Checking into a Hotel without my Passport

Danderman123

On 3/20/2024 at 8:56 AM, Danderman123 said:

I am sending off my passport for renewal, a process that will take weeks.

So, if I should want to check in at a hotel, what are my options?

I will have photocopies of my non-O visa, my entry stamp, and the photo page of the passport, is that enough?

Any other ideas?

That's all they need for the TM 30.

I give hotels a photo copy. (I rarely carry a passport in Thailand.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Photo copy works every time, but pink card is 50/50. 

Never works on 5 star hotels, or the bigger chains

don't agree. I've checked into several 5 star hotels throughout Thailand over the years using my pink ID card. Never had an issue. Plus I always have my Thai driver's license with me as backup in case they won't accept the pink ID card.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Your drivers class is acceptable as it has all the nessacery information, including your passport number 

But not your current visa status.

Hotel staff usually go straight for your latest stamp hoping to find you on overstay.

500 baht for grassing you up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Your drivers class is acceptable as it has all the nessacery information, including your passport number 

Except sometimes it still has the number of the old (expired) passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:01 AM, flyingtlger said:

If you have a Thai DL, that should suffice.

Depending on the hotel, I've never had any problems with just a photo copy of my PP....

The Nana Hotel in Bangkok will not accept DL, only passport. There is the very odd hotel where only a passport will do.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

But it makes sense to have one's passport in back pocket - particularly for banking transactions and maybe encounters with the constabulary.

Encounters with the constabulary if you're likely to act suspiciously owing to those benzos in your pocket, or may face possible arrest for whatever reason. Having the PP will then save you a bit of inconvenience. 

Particular banking transactions, and may depend partly on whether the account was opened using your pink card + passport. I can withdraw money over the counter w/ pink card and bankbook.

But let's stay on topic, please. We may already have triggered some of our anti-pink card fanatics.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

I never knew that but it does have my passport number listed as ID No. I presume a pink card does as well.

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

No.

My two DLs issued December 2023 have my (pink non-Thai) ID card number, not my passport number.

Regardless of that fact, a DL shows nothing re visa status, so no 'necessary information'.

13 hours ago, jayboy said:

But it makes sense to have one's passport in back pocket - particularly for banking transactions and maybe encounters with the constabulary.

But that would not, I think, be necessary if the pink ID card included the most vital piece of personal information relating to foreigners here in Thailand - namely the date when their current permission to stay expired.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

But that would not, I think, be necessary if the pink ID card included the most vital piece of personal information relating to foreigners here in Thailand - namely the date when their current permission to stay expired.

That piece of information isn't required for the purpose of verifying identity.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

That piece of information isn't required for the purpose of verifying identity.

This topic is about checking into a hotel without a passport.

Have you used your pink card for that purpose?

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

This topic is about checking into a hotel without a passport.

Have you used your pink card for that purpose?

Try to keep up.

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

So would you need a new pink card every year for your extension to be up to date?

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:16 AM, jayboy said:

On this forum there is a small but vocal minority which is triggered by any suggestion that the pink card is less than every farang's dream of unqualified acceptance into this demi paradise, Thailand.

The truth is rather more mundane.The pink card is quite useful and increasingly so.But it is not 100% reliable even for internal airtravel and certainly for banking transactions.It is however gradually becoming more accepted and is now risk free for hotel check ins.But it makes sense to have one's passport in back pocket - particularly for banking transactions and maybe encounters with the constabulary.

You contradict yourself here, pink ID card is useful but makes sense to carry passport.......begs the question - what's the point?

For the majority of long timers going to banks these days is seldom required / certificates of Res few and far between / hit or miss whether accepted at hotel check ins / no discount for those that moan over dual pricing at certain places, totally pointless IMO.

Some wear it as a badge of honour which is somewhat pathetic.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

You contradict yourself here, pink ID card is useful but makes sense to carry passport.......begs the question - what's the point?

There is no contradiction as would have been clear to those who read the post carefully.

The Pink Card is definitely becoming better accepted and it is Government Policy to encourage its use (so I was told by a senior Immigration official)

After a time one gathers a sense of where are the risk areas.I never carry my passport now when checking into hotels; the Pink Card seems to be accepted everywhere.

I wouldn't yet rely on the Pink Card for any kind of bank transaction.

Ideally the PInk Card format would be updated and improved to hold more information.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Transport office, if you have a yellow house book you cannot transfer ownership of a motorbike or car without having a pink card, as I found out 2 weeks ago when buying and selling a motorbike. 

Bit off topic I know.

Edited by roo860

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

A typical fantasy characteristic of our victims of PCDS (Pink Card Derangement Syndrome). Let's try to stay on topic. That hotels often do accept pink cards for check in is a fact. And I always use mine nowadays. It IS one of several methods. You may state your method and begone.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

A typical fantasy characteristic of our victims of PCDS (Pink Card Derangement Syndrome). Let's try to stay on topic. That hotels often do accept pink cards for check in is a fact. And I always use mine nowadays. It IS one of several methods. You may state your method and begone.

Pink ID cards are only useable in the area they were issued, nothing else, unless something has changed..

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

For the majority of long timers going to banks these days is seldom required / certificates of Res few and far between / hit or miss whether accepted at hotel check ins / no discount for those that moan over dual pricing at certain places, totally pointless IMO.

Only because you ain't got one...........🤭

1 minute ago, transam said:

Pink ID cards are only useable in the area they were issued, nothing else, unless something has changed..

No, you're probably confusing with a DL issued on basis of yellow book/pink card as proof of residence. That's actually a myth that's been debunked in a recent pink card thread.

I've used mine in different areas, though if I'm traveling by plane, or traveling far upcountry, I have a PP w/ me anyway. Others may give their experience.

Last month, bangkok hotel wrote down my visa expiry date (obviously from passport).

I got a deep wai and an oooooooh! when they spotted it had a 5 year expiry  ...and a room upgrade too 😋

57 minutes ago, transam said:

Only because you ain't got one...........🤭

Yip.

I have managed to figure out they're a total waste of time.

I guess you have one tho - lol, which does not surprise me.

You'll be one of the 'wai'ing brigade as well no doubt....

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Yip.

I have managed to figure out they're a total waste of time.

I guess you have one tho - lol, which does not surprise me.

You'll be one of the 'wai'ing brigade as well no doubt....

How do you know they are a waste of time if you have never had one...

Yes, I have one, something in my arsenal that cost nothing.

Just like the yellow book, a really good piece of kit.

I Wai whenever appropriate, of course you don't, but to be expected from someone who understands little.....:unsure:

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

No, you're probably confusing with a DL issued on basis of yellow book/pink card as proof of residence. That's actually a myth that's been debunked in a recent pink card thread.

I've used mine in different areas, though if I'm traveling by plane, or traveling far upcountry, I have a PP w/ me anyway. Others may give their experience.

Have a read of the back of a pink ID card....😋