Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

2 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

Perhaps they were reacting to Thai police extorting Farangs. ??????

Actually, it was reported that each of them tried to bribe their way out at the police station. On top of everything else.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, milesinnz said:

As a New Zealander, I can confirm that NZ is full of arrogant entitled p***** ... looking forward to leaving permanently... to SE Asia....

In my many thousands of KMs of motorcycling in Thailand, I was ALWAYS stopped at EVERY road check point, even as Thai's without helmets passed by without being stopped.

Once I was stopped about 3 times in maybe 20 kms (I have no idea what there were so many check points). I complained to the senior Police Officer there. He was very friendly. Funny, the next two check points I went though I was not stopped the only time this has ever happened = not being stopped at a Police check point.

There can have been no possible sane reason why these two nutters ended up in the situation they did other than their own arrogance, entitlement and stupidity.

I think too many western people tend to demand the same standards in a SE Asian country as they expect in their own country, forgetting that they are guests in this country and need to abide by the laws and customs of that country. As they say, when in Rome xxx xx x

Come  on you cant have it  both ways, when in Rome you say ......so drive on the wrong side drive,    no helmet, through red  lights etc but then  "abide by the laws and customs" which one is it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever anyone wants to believe was the cause, whether justified or corrupt, if a police officer draws his gun, the reasonable response is to stop and put your hands up.

Just give up, pay the fine, and make your apologies so the cops will regain "face" then move on.  

The only smart thing I saw was when the second brother (they're both surnamed Day), unloaded the pistol and threw it down.  Don't give cops a reason to shoot you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, george said:

VIDEO:

Note the newscaster says "Farang again" and the word Farang is the video title.

Why is the lady in the video yelling "You stop. She has gun, she has gun". Is the cop a ladyboy? To me he looks like a man.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Had they done this on other South East  Asian countries not so lucky 

Philippines would of been dead 

Thai police seem to be useless ,maybe they were trained in the UK 

Theyll need to swat  up on misgendering blokes so they can call it  hate  crime to do that.

The reason for wantng to stop the two foreign motorcyclists was speeding and not keeping to the left .

The police would be able give out a ticket every second of every day if that rule were enforced.

Obviously the two foreigners were being targeted for making hay.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If the newscaster had used the word "Khon Tang Chat" would it have made a lick of difference? Yes, the guy who attacked the woman in the supermarket, the "kicking" incident involving David, and now this all involved Caucasians, but they were all also foreigners. There's little reason to believe that the use of the word "farang" wasn't colloquial shorthand for "foreigner" and attempts to stir up racial resentment by inferring a racial connotation to the word "farang" in this environment are disappointing.

@BritManToo

There were absolutely no racist undertones to the newscast. Yes, the newscasters expressed shock and dismay at footage showing two brawny foreigners disarming and putting a traffic cop in a head lock, but what the heck do you expect? Giggling, laughter, and high-fives? 

I'm guessing your Thai language skills ain't that good, 'cos this newsreader was definitely a racist.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, quake said:

If that had been in the uk.

The cops would have pulled a Ham Sandwich from there pockets and asked the guys,  if they were hungry.

and maybe,  in the next month can you produce your documents at the local police station, if is ok with you.

Dont be so stupid, they would  have had special training to deal with  the Muslim minority and lack of cultural etiquette. Ham sandwiches tsk tsk tsk 

That said you have a "producer" and a few  days to do it a  much more sensible civilised  option. I rarely  carry a driving licence, for various reasons, they can arrest me and someone can go get it for me if required

• Haha 1

Attempting to evade the police does not seem to be a crime here in Thailand, nor does fleeing from the scene of a crime. However attacking a policeman is a completely different story, and attempting to grab the firearm of a policeman is a whole different level of silliness and not something any rational person does. Hopefully these guys will be arrested, charged and locked up for a very long time. 

Is Phuket now the new Pattaya, in terms of attracting lowlife expats? It used to be Samui. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

According to initial reports on NZ news the two claim the Police officer attempted to attack them and they acted in Self Defence.

Either way, those guys will not see day light again for a long time, right or wrong, you don't attack a Thai police

person and worse of all, take his gun....Here's the link to the NZ Herald article...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwis-hamish-day-and-oscar-day-arrested-in-thailand-accused-of-attacking-local-police-officer-and-snatching-gun/XYNVYQOSX5EZ7OJ4NZ2AN2BCS4/

There are no excuses. And the NZs will have many... Didn't know we had to stop, didn't understand the offices commands, felt threatened, blah blah blah... You failed to stop, and when you did the cops were pissed, things got heated (no doubt)... And then the assault on a police officer, taking his weapon. Anyone willing to confront law enforcement at this level deserves the maximum punishment. You don't need to like the police, but if Thailand doesn't get a handle on this soon, something far worse is likely to happen (eventually). Sadly, you can now expect far less gracious behavior from Thai police towards foreigners. You want western style law enforcement, well that's what you will get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milesinnz said:

mmm.... you think disarming Police in a Western country is a good idea and acceptable - or only as a foreigner in a SE Asia country ? ... you think this would lead to a good outcome in say the USA ??

Several incidents over the years of Thai cops going on a shooting spree, id take the word  "cops" here very lightly, better off  calling it an organised mafia

13 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Whatever anyone wants to believe was the cause, whether justified or corrupt, if a police officer draws his gun, the reasonable response is to stop and put your hands up.

Just give up, pay the fine, and make your apologies so the cops will regain "face" then move on.  

The only smart thing I saw was when the second brother (they're both surnamed Day), unloaded the pistol and threw it down.  Don't give cops a reason to shoot you.

That makes me think did the cop pull the gun on them? 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Attempting to evade the police does not seem to be a crime here in Thailand, nor does fleeing from the scene of a crime. However attacking a policeman is a completely different story, and attempting to grab the firearm of a policeman is a whole different level of silliness and not something any rational person does. Hopefully these guys will be arrested, charged and locked up for a very long time. 

Whether its smart or not, it depends on the actions of the cop whether it is justified, are you saying cops get to do whatever they want and you just have to take it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I don't think it helped doing the Haka before attacking the policeman, waving a wad of Thai Baht usually works better than sticking your tongue out at a Thai cop. 😕

Agree, and the 'slit the throat thing' really seals the deal. Didn,t help they werenot "All Blacks"! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

According to initial reports on NZ news the two claim the Police officer attempted to attack them and they acted in Self Defence.

Probably spot on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Look, a couple of real knuckleheads, possibly heading for monkey town and then deportation.

RE: Two foreigners on motorbikes did not follow the traffic laws, not riding close to the left side of the road and riding at high speed in a community area,

But, give me a break, don't thousands of Thais do this every day in Thailand.

IMHO, the cops thought a few Baht from these lawbreaking Farangs to supplement their daily intake.

Little did they know they were going to encounter two crazy NZ morons off their frigging heads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Getting both sides of the story is irrelevant, the police represent the state and have power, they are foreigners and have none. If they are hoping for an unbiased trial western style they are in for a big disappointment, what they did was foolish in the extreme. Refusing to stop was arrogant and things escalated from there, the RTP can't let this go, the loss of face alone was enormous, they are bound to be locked up for years.

Unless, they have A LOT of money they're in it up to their necks...