60 day tourist visa but got 30 day stamp.

Got a 60 day tourist visa attached in KL on the 19th of March and just flew in to BKK today.

Firstly it is 100% my fault (absolute muppet I am) for not checking the stamp but just got to my hotel now and I see the IO gave me a 30 day Visa exempt stamp... I just assumed handing my passport over on the visa page with the receipt would be enough for her to notice.

Initially I nearly had an aneurism but thinking about it more would this be a viable solution:

Stay 30 days then extend another 30 days. Then leave Thailand for a few days and return to activate the 60 day tourist visa? (clearly stating to the IO that I have a visa in my passport)

The visa sticker stays valid until 18 June 2024 so I assume I'm within the window of validity if I leave Thailand for a few days in 60 days time?

Any feedback welcome Gents.

When it happened to me (when Noah was a lad) I had to go to Bangkok to get it changed.

Mind you, back then, Samui immigration were not the friendliest/most helpful folk and there have been lots of changes to immigration 'local' rules since.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mans-not-hot said:

Thanks fellas for the feedback and suggestions.

I had planned to stay longer anyways so to be honest the possibility of around 150 days Thailand suits me right down to the bone.

Not long ago there was few asking about obtaining an e-Visa and does it work to not show it at immigration when arrive and hopefully be given 30 day stamp (visa exempt entry) 

At some point border bounce and point out the setv for 60 day stamp

Your visa is sticker in pp? 

I wouldn't do as you suggest in your OP..

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not long ago there was few asking about obtaining an e-Visa and does it work to not show it at immigration when arrive and hopefully be given 30 day stamp (visa exempt entry) 

At some point border bounce and point out the setv for 60 day stamp

Your visa is sticker in pp? 

I wouldn't do as you suggest in your OP..

Yes correct visa sticker in the passport.

Probably better to stay on the cautious side of things and will swing past Jomtien immigration and see what fun awaits me.

2 minutes ago, mans-not-hot said:

Probably better to stay on the cautious side of things and will swing past Jomtien immigration and see what fun awaits me.

Thinking that's a good idea and hopefully minimal fuss. 

They should alter your stamp to 60 days and stamp your setv "used" 

After that you can still do your 60 +30(extension) then two border bounce plus extension 60 + 60

210 days

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

You'll easily have your 150 days in Thailand with just one trip out. 60 day tourist visa + 30 days extension then go somewhere a couple days or week then enter 30 day exempt + 30 day extension. Just get to Jomtien to get your first 60 days straightened out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I had  the same happen when I arrived in February except that I have an evisa from London.

Luckily I checked while I was standing at the IO desk at Suvarnabhumi.

I handed my passport back to the officer and said "60 days please" 

He said "it's okay on the system", to which I replied "please change it in case the police stop me" He changed the date to reflect the correct date of April 7th and stamped "TR60" on my boarding pass, and apologised.

I'm keeping said boarding pass AND the evisa printout for when I leave. on April 5th.

Hopefully all will be ok.

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, VBF said:

I had  the same happen when I arrived in February except that I have an evisa from London.

He said "it's okay on the system", to which I replied "please change it in case the police stop me" He changed the date to reflect the correct date of April 7th and stamped "TR60" on my boarding pass, and apologised.

I'm keeping said boarding pass AND the evisa printout for when I leave. on April 5th.

Wow good catch, luckily you managed see the error before leaving the airport!

Yeah sounds like you will be good but they will probably still give you the run around when you leave just for the lols, enjoy the rest of your time in Thailand.

On 3/24/2024 at 8:25 PM, mans-not-hot said:

Jomtien immigration, be prepared for 3 days out of your life. And the Cowboys have supposed to have streamlined things. 😂😅😂swing past definitely ain't happening 😂😅😂

Edited by Toby1947

Problem solved, Jomtien Immigration just said "GO BACK AIRPORT" so a weekend detour in BKK it was. I had no hopes and was preparing my soul for a trip to Chang Watthana.

Tourist police office landside at Suvarnabhumi 2nd floor. Walked in, brief explanation and got my stamp corrected and was in and out in around 30min.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 12:13 PM, mans-not-hot said:
On 3/25/2024 at 8:55 AM, VBF said:

Wow good catch, luckily you managed see the error before leaving the airport!

Yeah sounds like you will be good but they will probably still give you the run around when you leave just for the lols, enjoy the rest of your time in Thailand.

Update (I forgot to do it last week)

Had no problems leaving on April 5th (my "permitted until" date was April 7th)

Presented passport as usual - fingerprints and photos as usual - stamped out - done.