 2 burly farangy's, shouting at you menacingly, you would not have your only means of protection at the ready...?  🤭

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Good to see the Kiwi's making the headlines. 

Thailand wants more tourism but they really should filter the tourists, too many lowlife foreigners arriving. 

How would you suggest a country to filter tourists?

As it is the TH immigration is under fire for too much of red tape - imagine the start a filtration process!

Just put these lowlife tourists in the BKK Hilton immediately - that should stop these sick Rambos playing games!

Ever heard of these antics in Saudi Arabia?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1