I have enjoyed my time in Thailand, but...

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

great post mate!

I really appreciate your input.

Many here think I am a troll. That couldn't be further from the truth. I am just a very disgruntled expat that has been in Thailand way too long and is ready for a new challenge. I am not going home, I am moving on to (hopefully) greener pastures. Only time will tell if that is the case, but one thing is for sure - I have given Thailand my best shot and now it is someone else's turn...

I am cashing in my chips, taking my money and running off into the sunset.

bob.

bob, I don't wanna lose you. Is there anything I can do to change your mind? 💔 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

bob.

Inaction is a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Grow a set and get it done instead of getting on the cans every waking moment and plastering your dribble all over the forum.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Inaction is a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Grow a set and get it done instead of getting on the cans every waking moment and plastering your dribble all over the forum.

my flights are booked!

that's all you need to know, Ralfy boy!

where and when I go is my business.

bob.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, and have been to Bangkok and other cities north, south and west, and some beaches.

Thailand is for couples and singles. It isnt a good place to have kids.

• Like 1

my flights are booked!

that's all you need to know, Ralfy boy!

where and when I go is my business.

bob.

Enjoy the Philippines

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

if I had my time again I don't think I would have chosen here.

There are many better places to live and make money,

places where you arent treated with suspicion and/or a potential criminal because you are a foreigner.

There are easier places to get PR or become a citizen,

Thailand makes this extraordinarily difficult for the average farang, and they know it!

it's like them dangling a sweet carrot in front of our noses and they enjoy watching us suffer..

this whole 90 day reporting I find completely ridiculous,

it's like they want to exert an almost sadistic control over us to make sure we are behaving as they want us to.

It's very authoritarian when you actually look at it from an objective standpoint.

when you are in it you kinda get used to it, but from an outsider looking in it does seem rather onerous.

but on the whole I go with the old 70/30 rule.

it was 70% good and 30% bad.

sadly the 30% was quite pronounced and Thailand has given me scars that may never heal.

I only hope that I don't take that resentment with me to my next destination.

and if there is a Thai sitting next to me on the plane, well, he/she is going to have a very memorable journey!

bob.

Or if you do really leave we'll be reading about you getting arrested as your plane lands

6 minutes ago, bob smith said:

great post mate!

I really appreciate your input.

Many here think I am a troll. That couldn't be further from the truth. I am just a very disgruntled expat that has been in Thailand way too long and is ready for a new challenge. I am not going home, I am moving on to (hopefully) greener pastures. Only time will tell if that is the case, but one thing is for sure - I have given Thailand my best shot and now it is someone else's turn...

bob.

Like many had said before I moved here. rent awhile to see if you fit in. If not, you leave. I miss home,and also would like to see places like Europe and other parts of Asia, but being re -established back home around family, hobbies and a better environment for bot myself and my daughter will give me those options more. I was one of the ones they warned about. Putting all your eggs in one basket. Not a good idea, as a few of my friends here still have homes back home to return or retreat to when you wanted. I don't have that so will have to start all over. One more and the last move of my life. pain in the arse but it will be worth it, as I'll feel better when my daughter is around a family that actually cares, and isn't there to take selfies to show off on facebook and hide your true feelings about. I'm a hunter and fisherman and hunting isn't allowed here, and fishing is only good in pay to fish places, private lakes and the ocean. Unlike America, there is no conservation of the waters so they get netted out by people only thinking of their next meal, and not tomorrow's. If I didn't have my girlfriend here, I would be a lot more bored. My daughter has only two friends here, as she is looked at as an outsider because she is half farang. That's something they grow up with, and it isn't a good thing if you aren't truly accepted. I know you can't pick your kids partners for them, and they can find idiots anywhere, but here to find a good, faithful husband is near impossible unless you want to be a farmer's wife, and that's not something I want for my daughter. Nothing wrong with being a farmer, as we all need them, but it's a very hard life with very little joy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Like many had said before I moved here. rent awhile to see if you fit in. If not, you leave. I miss home,and also would like to see places like Europe and other parts of Asia, but being re -established back home around family, hobbies and a better environment for bot myself and my daughter will give me those options more. I was one of the ones they warned about. Putting all your eggs in one basket. Not a good idea, as a few of my friends here still have homes back home to return or retreat to when you wanted. I don't have that so will have to start all over. One more and the last move of my life. pain in the arse but it will be worth it, as I'll feel better when my daughter is around a family that actually cares, and isn't there to take selfies to show off on facebook and hide your true feelings about. I'm a hunter and fisherman and hunting isn't allowed here, and fishing is only good in pay to fish places, private lakes and the ocean. Unlike America, there is no conservation of the waters so they get netted out by people only thinking of their next meal, and not tomorrow's. If I didn't have my girlfriend here, I would be a lot more bored. My daughter has only two friends here, as she is looked at as an outsider because she is half farang. That's something they grow up with, and it isn't a good thing if you aren't truly accepted. I know you can't pick your kids partners for them, and they can find idiots anywhere, but here to find a good, faithful husband is near impossible unless you want to be a farmer's wife, and that's not something I want for my daughter. Nothing wrong with being a farmer, as we all need them, but it's a very hard life with very little joy.

I wish you the best in your next move mate!

at least you have the balls to get up and go..

let the chips fall where they may.. I am sure everything will work out fine for you.

you seem intelligent and switched on, unlike some of the drones that have infested AN recently.

bob.

• Like 2

Just now, bob smith said:

Nothing.

I haven't been 'happy' here for over 10 years.

bob.

but leaving is not the solution. your problems will just go with you. each place has its own good and bad. wherever you go you will likely find other things you don't like. it is always a give and take. please reconsider before you do something you might regret. i feel your pain.  

6 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Try paragraphs. Hard to read otherwise.

Try reading more, easier to comprehend when you come across a large paragraph. . GG writes one sentence at a time, which is not right, but no one says anything. Seems it's easier for some older folk to comprehend if it's written in one sentence at a time instead of a large paragraph.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Just now, ABCDBKK said:

but leaving is not the solution. your problems will just go with you. each place has its own good and bad. wherever you go you will likely find other things you don't like. it is always a give and take. please reconsider before you do something you might regret. i feel your pain.  

The world is a big place.

Thailand is slap bang in the middle.

It is far from special.

It is mediocre at the very best.

I prefer the upper echelons, the big hitters, high human development, democracy, clean air and safe streets.

There you go, that's as much info as you are all getting about where I am heading.

bob.

Just now, bob smith said:

The world is a big place.

Thailand is slap bang in the middle.

It is far from special.

It is mediocre at the very best.

I prefer the upper echelons, the big hitters, high human development, democracy, clean air and safe streets.

There you go, that's as much info as you are all getting about where I am heading.

bob.

that's ok bob i'm only interested in you staying, not where you are planning to go. this is heartbreaking news. what about the new you, getting in shape, giving up booze and whoring, becoming mr Thailand universe?  that was a great plan. let's go with that instead. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've never been treated in this manner. 

I reckon you'd be treated with suspicion etc. wherever you go in the world. 

you don't do 90 reports then?

what do you call that?

bob.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Staying in a place you aren't comfortable in, feel fear in, are looked at like you are an outsider, a place where women and men pull knives on you for the slightest provocation, a place where you are seen as a walking ATM, isn't as good as trying your luck elsewhere. If you have the means to go and set up shop in another country, you might find it's where you really belong. People know their own countries and that's also an option, unless they really hated their birthplace for some reason. If you haven't any children, leaving is a lot easier. If you have a wife you love, she needs to follow you wherever you go, because not being happy in a place puts it's mark on the relationship. Some problems you always have with you. Some are from the environment you live in. Just like a person with depression, leaving a toxic environment greatly increases your chance for better mental health. Same for those not suffering from clinical depression. A bad environment (to you) isn't a place you need to stay in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

you don't do 90 reports then?

what do you call that?

bob.

90 day reports only take 2 minutes to do online. The info you give never changes. It's not an invasion of privacy. They know where you live already by now. You do it 4 times a year. Barely 10 minutes total out of your life in a year. It it is a nothing burger. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1