Smelly Bathroom in a rented condo

Hello

Anyone have any issues staying in rented condo's,  where the bathroom smells like a sewage ?

If so,  how you managed to get rid of the smell ?  and where the smell come from ?  Drainage Pipes, toilets,  showers etc.

Was just going to say the same. I am not renting, but my condo bathroom also had smell, which could get quite intense.

There were 2 problems, however - one was broken/missing seals under the toilet bowl, and the second, as mentioned above, was smell from the drain pipes, which silicone plugs, cheaply available in Lazada sorted.

Last thing could be any mould, or residue on floor which emits smell when wet. So scrubbing floors and maybe running some disinfectant (I know Dettol has sprays that became popular during pandemic) could also fix that.

Lastly, some of my neighbours complained of smelly water from showers, which was apparently addressed by replacing shower hoses.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A bottle of 'pine o clean' is a short term fix. 

Check with landlord, ask them about it.  You may be lucky and they might even care. 

In addition to the previous post, check those p or s traps. If you have them, they may do with a clean out.  Hair and scum block up rather quickly.  Esp in the shower if your missus has long hair. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Normally comes from shower drain, I have one of these 'Top Hat' traps fitted,

( I have heard a tennis ball works as a quick fix, floats up when draining rolls back after)

IMG_20240127_102453.thumb.jpg.03652c02dcb3e6cbb5e2ddbfff08e916.jpg

You have to keep those topped up with water if it has evaporated.

It could be you are getting air blowback from elsewhere too. In which case replace the drain with a trap door type, you can buy a trap door thingy to fit those drains, though you will have to unscrew the cup off your cover...

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

It could be you are getting air blowback from elsewhere too. In which case replace the drain with a trap door type, you can buy a trap door thingy to fit those drains, though you will have to unscrew the cup off your cover...

Is someone confused, do you need help.........🤗

1 minute ago, transam said:

They are kept 'topped' up every time you take a shower. 

Just now, brianthainess said:

They are kept 'topped' up every time you take a shower. 

Indeed, but if it is hot, it evaporates, my downstairs loo needs topping up...........😉

• Confused 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

You need to take showers more often if yours is evaporating :whistling:

We don't use the downstairs WC for showers, but it has a floor drain.......🙄

I have given 2 possible reasons regarding smells, how about you...?  😉

I have seen all of the following problems:

• Dried out P-traps
  • Lack of wax seal under toilet
  • Septic tank not having been cleaned for years
  • Septic tank intake pipes near condo window without any air admittance valves (so fumes would exit from these pipes)
  • Wrongly connected pipes, like bathroom ventilation pipe connected to the septic tank venting pipe system
  • Bad seals on venting pipes (in Thailand plumbing is often just put together with a bit of silicone)

It seems to be a common problem. I once had a yoga class where sewage smell made its entry, and the Thai teacher said “like this everywhere in Thailand”.

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

( I have heard a tennis ball works as a quick fix, floats up when draining rolls back after)

Just now, Jorn T said:

The problem is that they do not install venting, all plumbing for sewage and grey water should be vented to the exterior, roof,by installing traps and teed into a venting pipe, but they seldom do. By teeing in to venting ting pipe 2" you will also have better drain flow. Methane sewage gas is detrimental to your health.

20 hours ago, transam said:

We don't use the downstairs WC for showers, but it has a floor drain.......🙄

I have given 2 possible reasons regarding smells, how about you...?  😉

The OP was about a rented condo, I know the reasons and I gave my humble advice, on how to stop the smell, how about you what advise did you give? just stories of your downstairs bathroom.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The OP was about a rented condo, I know the reasons and I gave my humble advice, on how to stop the smell, how about you what advise did you give? just stories of your downstairs bathroom.

Oh dear, oh dear.....I must be honest, I don't like replying to you with tech because you don't understand anything, you just like to dig, but, just for you, and the OP, I will explain in a little more depth, but, if you need any more help after, then forget it, it will be beyond you...🤨

In LOS the use of a waste water pressure relief is a bit sketchy, back home it was done automatically in the residence build.

When water runs down the waste pipe it pushes the air in front of it, that pressure must go somewhere, taking the smelly air with it. If the system has been well thought out, there will be no problem, but if not, or if a partial blockage of some sort, even that can cause a smell backlash.

So it depends on a few things, especially in a condo if all the residences drainage is connected, will be difficult to pinpoint.

In the OP's case, I would fit one of these, no more smells, the flap opens with the weight of water, then closes automatically by a counterweight, no water buffer, a stainless steel flap/gate...

But before that, poor a gallon of bleach down the waste pipe, it does help, might even clear a partial blockage........😉

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/en/product/ตะแกรงกันกลิ่น-เหลี่ยม-ท่อ-2-3-นิ้ว-HAFELE-รุ่น-48561218-ขนาด-10-ซม-สีสเตนเลส-60335378

Edited by transam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have used to good effect Baking Soda. Just sprinkle it around and into the various drains, shower and floor drains, kitchen and bathroom sinks. Let it sit for a while then a pour a little bit of water to get the powder down into the drain. You may have to do this for a few days but you should notice a difference after a few days.  I’ve used this method in many places, both Thailand and Hong Kong and it has worked for me. Baking soda is a cheaper fix than bleach, disinfectant etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:50 PM, bondjames007 said:

Hello

Anyone have any issues staying in rented condo's,  where the bathroom smells like a sewage ?

If so,  how you managed to get rid of the smell ?  and where the smell come from ?  Drainage Pipes, toilets,  showers etc.

Landlord kept throwing draincleaner stuff down to no avail. We moved out after 6 mts. 

On 3/21/2024 at 1:44 PM, brianthainess said:

I am using a mouse mat,floats to let water drain and stops smell when it settles 

• Like 1