Checking into a Hotel without my Passport

Danderman123

37 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Yip.

I have managed to figure out they're a total waste of time.

I guess you have one tho - lol, which does not surprise me.

You'll be one of the 'wai'ing brigade as well no doubt....

saved my queuing and time many times, from getting additional papers every time for official services, buying cars, motorbikes, emigration, departure and arrival from abroad. For hotels, I stopped trying using my pink card and driving license. When stay 50+ days on hotel  year in Thailand it is to many miss than hit. 

20 minutes ago, transam said:

How do you know they are a waste of time if you have never had one.

based on what i read here with people complaining they're not accepted at hotels etc - lol

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, I have one, something in my arsenal that cost nothing.

thought you would, in a year how often do you remove this from your arsenal to use for something that a DL could not be used for?

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Just like the yellow book, a really good piece of kit.

hahahahah

22 minutes ago, transam said:

I Wai whenever appropriate, of course you don't, but to be expected from someone who understands little

hahahaha, is it when you produce your Pink ID card or yellow book on the one or two occasions it's needed.

You're funny, i like your patter.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

based on what i read here with people complaining they're not accepted at hotels etc - lol

thought you would, in a year how often do you remove this from your arsenal to use for something that a DL could not be used for?

hahahahah

hahahaha, is it when you produce your Pink ID card or yellow book on the one or two occasions it's needed.

You're funny, i like your patter.

Pointless telling someone like you the plusses, as you probably don't have the gumption to acquire the mentioned items anyway, eh......................🤭

• Agree 1

Just now, transam said:

Pointless telling someone like you the plusses, as you probably don't have the gumption to acquire the mentioned items anyway, eh......................🤭

haha, so you admit there's no plusses?

quality

see ya tranny.

• Sad 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, Hummin said:
On 3/21/2024 at 8:26 AM, Andycoops said:

I just show my pink ID card.

Haven't shown a passport checking into a hotel in years here.

That depending on the hotel being serious about doing their duty registrering foreigners who check in. Many guesthouses and resorts only bothering checking in wife if she is with me. Also travelling countryside they really do not care much

Stayed at decent hotelsl... Centra / Marriotts etc... they're ok with the Pink ID... but thats a somewhat moot point if the Op doesn't have one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

haha, so you admit there's no plusses?

quality

see ya tranny.

You know I never said that, but that's OK, the readers understand...🤭

1 hour ago, transam said:

Pink ID cards are only useable in the area they were issued, nothing else, unless something has changed..

Theoretically...    yet they have worked all over Thailand for checking in for flights and hotels... So the 'geographical limitation' while correct is not an issue (until it is of course).

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:
57 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Yip.

I have managed to figure out they're a total waste of time.

I guess you have one tho - lol, which does not surprise me.

You'll be one of the 'wai'ing brigade as well no doubt....

saved my queuing and time many times, from getting additional papers every time for official services, buying cars, motorbikes, emigration, departure and arrival from abroad. For hotels, I stopped trying using my pink card and driving license. When stay 50+ days on hotel  year in Thailand it is to many miss than hit. 

Ignore him... idiots don't know they are idiots and there is simply no point in engaging with them whatsoever. 

Pink ID has plenty of uses, but thats not the subject. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ignore him... idiots don't know they are idiots and there is simply no point in engaging with them whatsoever. 

Pink ID has plenty of uses, but thats not the subject. 

Hey Dicky, another comedian joins the party, what fun.

Are you well?

Hotels take your passport and photocopy the picture page. Just cut out that step and give them a photocopy. Perhaps keep one copy for yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Have a read of the back of a pink ID card....😋

Yawn. As I noted, and you ignored, I've used it in various provinces around Thailand for checking into hotels. So I'll just continue doing so, even though you may think it doesn't work.

The OP may of course call the hotel of interest and see if a pink card will be accepted before he attempts to check in. Will that be a problem for you?

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

Some real uninformed, inexperienced replies ...

... I only use my Pink ID, and it has been accepted EVERYWHERE in TH.

Real life experience vs barstool BS :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, jayboy said:

The Pink Card is definitely becoming better accepted and it is Government Policy to encourage its use (so I was told by a senior Immigration official)

About time, considering they have been around forever. And by the way, on the back it says it is NOT an ID card.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

About time, considering they have been around forever. And by the way, on the back it says it is NOT an ID card.

It's amusing, but predictable, how so many posters revel in the satisfaction of using a DL over an utterly useless pink card, but no one ever cares in the slightest that a DL isn't an ID card. No one cares that using a copy of a passport isn't using the passport itself. It's ONLY the use of pink card that gets our knickers all in a twist. Now why is that?

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yawn. As I noted, and you ignored, I've used it in various provinces around Thailand for checking into hotels. So I'll just continue doing so, even though you may think it doesn't work.

The OP may of course call the hotel of interest and see if a pink card will be accepted before he attempts to check in. Will that be a problem for you?

Eeeer, I don't care where you have used the pink ID card, I pointed out that on the back of the card only for use in the area it was obtained.

I am I correct or not, YES or NO will do.....

Of course, my translation skills may be questionable, so what does it say on the back of yours, or anybody who can read it...........🤭

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 12:10 AM, KhunLA said:

Some real uninformed, inexperienced replies ...

... I only use my Pink ID, and it has been accepted EVERYWHERE in TH.

Real life experience vs barstool BS :coffee1:

Quite agree the BS about it only being accepted in your locale is just that. 

I've used mine from Chiang Mai all the way to Phuket and in the places in between without the blink of a eye from any place I have presented it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/23/2024 at 9:28 AM, transam said:

Eeeer, I don't care where you have used the pink ID card, I pointed out that on the back of the card only for use in the area it was obtained.

Of course, my translation skills may be questionable, so what does it say on the back of yours, or anybody who can read it...........🤭

You are correct in what is stated on the Pink ID itself. 

However, real world experience contradicts the statement and the Pink ID is widely accepted throughout Thailand for checking into hotels and flights regardless of area of issue.

The debate is entirely moot.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:28 AM, transam said:

There is an exemption written on the card, if you have a signature of some kind?

2 out of 3 accepted the pink card, but the 3. A 5 star resort wanted my passport as useal. 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

There is an exemption written on the card, if you have a signature of some kind?

2 out of 3 accepted the pink card, but the 3. A 5 star resort wanted my passport as useal. 

Yep, I think I am saying I would not rely on the pink card if I was not in my area...It would be embarrassing being told to go away....😋

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Mileage obviously varies...     

I never want to travel outside of my province without my Passport anyway (for obvious reasons)... but its in my bag, so when checking in for a domestic flight or a Hotel, I just use the Pink ID and have never had an issue (places such as the Marriott / InterCon / Standard etc and some crappier places).... 

IF the hotel actually wanted to see my Passport it wouldn't be much hassle at all to retrieve it from my bag.

In the Ops case - IF he 'NEEDS' to travel without his passport and use his Pink ID instead, there is a possibility he could face some sort of brick-wall, but thats unlikely, especially if he also has a photocopy of his passport. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the Ops case - IF he 'NEEDS' to travel without his passport and use his Pink ID instead, there is a possibility he could face some sort of brick-wall, but thats unlikely, especially if he also has a photocopy of his passport. 

The OP does not have a Pink Card. If I did, the topic would be called "Checking into a Hotel with a Pink Card?"

Edited by Danderman123

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The OP does not have a Pink Card. If I did, the topic would be called "Checking into a Hotel with a Pink Card?"

Fair point....   This is what comes of replying to posts which have been taken off topic. 

In your situation - I think calling ahead to the hotel to 'double check' that they'll allow you to check in without a Passport, but with a PhotoCopy or Photo of it is going to be the best option. 

A pertinent question was asked earlier on, I'm not sure if you gave an answer: 

On 3/21/2024 at 7:42 AM, DrJack54 said:

Which country has you send in your passport for renewal purposes. 

'Most countries' do no require you to relinquish your passport during the renewal process when overseas as they recognise that local laws require you to have your passport at hand as ID purposes and thus your existing passport remains valid until the new one is handed over....  

For example: with the UK Passport the corner is clipped off the old passport.

Thus: @Danderman123 - have you double checked that your passport will be held onto during the renewal process ???

or, are you using an agent etc who takes the passport etc.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:20 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Theoretically...    yet they have worked all over Thailand for checking in for flights and hotels... So the 'geographical limitation' while correct is not an issue (until it is of course).

Have you flown domestically since late January?   The CAAT issued an edict that passports would now be required for domestic travel by foreigners but I don't know whether anything has actually changed in real life.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, treetops said:
On 3/22/2024 at 4:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Have you flown domestically since late January?   The CAAT issued an edict that passports would now be required for domestic travel by foreigners but I don't know whether anything has actually changed in real life.

No, I haven't....  But thats a very good point. 

+1

13 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Quite agree the BS about it only being accepted in your locale is just that. 

I've used mine from Chiang Mai all the way to Phuket and in the places in between without the blink of a eye from any place I have presented it.

Buying ice cream, paying for petrol, showing it to the lady in the toll kiosk..... all those important things! They likely think it is a LGBTQWS membership card!

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair point....   This is what comes of replying to posts which have been taken off topic. 

In your situation - I think calling ahead to the hotel to 'double check' that they'll allow you to check in without a Passport, but with a PhotoCopy or Photo of it is going to be the best option. 

A pertinent question was asked earlier on, I'm not sure if you gave an answer: 

'Most countries' do no require you to relinquish your passport during the renewal process when overseas as they recognise that local laws require you to have your passport at hand as ID purposes and thus your existing passport remains valid until the new one is handed over....  

For example: with the UK Passport the corner is clipped off the old passport.

Thus: @Danderman123 - have you double checked that your passport will be held onto during the renewal process ???

or, are you using an agent etc who takes the passport etc.

Yes.

USA requires surrendering the old passport during the renewal process.