TCC proposes temporary power tariff reduction for Thai households

webfact

image.jpeg

The Consumers Council (TCC) has proposed a temporary reduction in power tariffs to alleviate the financial strain on Thai households during the summer’s peak demand.

This request follows the Energy Regulatory Commission’s (ERC) suggested alterations to the current power rate, which critics argue would not result in cheaper electricity bills.

Critics contend that the ERC’s adjustments primarily aim to lessen or eliminate the debts owed to the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT). This debt arises from the EGAT’s efforts to regulate electricity prices through various subsidies.

The TCC argues that the public should benefit from these adjustments, particularly during the summer when electricity usage typically rises due to the increased use of cooling appliances. The council has suggested that, rather than capping the fuel tariff (Ft), which accounts for changes in fuel prices needed for electricity generation, the government should decrease the power tariff. This would lead to a more effective reduction in electricity bills, according to the TCC.

The TCC has recommended that the power tariff be reduced from 4.18 baht per kilowatt-hour to 3.99 baht per kilowatt-hour between May and August this year. TCC Chairwoman Boonyuen Siritham has stated that the Ft could be reduced if the Ministry of Energy allows the Department of Minerals to increase the production of natural gas in the Gulf of Thailand. This would enable more natural gas to be used for electricity generation.

The TCC has also appealed to the ERC to allow the EGAT to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) for energy production, instead of solely relying on the LNG supplied by PTT Plc, Thailand’s energy conglomerate.

Rosana Tositrakul, a member of TCC’s sub-committee on public services, energy, and the environment, has also called on the government to negotiate a new agreement allowing Thailand to borrow Malaysia’s quota for natural gas production in the joint development area (JDA) for two to three years. She noted that Malaysia has previously borrowed Thailand’s gas quota to meet its domestic needs, reported Bangkok Post.

In addition to these measures, the TCC has requested that authorities introduce improved incentives to encourage more people to install solar panels at home.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-26

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

How do people have a 6100 baht electricity bill?

Home is also used for business... maybe lots of electrical appliances.

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

How do people have a 6100 baht electricity bill?

Easily in April.

Air conditioning, fridge, fridge freezers, freezers, lights, fans. 2 or 3 showers a day, computers TV, security lights etc. A teenage son who has no idea whay an OFF switch looks like or does, doesn't help either. 

My highest bill in the 20 years I have been living here was April 2023 when it reached 7,183 thb.

My lowest for the last 8 years was December 2023 at 2,700 thb. My son has been in Chiang Rai Uni since May last year.

One of the lessons he is learning is how to cope with the cost of living. (I hope).

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Air conditioning, fridge, fridge freezers, freezers, lights, fans. 2 or 3 showers a day, computers TV, security lights etc. A teenage son who has no idea whay an OFF switch looks like or does, doesn't help either. 

I have most of those things as well. Run fans and the computer almost all day. But I don't use a/c during the day. Not even in 40 degree weather. I want to acclimatize to my environment. Walking outside after sheltering in a/c all day is miserable. I only use the a/c around 10 or 11pm and set it at 30 or 31. With fans, it's okay. I do turn off lights and fans when not in use. I don't have any freezers, however, and that's one thing I wish I did have downstairs. Are you using the heat for those showers? Two or three cold showers seem like heaven to me. It's so hot right now, that the cold water is coming out hot. My electric bill is almost always under 1000 baht, often during winter it stays around 750 or so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I have most of those things as well. Run fans and the computer almost all day. But I don't use a/c during the day. Not even in 40 degree weather. I want to acclimatize to my environment. Walking outside after sheltering in a/c all day is miserable. I only use the a/c around 10 or 11pm and set it at 30 or 31. With fans, it's okay. I do turn off lights and fans when not in use. I don't have any freezers, however, and that's one thing I wish I did have downstairs. Are you using the heat for those showers? Two or three cold showers seem like heaven to me. It's so hot right now, that the cold water is coming out hot. My electric bill is almost always under 1000 baht, often during winter it stays around 750 or so.

I have 2 fridge freezers and now only 1 freezer that are running 24/7. There are always fans on 24/7. 2 are wall mounted near my computer desk and are on low until lunchtime. medium until about 4 pm and on high until about 11 pm. According to my little weather station it is 32C indoors and 33.7c outside. At night they go off and I turn on the fan in the bedroom to max and run the a/c for about an hour to cool me down.

The water from the shower comes from my storage ongs which are surface mounted outside and the water is warm to hot by lunchtime and my showers are just above lukewarm, but only once a day as there is a shortage of water here in rural Kamphaeng Phet. I have a 200 litre barrel of water in the shower, but even that is not cold anymore.

• Like 1