Checking into a Hotel without my Passport

Danderman123

I am sending off my passport for renewal, a process that will take weeks.

So, if I should want to check in at a hotel, what are my options?

I will have photocopies of my non-O visa, my entry stamp, and the photo page of the passport, is that enough?

Any other ideas?

I went through this in Vietnam while my passport was waiting at the Chinese embassy for a visa. No problem getting rooms with photocopies.

Some touts which we were ignoring killed a couple of hotels by saying we had no passports but when going to a hotel cold no issues at all. We were moving almost daily doing halong bay, etc while the passports were in Hanoi. 

• Like 2

Copies of passport main page and latest extension/admitted stamp should do it.

Should: never tried but that is what the hotels need to identify and report. 

As we are in Thailand some hotels don't take it too serious.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I am sending off my passport for renewal, a process that will take weeks.

So, if I should want to check in at a hotel, what are my options?

I will have photocopies of my non-O visa, my entry stamp, and the photo page of the passport, is that enough?

Any other ideas?

Take your pink Thai Id card

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Your drivers class is acceptable as it has all the nessacery information, including your passport number 

Mine usually worked, but keep in mind his DL will no longer have his current PP number if he has sent the PP off for a renewal.  I don't know if that affects anything, but it's worth knowing. 

Edit: You never know when they may upgrade the system to flag a bad PP number upon check in.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mbaki said:

If your using your pink card, then it’s not utterly useless is it 😉

A few got there before me. Sarcasm.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The hotel may want to check you do have a current permission of stay, which is not apparent on a driving licence. They also should be submitting a TM30 for you, which may too require some details not on the driving licence.

All possibly true.  That said, my DL worked most of the time anyway.  It shouldn't have, but it did.

Edit I wonder if the hotels are penalized if they have guests on overstay.  Are they really responsible for checking, just curious, or wannabe Kojaks?

Edited by impulse

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Edit I wonder if the hotels are penalized if they have guests on overstay.  Are they really responsible for checking, just curious, or wannabe Kojaks?

I was more cynical perhaps thinking hotel staff could get a kickback from reporting overstayers to immigration!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was more cynical perhaps thinking hotel staff could get a kickback from reporting overstayers to immigration!

Coming to a town near you soon !

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That was one of my thoughts, too.  If I was the czar of Thai immigration, I'd offer a reward to alert hoteliers.  Maybe a percentage of the overstay fine...

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

Mine usually worked, but keep in mind his DL will no longer have his current PP number if he has sent the PP off for a renewal.  I don't know if that affects anything, but it's worth knowing. 

Edit: You never know when they may upgrade the system to flag a bad PP number upon check in.

Yea , that's a good, point. and good to  keep in mind

We drive around Thailand all the time, and stay in places overnight, most of the time my wife makes the reservations and they don't even ask for nothing. We just came back from CM where we stayed at a very nice place a couple of days. I showed them nothing. 

But I always keep  pictures of my passport in my phone, and i think my wife might have a couple of pictures in her wallet .

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Which country has you send in your passport for renewal purposes. 

The USA for one (you get back the new passport and expired "punched" passport).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I just show my pink ID card.

Haven't shown a passport checking into a hotel in years here.

That depending on the hotel being serious about doing their duty registrering foreigners who check in. Many guesthouses and resorts only bothering checking in wife if she is with me. Also travelling countryside they really do not care much

• Like 1