Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

They have made their bed, and now get to sleep in it for a very long time. Think this takes NZ to the top of the madness list by far. Not even the back kicking Swiss guy stands a chance.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

I was replying to your comment because it does seem odd that someone (Not CCTV) was taking a video of the situation, and from what has been said already, it would "appear that" that person is another cop, and I was implying that if it was,why didn't he jump in to help? 

I already said that the vdo looks like some amateur civilian hiding from possibly getting shot using their phone camera. I'll withdraw that if it is claimed by the cops that they took it. IMO if it was a cop the assailant was lucky to not be shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

They have made their bed, and now get to sleep in it for a very long time. Think this takes NZ to the top of the madness list by far. Not even the back kicking Swiss guy stands a chance.

Yes the Kiwis, Russians and Brits top 3. The Swiss are down below the Americans.

I'm not a law expert but pretty sure the self defense excuse doesn't come into play if you're dealing with police. They should've just stopped and cooperated, probably would have a different outcome. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

I was replying to your comment because it does seem odd that someone (Not CCTV) was taking a video of the situation, and from what has been said already, it would "appear that" that person is another cop, and I was implying that if it was,why didn't he jump in to help? 

I was thinking its a civilian tbh, but I don't know, if the video started from exactly the point we see which is might not it seems they are coming out to see what was going on (probably hearing shouting and the scuffle) which is why the other guy tries to explain.

3 minutes ago, ryandb said:

It may end one way, but they you give a different outcome.... Again it comes down to what took place before, would you have blamed a Jew from fighting back with a Police officer in the 40s? How about a woman being sexually assaulted by a cop?

Cops aren't Gods, just because they wear a costume does not mean they are untouchable. 

They may not be gods, but In Thailand they can shoot a miscreant

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, superal said:

If a loaded cocked gun was held to your head , what would you do ?  I agree not to argue with the Thai cops , pay the money and go but all the circumstances are not known in this case , only the wrestling at the end with the Thai cop losing the loaded gun . The entire event needs to be shown on their cop video but if not available then its their words against the cops and there is only one outcome .

I've had a gun held to my temple. I Immediately (deleted) myself, grabbed the barrel, pushed it away and started apologizing profusely as I backed away. The prick thought he had had a major win, but I later got to see him carried away by his extremities by 4 policeman.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Yeah, so scared they didn't run off, just decided to hang out with the cop after the wrestling match to chat about it. 😂

I believe there were other cops turning up , so no escape , if that was ever on their minds .

20 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Well, you were replying to my comment so I stuck to the parameters of what I said.

But talking about who was taking the video and trying to guess their state of mind is conjecture and does not add anything to the story right now, once they make a statement or their statement is released then that will enlighten us.

"But talking about who was taking the video and trying to guess their state of mind is conjecture" - WRONG!:- 

"the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

To repeat myself, if the person taking the video was another cop (See above!) why didn't he/she jump in and help? I guess it was to make sure that they had enough incriminating evidence on the pair of Kiwis.

But I also would like to see any video evidence of the original roadstop.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I've had a gun held to my temple. I Immediately (deleted) myself, grabbed the barrel, pushed it away and started apologizing profusely as I backed away. The prick thought he had had a major win, but I later got to see him carried away by his extremities by 4 policeman.

No proof that the 2 NZ guys were guilty from the shown videos but knowing the way things work in Thailand , I would have paid the fine and been on my way . Even if  Innocent . Life is cheap here in Thailand .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, rct99q said:

On a side note have not met too many NZ'ers here however the few I have met were quite pleasant. But judging from some of the posters in this thread it appears they do not have a very good reputation. Go figure.

You are more likely to only meet the pleasant ones in Thailand. The unpleasant ones have no problem getting it for free in NZ, so why would they go to Thailand? They'd likely have zero interest in temples.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

"But talking about who was taking the video and trying to guess their state of mind is conjecture" - WRONG!:- 

"the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

To repeat myself, if the person taking the video was another cop (See above!) why didn't he/she jump in and help? I guess it was to make sure that they had enough incriminating evidence on the pair of Kiwis.

But I also would like to see any video evidence of the original roadstop.

Yes guessing the state of mind is by definition conjecture as we do not know it!!

Ah I missed the recorded by the police, but it still doesn't change what the video shows which is the only evidence at this time but very weird if that was a cop why exactly they didn't draw their weapon (assuming they were carrying) especially when once the guy took possession of it.

Edited by ryandb

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Yes...totally....most UFC Fighters, Muay Thai etc, are extremely angry violent people who simply love to fight. Listen to interviews with many that are successful. Like Fedor, his mother said that when he was a kid he loved to fight. Maybe time to review this Muay Thai thing and all the dumb 'Visas' that go along with it.

Thanks Rex 

Is it this Tiger muay Thai school who trained these guys?

I hope these guys can get some anger management help.

9 minutes ago, rct99q said:

Really thought this was a joke at first glance. Silly thing to do.

However from my neck of the woods it would be the first time ever police have ever pulled someone over for riding to far from the curb and speeding.

Lots of follow up posts on here claiming police officer did not play by the rule book, which is the norm up in my neck of the woods. 

I have noticed an uptick in check stops the last two weeks. Most of last year, Jan, Feb hardly saw a one on my daily commute to my daughter's school. This month, everyday. 

Made a note to myself to get back into Thai response mode, accept, be polite and move on.

On a side note have not met too many NZ'ers here however the few I have met were quite pleasant. But judging from some of the posters in this thread it appears they do not have a very good reputation. Go figure.

I like Kiwi's (much better than Aussies generally) have worked with them all over the world.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

???????????????

The vdo looks like a phone camera vdo being taken by a civilian that was hiding from possibly being attacked, or shot.

Looks to me the cop was on his own, and the other cops turned up after it was over.

How does discharging a weapon render it harmless? One removes the magazine and the chambered round to make a gun harmless, not firing a bullet which might ricochet and injure a bystander.

Whether he threatened them or not is irrelevant. If one is a visitor in a country which isn't populated by the woke and with an ineffectual police force like back home ( where I have seen the cops laughed at because the scum thugs know that the cops are ineffectual and won't do anything about it ), one doesn't attack the cops after evading a traffic stop and breaking traffic laws, unless they want to be in strife. The guy attacking the cop was lucky not to be shot.

I've seen plenty like them in Pattaya where they hire a large m'bike and speed as if they own the road. They don't impress me in the slightest.

I just hope the NZ government doesn't waste any effort trying to get them off.

"The vdo looks like a phone camera vdo being taken by a civilian that was hiding from possibly being attacked, or shot."

No, sorry, but it does say in the article:- 

"...the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police.

1 minute ago, superal said:

I believe there were other cops turning up , so no escape , if that was ever on their minds .

There is also evidence on the cops phone of the NZs trying to bribe their way out of the final stop, and eye witnesses at the noodle shop where the final stop occured. Hamish and Oscar did a stupid thing and will face consequences. That is a near certainty. As it should be. Should have just obligated the original traffic stop. Everyone knows those stop points are designed to sweep in as many as possible. But they also let go as many as they fine.